what to bring? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to bring? what to bring?

Unread 09-06-2001, 11:50 AM
what to bring?

I am still not sure what to bring with meto the hosp.. If any of you were espically happy that you brought a certian item with you please let me know. I read the pull down but the list there seems very lng LOL! OH WELL !! tell me what you think.... I know none of you have a problem with that ~Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2001, 12:14 PM
what to bring?

Of everything that I brought, all I ended up using were:

slippers
robe
chapstick
goodies for staff
toothbrush/toothpaste
hair brush
deodorant

That was it! I ended up not needing any underwear or pads because I didn't have any bleeding, but you may want to pack some. I was too sick and nauseated to do any reading, and I didn't feel like putting on the pajamas I brought.

Good luck!
Unread 09-06-2001, 12:27 PM
what to bring?

I used:

slippers (make sure these are SLIP-ON, so you don't have the bend over to put them on!)
toothbrush/toothpaste
loose comfy shorts and t-shirt (for daytime wear, but I did sleep in the yucky hospital gown)
hairbrush and rubber band (I have long hair, and didn't want it all over the place)
glasses and contact lens stuff
2 good books (only finished one, 'cause I was too and to read at first)

I did bring undies, but didn't use them because they have these cool little mesh thingies at the hospital that are very easy on tender tummies, and will hold a napkin if you need it. I even wore a pair home! Also, just dressed in my "arrival" clothes when I checked out.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2001, 01:57 PM
what to bring?

What kind of goodies for the staff did you bring?

Unread 09-06-2001, 03:13 PM
what to bring?

I didn't like the mesh panties the hospital gives you. I brought:

large-sized panties
maxi and mini pads
knee length nightgowns
toothbrush, toothpaste
hairbrush
wrapped chocolates for the hospital staff
lip gloss for chapped lips
my address/phone book
slippers

And for my trip home:

soft cotton knit pull on shorts and top
pillow for the tummy
Unread 09-06-2001, 03:14 PM
what to bring?

and a robe for those walks down the hospital corridor
Unread 09-06-2001, 03:51 PM
what to bring?

I also loved the hospital provided mesh panties...and I did not bleed! (Haven't, for the first in months, since the day of my TAH!)

At my pre-surgery testing, I was actually told NOT to bring anything...just complicates matters. She did say that I could have my family member bring a pre-packed bag after I was in my room.

I suggest:
*Batteries to anyone with a hearing aid! (I forgot these! )
*Chapstick or gloss
*Small Compact to view your incision!
*Phone Numbers
*$20 or less for the gift cart (They come to you)
*Pillow(s) from home...their's are flat! It's always good having something familiar anyway.
*Going home clothes (I wore lounge pajamas home!)
*Slippers and warm fuzzy socks
*Your own shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotion...their's is cheap and yucky!

I never had a moment to read...was asleep or too fuzzy when awake. And a gift for the STAFF???? Hunh??? Wow...you Princesses really are thoughtful! I can see giving Doc something...once home from the Castle...at his office. But do you realize the amount of staff at a hospital that partake in your care??? I mean, you have a head nurse for each shift, each day. Plus all of the nurses aides. A nurse that manns the nurses station. Lab techs, volunteers, aides, interns, clergy...the list can go on and on. Maybe it would be best to have DH or a family member buy a HUGE box of sweets...cookies or donuts? And just leave them in your room with a littel note to "help yourself" and "Thank You for caring for me!"
Unread 09-06-2001, 03:53 PM
no rinse shampoo in addition to above mentioned

I have oily hair and brought something called N/R Laboratories no rinse shampoo. I bought it at Sally's Beauty Supply. I did use it. My husband put it on my head and towel dried my hair. It came in handy as I ended up staying in hospital for 4 nights and 5 days. I had complications and could not even get out of bed the day after surgery. If you feel the need to wash your hair every day, this might be something worth taking.
Unread 09-06-2001, 04:54 PM
what to bring?

I just got home 2 hours ago and I can tell you what I used...
I had an LAVH-BSO with AP repair. I took chapstick (lifesaver right after surgery!) a cd player with some soothing music...these were great at night when my roommate made noise or they came in to take blood etc at 4 a.m., a couple of really long nightshirts or tshirt...I walked the halls in these since I was on the med-surg floor and there weren't many up and about. I also just took socks because the floors were carpeted. I took pads but used theirs because they were like thin maxis and I do have bleeding from the stitches in the vagina. I only wore my undies to home because I sometimes leaked through the sides of the pad. I didn't take shampoo, wish I had. I took candies for the nurses, they didn't eat hardly any. I just wore one of my long shirts home. And don't forget a tummy pillow! I took one but my kids brought me up a small beany bear (about 12" high) and it worked much better. And take lotion! The leg cuffs they put on me ended up feeling like fiberglass after the first day and lotion would have been heavenly....and of course, take toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant and hairbrush...I'm off to rest now!

Karena
Unread 09-06-2001, 05:47 PM
what to bring?

I brought all that stuff, but also 2 stuffed animals! My purple good luck bunny and a bunny with angel wings! Hospital jammies were tight and stiff. I switched to my cotton capri soft jammies and short cotton robe on day day 3. I also brought $3.99 flip-flops at my local A&P which matched my lovely pink jammie outfit. LOL Flip-flops were great when I showered since they did not slip! Avon flavored lip gloss was an essential. I wore old, stretched out undies that I saved for months. Then finally threw away last week! My hospital supplied a beautiful cosmetic kit with shampoo, etc. I used it a lot! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register