Anti Embolic Stockings | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anti Embolic Stockings Anti Embolic Stockings

Unread 06-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

Hi all, new to site having just had a TAH and BSO. Don't know if anyone can help but I seem to remember one of the nurses saying it was advisable to keep wearing the anti embolic stockings for about 6 weeks. In all my literature it only states wearing them in hospital post op. Its summer, the sun is shining and I don't want two white legs! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

Hi,

I only had to wear the stockings while in the hospital. I was not sent home with them so I'm not sure if this is something your dr. wants you to do. You should check with them to be sure. Especially if you came come with them.
Unread 06-13-2005, 06:49 AM
ANTI EMBOLIC STOCKINGS

Hi Devonmaid
I had T.V.H on 22/04/05 and like you read all the literature I was given on discharge and thought I would go mad if I had to wear the stockings for any length of time ,so on day 9 post op I rang the gynea ward at the hospital I had been in and the senior staff nurse just asked me if I felt well generally and did I have any leg pains when I took them off to have a bath,my answer was yes to feeling well generally and no to the pain question,she said ok you can stop wearing them,in fact she said wear them as D.V.T preventive stockings when you fly long haul.As the D.V.T stockings cost about £12 a pair I thought that was a good suggestion.Good luck Pat xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2005, 06:54 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

Cheers, I came home with two pairs so have kept them on up until now, only taking them off for bathing. Will check when I pop in next week to take the nurses some choccys for putting up with me
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

I had my TAH 6 wks ago and was advised to wear them for 6 weeks at night and when i was resting during the day.I hated them but did wear them for 2 wks "just in case" i havent had any problems so far but its always wise to check with your surgeon/GP before stopping .I have been told i "Must wear them when we go on holiday in the car(for the journey)" but i really dont think i can ,so we will have plenty of stops along the way so i can move about and get the circulation going!! I fidget about anyway even in the car so it should'nt give me too many problems.
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

Hi I only had to wear them in hospital. I brought my own stockings in as I had them from a previous op, so was sent home with them (handy in case I need them again - god forbid). I also had to wear them when I went on a plane 5 weeks post op on the doctors advice. The nurse said as long as you keep moving while you're at home and not totally bed bound (even if you just getting up to go to the toilet and shower) you should be OK. If you feel pain in your legs or chest and get shortness of breath check with your doctor straight away. Good luck and keep moving without over doing it.
Unread 06-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

Hi devonmaid,

I wore my TEDs most of the first week after surgery, except when I took a shower. The second week after surgery, I left them off as long as I was walking around, I wore them if I was going to nap or sit in a chair for awhile. My doctor told me that I could take a baby aspirin each day, after three days on the aspirin I could stop wearing them. I elected to stay with the hose until close to my third week.

I'll be six weeks on Wednesday. I've been more active starting around week four.....so I stopped the aspirin and the hose.
Unread 06-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

I never received any TED hose after my surgery. Wasn't really upset about it as I know how difficult they can be to put on. I am a therapist and knew that I needed to keep the circulation going in my legs so I did a lot of ankle pumps while laying in bed. I also made sure I got up and did laps around the hospital and at home to keep away those deadly DVT's. Where I work, we recommend to patients to wear their TED hose for at least two weeks. I also tell pts. to have a conversation about the hose with their doctor to see what he/she recommends. There is a very easy way to put those hose on if anyone needs help with them. Just let me know. Take care and keep your chin up. Aboutface...
Unread 06-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

I didn't have TED hose I had these really neat things that blew up with air. The put them on hooked me up to a pump and the would alternate blowing up and going down. I kinda liked them, it felt like my legs were getting massages. They weren't tight when blown up just snug. I thought wow what a great invention.
Unread 06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Anti Embolic Stockings

Hi

I was sent home with 2 pairs and told to wear them for 2 - 3 weeks. I decided to err on the side of caution and wore them for 3 weeks.

Tight? Wow! I couldn't have got them on or off without DH's help! Was sooooo glad when the 3 weeks was up!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register