Questions and concerns about upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions and concerns about upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy Questions and concerns about upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy

Unread 02-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Questions and concerns about upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy

Hello. I'm still trying to understand what LAV means and I do not know if I will be keeping my cervix and so many more ? To ask doctor and I had a horrible laproscioic removal of a cyst on ovary 20yrs ago so hoping things have changed since them because it was horrific in that I felt like I had air in chest. I would second opinion. HUGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Re: Questions and concerns about upcoming laparoscopic hysterectomy

I had the LAVH which is a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. That means a lot of work is done through small lap incisions, but the uterus is delivered vaginally and the vaginal cuff is created vaginally.

If you are having the LAVH, your entire uterus with cervix will be removed. To keep your cervix, you generally need a surgery that does not involve vaginal delivery of the uterus. One option is the LSH which is a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. With that surgery, the upper part of the uterus is cut from the cervix. (The cervix is not a separate organ; instead, it is the bottom or neck of the uterus.) That upper part of the uterus is then cut into pieces and removed through the smaller lap incisions. There are other options as well, depending on your situation. Do you know exactly what type of hysterectomy you are having? Have you discussed the various options with your surgeon? What does your second opinion recommend?

Yes, things have changed a lot in the medical field. One of them is that some doctors have learned some techniques to help minimize the pain of air in the chest following a lap surgery. Unfortunately, sometimes it can still be a problem. I had no issues from that for my first lap or LAVH, but I did have terrible pain with it following a lap after my hysterectomy.

If it was a concern for you before, mention it to your doctor at your pre-op appointment. Maybe he can take some extra steps to help minimize the effects of the lap gas.

Unread 02-21-2017, 06:29 AM

My surgeon had originally planned to do an LAVH, citing the cancer risk from morcellation; also, I had fibroids, and he was concerned about more growing on the cervix in the future. However, my cervix was perfectly healthy, with no history of cancer or other issues, and my research indicated that I'd be better off keeping it. When we discussed it at our next appointment, he admitted that my cancer risk was about 1/500, because I'd had the fibroids for 9 years, and so we settled on LSH, which turned out exceptionally well. For me, the lap gas caused excruciating shoulder pain; what helped me with that included regular walks and peppermint tea - other sisters have recommended a heating pad. Now, 22 months later, I've had no cervical fibroids or other issues. You need to doyour own research - we have articles that can help with that - and speak to your surgeon, to decide what's best for your individual situation. We'll be with you whatever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiser View Post

I had the lavh which is a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. That means a lot of work is done through small lap incisions, but the uterus is delivered vaginally and the vaginal cuff is created vaginally.

If you are having the lavh, your entire uterus with cervix will be removed. To keep your cervix, you generally need a surgery that does not involve vaginal delivery of the uterus. One option is the lsh which is a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. With that surgery, the upper part of the uterus is cut from the cervix. (the cervix is not a separate organ; instead, it is the bottom or neck of the uterus.) that upper part of the uterus is then cut into pieces and removed through the smaller lap incisions. There are other options as well, depending on your situation. Do you know exactly what type of hysterectomy you are having? Have you discussed the various options with your surgeon? What does your second opinion recommend?

Yes, things have changed a lot in the medical field. One of them is that some doctors have learned some techniques to help minimize the pain of air in the chest following a lap surgery. Unfortunately, sometimes it can still be a problem. I had no issues from that for my first lap or lavh, but i did have terrible pain with it following a lap after my hysterectomy.

if it was a concern for you before, mention it to your doctor at your pre-op appointment. Maybe he can take some extra steps to help minimize the effects of the lap gas.

hugs
Unread 02-21-2017, 02:24 PM

I so appreciate you defining what LAV and it is so much more comforting reading it from someone you has experienced it rather then look it up as a text book definition if that makes any sense. I still do not know what type of hystertomy I will be having but I'm forever grateful for your life saving information and that is good to tell Dr. about my previous bad experience with the lao gas.
. I also did not know that my cervix was part of my uterus 😁 I thought it was part of my vagina 😂 I have ADENOMYOSIS AND FIBROID TUMORS IN MY UTERUS ALONG WITH A CYST ON MY OVARY.
. It would be nice I guess I will not know till March 9 and I have been to 3 gynecologists' before I found one will to do this. The pain is so excruciating and I'm 48 and morbidly obese 5ft 6 in 265 ,diabetic,high blood pressure, and I did not want to lose my womb or uterus but I can't 😞 take the pain and irregular mentstruals and if they do come it feels as if I'm peeing but it is like a river of blood with clots or one month it may be for a day and black blood.
I wish 🌠 you knew how much I appreciate the love and support for I'm a control get up and go do it yourself and I have patience it is my family who lacks and is not very supportive and makes me sad so hearing from y'all helps and I can't thank you all enough.and I'm sorry if I complaining I'm blessed to have as much knowledge from hearing your "Journeys" sorry if I'm redundant or will be.
. I already have shoulder pain LOL 😂 due to osteroarthris and bone spurs so help me with the pressure that may be love love tea wonder why peppermint? I will REM I love tea 🍵 and coffee ☕ so pray 🙏 for me as I'm tired 😞 high risk but then it is a risk for us all. HUGS
Unread 02-21-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassytinkerbell View Post
. I already have shoulder pain LOL 😂 due to osteroarthris and bone spurs
I have a suggestion. I didn't think about telling anyone I had recently suffered from whiplash when I had my first lap. I ended up with neck misery from the positioning during surgery. So before my last surgery, I made sure EVERYONE knew I had a neck issue that had to be treated carefully.

I suggest you also make sure everyone knows you have this issue and be sure to tell the anesthesiologist. It can affect the medications you are given and how you are positioned. For my last surgery, the anesthesiologist walked in saying he had heard I had a neck problem. I said, Yep! We discussed it and when it was time to go into OR, he took extra time and care with positioning me before he would let the nurses start doing what they needed to. It worked and there was no extra neck pain.

Unread 02-21-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
My surgeon had originally planned to do an LAVH, citing the cancer risk from morcellation; also, I had fibroids, and he was concerned about more growing on the cervix in the future. However, my cervix was perfectly healthy, with no history of cancer or other issues, and my research indicated that I'd be better off keeping it. When we discussed it at our next appointment, he admitted that my cancer risk was about 1/500, because I'd had the fibroids for 9 years, and so we settled on LSH, which turned out exceptionally well. For me, the lap gas caused excruciating shoulder pain; what helped me with that included regular walks and peppermint tea - other sisters have recommended a heating pad. Now, 22 months later, I've had no cervical fibroids or other issues. You need to doyour own research - we have articles that can help with that - and speak to your surgeon, to decide what's best for your individual situation. We'll be with you whatever you decide!
Love
Unread 02-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Congratulations 🎉 on your LSH which means you get your uterus removed but keep your cervix. I'm so thankful and hoping you will forever see me through and I will definitely ask if I can keep my cervix since I have never had any problems. My womb is rotten. I keep telling myself since I have fibroids not sure size in my uterus and adenomyosis. I know I could look up medical information but it is better to hear it from a woman you has gone through it is that makes any sense. I'm going through all kinds of emotions and they say I have not started menopause yet? I'm 48 and a control freak not like Felix more like Oscar. Wish I was like Felix which was a TV show I grew up watching being a Sixties baby seventies child and Eighties Teen who never went wild. I try to find humor in things. Thanks for all you do. HUGS
Unread 02-21-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
I have a suggestion. I didn't think about telling anyone I had recently suffered from whiplash when I had my first lap. I ended up with neck misery from the positioning during surgery. So before my last surgery, I made sure EVERYONE knew I had a neck issue that had to be treated carefully.

I suggest you also make sure everyone knows you have this issue and be sure to tell the anesthesiologist. It can affect the medications you are given and how you are positioned. For my last surgery, the anesthesiologist walked in saying he had heard I had a neck problem. I said, Yep! We discussed it and when it was time to go into OR, he took extra time and care with positioning me before he would let the nurses start doing what they needed to. It worked and there was no extra neck pain.

Bless you
Unread 02-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Wow 😲 I would of totally not of thought to mention my herniated disks in c3 Through c7 so thank you thank you 😍 I'm just one big pain 😂 I was also told I have degenerative disc disease in my neck so no wonder I have been avoiding this hystertomy plus being told.by doctors I'm high risk and adenomyosis will go away after.menopause. I was hoping but I can no longer stand the pain which is constant and having diarrhea /constipation nausea belly.bloat Niagara falls menstruals and or bleed black for one day.
I'm 48 and falling apart no intimacy for me hurts to bad plus my husband is suffering from cluster headaches and says the pain he has is worse. It's not a competition. Thanks so.much love 💘 HUGS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register