perineum/labia repair with glue? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

perineum/labia repair with glue? perineum/labia repair with glue?

Unread 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
perineum/labia repair with glue?

Hello fellow princesses,

I have a question that I've pondered since having my last child (20yrs ago) but have been too embarressed to ask doctors or anyone else. This site has made me feel more comfortable talking about this and Ive decided to take the plunge and post this.

My outer labia is 'open' pretty much all the way to the rectum. Ive know because Ive looked at my bottom several times since having this surgery. Ive always thought something didnt feel right down there but no doctor has said otherwise to me. I know I had episiotomies with each birth (4) and tore with at least one of them. It seems to me that I should have been sewn up down there.

Is this normal? Anyone else have this? If its not normal why would a doctor not say something or this doctor sew me up after the LAVH?

I feel my bottom needs to be closed up a bit towards the back. Looks and feels like the outer labia is open too much. I see my doctor next week, I wish like heck that she had sewn me up while I was under, after the LAVH.

So im looking at options and I see online that it maybe possible to glue it instead of sutures. As much as I want it closed Im not too thrilled at the thought of being sewn up down there while Im awake!

Anyone know anything about the glue?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Re: perineum/labia ?

Hi silentfilms I would definitely ask your DR about this if you feel it's not right. I'd be worried about the increased danger of infection due to the proximity, if indeed it's not normal (we can't tell that over the Internet).

I had a lot of tearing from vaginal births - with one I tore all the way through to the rectum (4th degree), but it was sewn up at the time, not well by my standards though. During the TVH, my doctor took the opportunity to do a nicer job of fixing things there (the previous repair wasn't her work) and other than a scar, I think things there are 'normal' now, within the wide range that is normal.

I hope this helps. Don't be embarassed... you can always raise the subject with your DR as you're concerned about a possible increased risk of infection if you're too shy to raise it just because of the way it looks.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Re: perineum/labia repair with glue?

Hi (((silentfilms)))

I agree that you shouldn't hesitate to talk to your doctor about it, even if it means a referral to a different doctor. Please keep us updated if you can. Even if you were to get sutures, perhaps it wouldn't be that bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM

(((silentfilms))) I doubt that your DR would suture you while you're completely awake. For example, I had a minor vaginal surgery a couple of months after my hysterectomy to repair scar tissue that had formed in there... they didn't use regular general anesthesia, but used a large dose of Versed (same stuff they use during colonoscopies)... I suppose technically I was awake, but I was completely oblivious and did not remember it when I 'woke up'. Also I was able to come out of it very fast and go home about an hour after the surgeon finished.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM

You would be surprised what they can do. I had a major surgery with my total pelvic exenteration. My incision ended up being from the pubic area well past my abdomen towards my chest (because things were worse once I was opened up so they had to go higher to make sure things did not spread in order to go on with the surgery). Anyway, I am so very thankful to my surgeon, he did not using any external stitches or staples (I was afraid of these things but never mentioned it because of the nature of the surgery, I expected it).

I could not believe when I got the nerve to look HE GLUED MY INCISIONS BACK, NOT ONE STITCH OR STAPLE. What would've been a nasty looking large incision scar is barely noticeable as it heals. When I show people they are amazed and over time it will only heal more, and the nurse suggested I use Vitamin E over it to help healing and any scarring even more.

Just wanted to share my experience with the glue. I wish you luck and hope your issues get resolved.
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM

That would be awesome if she could just glue my butt back together!

Thank you everyone for your input. I will keep you posted after Wednesday when I see her.
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Well I saw the doctor today and feel SO much better. She examined me externally and found a cyst between my vaginal opening and the rear opening right inside the outer labia. She said the cyst was bulging and pushing things out making them look more open and most likely the cause of the pressure and burning I felt down there.

I had the pleasure of her injecting me with lidocaine down there and lancing the cyst then squeezing out quite abit of gunk. She was surprised at how much kept coming out. It was a very weird color, like a lite brown with a touch of mauve in it! And it was very thick. She sent off a culture and started me on antibiotics. Hopefully it wont fill up again, she said theres a chance it will. She said otherwise I look perfectly normal down there for someone whos given birth vaginally.

Im back home in pjs, gonna put some ice on my periarea and put my legs up and know that all is well with my peri area, at least for now!
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register