about hot flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

about hot flashes about hot flashes

Unread 05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
about hot flashes

I feel kinda dumb asking this question. So here it goes. How do you know you are having hot flashes or just sweating or just warm. A few days ago I think I may of had one where I got dizzy, and little nausea and then i started to feel kinda warm and sweat a little but it only last maybe 2 to 3 minutes. Was I experiencing a hot flash but that is the only time I experience that since my surgery. I still have one ovary yet. Was I having a hot flash? I just wondering how can you tell the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 01:26 PM
about hot flashes

Hi Lisa,

I am so glad you asked this question as I am also experiencing dizziness, nausea and a cold sweat(but feel hot and sweaty too) where I feel I am going to pass out.

I understand this may be related to pain meds for me but not sure. I don't believe you get all these other symptoms with a hot flash. I have heard women mention sometimes their skin gets flushed or red???

That's my two cents for what it's worth but I will keep an eye on this post too. I too have both my ovaries but have been told they may be sleeping for a couple of months.

My situation may be different as I just spent 9 more days in hospital with Deep Vein Thrombosis aka blood clot in my tummy.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-30-2008, 01:49 PM
about hot flashes

Well, I started having hot flashes about 5 days after my hyst. (I had both ovaries removed). They weren't too bad to begin with, but let me tell ya, they've gotten progressively worse. I live in the midwest & it's been hot & humid, so I was wondering too if I was just hot or having a hot flash. The difference I figured out (in my case anyway) is that when it's a hot flash I feel like a flushing heat through my body. Like, if you've ever had a CT scan done & when they inject you with that contrast?? A hot flash for me feels like a milder version of that. I also get red in the face & neck, which should be fun to deal with when I'm in public more. I too also get dizzy, but not nauseous. Hope this helps & good luck keeping cool either way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
about hot flashes

Lisa&Tracy,

Were/are you taking any narcotic pain killers for post op pain?

I have been weaning myself off of mine and thought everything was going okay. I also thought I was fighting a cold/flu and apparently all of my symptoms are similar to withdrawl. He said naseau, fevers, chills, dizziness, weakness, headaches, sore throat (all flu-like symptoms).

I have had hot flashes due to the Synarel I was taking for 9 months pre-op and they would come on like a shot, flushing red in my chest, neck and face (like MtGrl) and I was sweaty and hot to touch. No other symptoms, it can last for 2 minutes or so. I got them more frequnetly if I had caffine or hot drinks. For the first week post op I woke up in full sweats but I have had nothing like that since.

My doc said with the slow weaning withdrawl and being off the Synarel, plus having one ovary my hormone levels will also be starting to fluctuate and I may be in for a bunch of wandering symptoms.

I hope this helps a bit and if you are unsure of anything it does pay to make a quick visit to check with your doc
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
about hot flashes

Thanks CocoChanel,

I am still taking pain meds ... Oxycontin as I have just been back in hospital for 9 days due to a blood clot in my tummy which is pressing on my ureter between my bladder and my kidney affecting my kidney function.

Some intersting points you make ... thank you for taking the time to post.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
about hot flashes

I only took the pain killers up to the first week maybe less than a week then after that I have not taken any. But I was on them alot before my surgery for pain for couple of month. Only thing I take for pain is ibroprofin(sp) for pain now. I was on a generic brand similiar to vicodin.
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
about hot flashes

Your most welcome Tracy!

I took high doses of time released (Dilaudid) painkillers for a full month pre-op and then over a week post op.

I have been tapering my dose since then, so he said it is my body adjusting to the drop in dose.

For a church girl it's quite funny to be expriencing withdrawl at 37! It is bareable though, and I wouldn't trade anyhting for the opportunity to live comfortably for the month leading up to the surgery.
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:47 PM
about hot flashes

Lisa,

I'm glad you posted this. I've been getting what I would call super warm "flushes." That might make them sound pleasant but they're not, it's like heat is closing in on me or coming out of me, and it's distracting and uncomfortable. I've had some nausea, some headaches, cold-clamminess. None of mine can be related to pain meds because I haven't been taking them, only an occasional advil. I usually wake up with my pj's damp from sweating, but it's not anything that keeps me awake at night.

Tracy, I'm sorry to learn of your complication, but I'm very happy to hear you're on the mend now.

Coco, speaking of Dilaudid, that's what my doc ordered for me in the hospital, and I had a headache the whole time I was there. When I got home and took a Rx for same to the pharmacy they wouldn't fill it: They said it was a derivative of codeine, which I can't take because it gives me migraines. My surgeon KNEW this, I put it on every form that asked for allergies, etc. It's so frustrating to speak at the top of your lungs and STILL not be heard. Oh, well. I learned something new.

Unread 05-30-2008, 09:49 PM
about hot flashes

Tracy,

How long is the recovery from this new complication for you? and how did they discover it?

Goldie,

That can be so frustrating. I had a discussion with a pre-op nurse about "allergies" vrs "sensitivites" with meds. Apparently naseau, vomitting and headaches aren't an allergy so they can let those things slip by?That must have made your hospital stay a little less than comfortable!
What did they give you instead?

I hope all 3 of you ladies start to feel better and a cooler soon!
Unread 05-31-2008, 07:59 AM
about hot flashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoChanel
Tracy,

How long is the recovery from this new complication for you? and how did they discover it?
Hi CocoChanel,

The recovery is at least 4 weeks and that is all I know at this point. I have a home nurse everyday for 4 weeks and at the three week mark I have another CAT scan to view the clot. I am only permitted to walk around my house and if I go outside the house I must be in a wheelchair as they fear the clot will dislodge and travel to my lungs or heart which could be fatal. It is most frustrating but hey ... I'm alive!

They discovered it when my hubby dragged me back to emerg because I was still in pain at the three week mark, had brown smelly discharge and just felt yucky.

I thought I had a bladder infection and we agreed to go to a walk in clinic as I hate emerg and feel it is for really ill people. But when we got near the clinic he drove by and carried on to the hospital.

I was angry and he told me he loved me to bits and didn't want to see me suffer so if I was going to be stubborn and not go to emerg ... he would have to take me by force ... LOL

Anyway after many tests (about 10) they determined what was going on.

I hope I have answered your questions and sorry to ramble on.

Hugs,
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register