Different since surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Different since surgery Different since surgery

Unread 09-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Different since surgery

It has been nine weeks since surgery and I am not the same. I have this giant scare on my abdomen that either is sensitive, itches, or just hurts once in a while. My skin is broken out--I have more acne now than when I was a teenager so I am afraid to show my face anywhere.
I am also very depressed. I don't want to work, I don't want to go out, I don't want to do anything and nothing makes me happy except when my little doggie bounces around like a bunny. Since surgery I am don't know myself anymore and I don't have any goals, hopes, dreams or even a heart's desire anymore because the surgery took that hope away.

Do you find redirection after all of this. Does someone else feel this way and what are you doing about it.

Is there an end to all of this? Will I ever feel better? Will my skin clear up?

Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Different since surgery

I'm sorry you find post op life so dismal. Are you on hrt?
I wanted to die every night for the first 3 years post op--can't explain, just a horrible physical/emotional rush.
Bio-identical hormones helped much with this.
Yes, skin took a dive as did muscle tone. The whole aftermath can diminish hope/aspirations. I've lost considerable enthusiasm for life. Have to make a list of blessings to kick myself out of self-pity.
One health
guru says acne is due to a lack of zinc. A liquid mineral supplement might help. Are you able to exercise? Maybe an evening walk with your dog? Our little dog is fast and enduring. We quick step several miles at a time. Been hiking for years--great to alleviate depression. Hope you improve soon. Please keep us posted.
Leigh
Unread 09-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Different since surgery

Hi pjyanz,
I am sorry that you are feeling so bad. Do you have anyone you can talk to? They may or may not understand what is going on. I know you are in the right place with us even though we may not be able to get to you in person we can listen and answer back whenever you need us. What does your dr. think about the possibliity of hormones? Have you discussed that yet? I hope it gets better for you
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2005, 05:55 AM
Different since surgery

Hi,

I'm 6 weeks post op and had a TAH kept ovaries. Although I can't relate to your emotions I can relate to your scared belly and face breaking out.

I now have 2 scars. One from c-sections and one from hyst. I was itching and it hurt once in a while so I used vitamin E oil and that helped a lot. It doesn't itch or hurt any more. Some times I get so frustrated that I didn't hire a PS to fix up my belly. Then I get mad at my doctor because he didn't tell me he would do a second incision so I could make a better decision. But, other than that my doctor has been great so I had to forgive him. So, I came to the point where I just had to say this is what I got and it could have been worse. You have to move on and just except it or you will go crazy.

I also am breaking out on my face. I always did during my periods, but now it seems to be all the time. I hoping this will change with time.

I really hope you get to feeling better about everything. Sometimes it helps to know some one else is having the same problems.

Cheryl
Unread 09-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Different since surgery

Hi there pjyanz, you're not alone feeling like this, I seemed to go ok up until 5 months post op (i'm not 8) then I started getting panic/anxiety attacks, I have had depression 20 years ago but since then I'd been ok and not had any major episodes until last June, when I had a bad attack, I got over that after about 6 weeks, then ended up in hospital with peritonitis in Sept. finally had to have SAH/BSO in Jan, the peritonitis had made a big mess and my gyn wasn't sure what he'd find till he went in there. So I was thrown into surgical menopause without any warning and no idea of what it entailed. I think it all hit me 3 mths ago, and since then I'm on anti-depressants and anxiety pills, which are not doing much good at the moment. I know what you mean about not wanting to go out etc, but somehow I force myself to go to work and do as much as I can, but to be honest I feel like I robot, I'm seeing a counsellor soon as I can't face the thought of feeling like this for every.
I really sympathise with you and hope you can get some help too.
Hugs from conyers
Unread 09-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Different since surgery

Talk to your doctor. Some of the things you mention sound hormonal. The Hormone Jungle on this website has a really good article called "Too much/too little". I read a lot about my surgery before I had it but nothing on hormones (stupid me!). I just thought you take a pill and it's okay. Boy, did I learn better. Depression and lack of motivation can also be signs of a hormone imbalance. Could also just be depression. Either way, both are treatable.
Unread 09-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Different since surgery

no exactly how you are feeling...am sort of going through the daily motions here...the doctor started me on antidepressants and anxiety pills....seem to be helping alot...found a group about Menapause and the things women go through that started yesterday...so will be attending those...maybe that is something you could look for...got all my reports back after my 6wks check and all is great...am all healed inside and out...so take care...always ask God for help....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register