How long does the insomina last after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does the insomina last after surgery? How long does the insomina last after surgery?

Unread 05-15-2005, 03:55 AM
How long does the insomina last after surgery?

I can't remember the day of the week it is, but I haven't slept a solid night since April 24th. Surgery was May 9th and the sleeplessness has been worse since surgery.

How long till things will get back to normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 04:08 AM

HI Kelly,

I think many factors may have a play in the insomnia. For me, I think my problems were only(are only - still have it) in part hormonal. I think after awhile it became "habit". And stress, and life - lol

I am probably the wrong person to ask for hope of a good sleep - I hope some of the other ladies can help you better as I still battle insomnia but it *is* better than it was pre-op.

I would suggest however, if you are still not sleeping well, to perhaps talk to your doctor. Maybe your doctor can prescribe something short term to help you get a few good nights sleep. I find that if I am able to sleep two or three nights rather well, I can sleep to some degree without the meds for awhile.

Do you get any rest during the day? Are you taking it easy? Are you controlling pain? Think of all these things and maybe you can answer a bit of your own question.

Hugs
Julia
Unread 05-15-2005, 06:48 AM

I am trying very hard to take it easy and did nothing except walk from my bedroom to the livingroom a couple times yesterday.

I normally take 1 nap in the early afternoon for about 2 hours.

I am taking my pain control alternating between the 2 every 4 hours.

I am drinking approximatly 4 to 5 32 ounce glasses of water per day.

I am definatly calling the doctor tomorrow morning because along with lack of sleep, I have still not had a bm.

last night I slept longer than I have so far, I went to sleep about 10 and woke up at 2 this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2005, 07:58 AM

(((Kelly))))

Yes call your doc. That does not sound right, you are taking it easy, taking the meds regularly and not overly sleeping during the day.

Also ask your doc about something like GasX - a lot of times the gas builds up and prevents a BM and causes discomfort.

Please let us know what your doc says tomorrow.

s
Julia
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:48 AM

I had to totally cut out napping during the day in order to sleep at night. I lay down and rest, but read a book or watch TV rather than sleeping. Have been doing this since day 4 post-op. Also, drinking five 32 ounce glasses of water per day is a lot. Is your bladder waking you up to go to the bathroom? Although drinking a lot of water is good, it can contribute to getting you up throughout the night. I hope you can find a resolution to this.
Ashley
Unread 05-15-2005, 10:34 AM
a good nights sleep

Oh, I hate that post op time when you can't sleep.
Hopefully you are off of work for a while yet, so can sleep when you need to. If you come online in the middle of the night, you will see there are other Hystersisters that are having the same problem.

I have heard it was hormonal, but I was on the Vivelle patch from the day after surgery and I still had at least a month of not sleeping at night. My doc's nurse told me she had just read some research that said not to do the computer or watch TV-something about the flickering light keeping you awake longer. But I did it anyhow.

I think it is just what happens post op for some women no matter what you do. I began sleeping through the night much better after about 6-8 weeks. It did get better, and now I only get up to go to the bathroom, then fall back asleep right away.

Unread 05-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Drinking plenty of water is good for you. I have been reading recently that too much water can be very harmful. I would think that 5 32 ounce servings a day might fall into the harmful range. I am not sure, but it would be worth looking into.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register