Unsure of what I need to do to get ready | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unsure of what I need to do to get ready Unsure of what I need to do to get ready

Unread 07-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Unsure of what I need to do to get ready

Hello! I am new to the group and am a little unsure of what I need to do to get ready for the operation. I am in the process of moving. I am packing and will be unpacking all before my surgery. I think this is what is keeping my mind off of the whole thing right now. I have made arrangements for my son to be taken care of while I am in the hospital.

What do I need to take to hospital and don't need to take to the hospital?

What all do I need to do before the trip to the hospital?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2003, 11:54 AM

They have a lot of great information including a list of things to bring to the hospital under the articles-hints section of the hystersisters home page....Good luck with the move and surgery...

Dawn
Unread 07-23-2003, 11:54 AM

Hi Purple Dolphin --

Just a suggestion but you might want to take a look at this:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

it's the list of pre-op hints and you'll find all kinds of helpful info and advice there.

Best of luck to you! Staying busy is the best way to keep from worrying!!

's

Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2003, 12:47 PM

Kristen -- the links others referred to are good, but here are my suggestions:

- bathrobe and slippers
- lip balm
- throat lozenges or hard candy to suck on
- magazines with short articles you can read if you're bored
- comb and/or brush
- your own toothbrush and toothpaste

Once you're in the castle, remember to drink plenty of water (sucking on ice chips definitely counts), and try to get up and moving as soon as you can. Don't be discouraged, though, if you are woozy the first time they try to get you up. I had to get some nausea medicine after the first time, but then it got easier and easier.

Finally, remember we are all here for you, wishing you a successful surgery and a perfect recovery!
Unread 07-23-2003, 02:56 PM

The only addition I would make is to be sure your pj's, if pants are NOT TIGHT. Your belly will be very sore. I took pj bottoms that were 2 sizes larger (in waist) for me and I was very glad
Unread 07-23-2003, 09:32 PM

Hi Kristen,

We have the same castle date. I have packed. unpacked repacked and unpacked it all again.. seems I can't decide what I wanna bring.. or if I even want to go.

robe, slippers, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lip gloss seem to be my standards. I don't think i want to bring my own pj's since I'm afraid they'll get messed up.. and why do more laundry if I don't need too. I've been told to bring a notebook and something to write with to help remember names of nice nurses/hospital personel to write thank you notes to, names of the nasty people so i can complain about them later, questions for the Dr incase the memory goes.. and most importantly for me is when the last time I took my asthma meds... i can't remember now I can't imagine what it's going to be like on hard core pain meds.

I wanted to bring my makeup case and contact lenses.. my dr didn't think those were a good idea since I wouldn't really care what I looked like afterwards. So.. contacts stay home.. glasses go to Castle.

Rumor has it on this board to bring treats for the people taking care of you.. I think that is a great idea.. I know I'm more apt to go visit differnt departments at work if I know they have treats around. (please seem post on the fluffy page... hehehee)

Stay in touch.. we can compare Castle Visits.
Unread 07-23-2003, 09:47 PM

I just got back today and here is what worked for me...
*Brush
*Lip butter (Lip Balm)
*Undies (my own)
*Pads for after the surgery when you are up. Using the ones from the hospital were cumbersome and didn't stay in place.
*my own pj's - I was able to change into them after they got me up and let me shower
*robe - great for covering the hiney while walking
*socks - Talk about a must to have. Feet tend to get cold following surgery.
*note pad - even though I didn't need it I still had it just in case
*slippers for when you walk. I have Isotoners. I am a natural clutz so having something that covered my entire foot helped.
*Lotion or body butter. I was able to apply this on the day that I took a shower. Made me feel much better.
Might want to bring your own body wash. Hospital kind is very sterile.
I didn't see a need for shampoo/conditioner. I didn't want to lug all that stuff and a hair dryer too! I thought that would be way to much.

I did have a book to read when I got bored but DH was there to keep me company most of the time.

The Nursing Staff was great. I plan to return to my floor when I go back for my check up (Dr's office is located next to the hospital) and take them some goodies.

Hope my little list helps.

Kelley
PS... the waiting will be worth it in the end
Unread 07-23-2003, 10:36 PM

Thank you for all the information on what to take to the hospital. That does help. I have an emergency C-section before but I didn't have anything with me for the stay. That was 15 years ago too.

I will start getting me some thing together for that day!

Take Care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register