2months postop and starting to get really discouraged... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2months postop and starting to get really discouraged... 2months postop and starting to get really discouraged...

Unread 08-21-2010, 08:55 PM
2months postop and starting to get really discouraged...

I had a LATVH with both ovaries removed 2 months ago on Aug. 16. I had complications with my surgery and lost quite a lot of blood what with bleeding before surgery and then during surgery. I refused the blood transfusions. I honestly thought that I would be up and going and doing my regular routine by 6 weeks and most certainly by 2 months. but I am not. I have some issues with my bladder and the medicine my Dr. gave is not working. Yesterday I awoke in a lot of pain and pretty much laid around all day and did nothing and today has not been any better. I feel like I did at 3-4 week mark. I am really starting to get discouraged with all of this crap. My Dr. told me that with my complications during surgery and the blood loss that it would take me longer to heal. My H&H still has not come up but a point on each and I am taking iron supplements and eating things high in iron. When I saw him on tuesday he said to give it two more weeks and if not any better by then to call him. With the way I have felt the last 2 days I am wondering when I am going to start feeling better. My husband has been fairly good until this morning. He can't understand why I am still in a lot of pain and so tired all the time. I felt like he was insuating(sp?) that I was exaggerating my pain. He also told me that I needed to loose some weight. I have gained about 20 pounds over the last 6 months due to all the bleeding and being depressed about it and so eat when I am feeling down. Of course my husband thinks that he is helping me . he even told me that I need to just grin and bear it and the more I get up and do then maybe I would feel better. So of course that put me on the defensive. You can only imagine how I feel now. I am almost always on the verge of tears and just miserable and this is not like me. Before surgery I was an active, happy 45 year old( before all the bleeding started that is) and now I am a mess all the way around. I am using a hormone patch. I know there is nothing anyone can do..I guess I just needed to write what I am feeling down and thought this would be a good place because I know you guys can relate and not bash me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Re: 2months postop and starting to get really discouraged...

I admit when I was anemic it took me a year to get back to normal, so it may take a lot longer than you're expecting to get your levels up (quicker than me I hope). I think your Dr is probably right that it will take longer but that's hard to hear. You've been through a lot and it takes time to heal. I'm sorry DH is not helping right now, that makes it harder. I hope you feel better soon. Keep giving it time. I'm sending support and hugs.
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM

I am so sorry you are not feeling well. It does get you down after a while to still have pain. I still had a lot more bad days than good days at 2 months. I would say around 5 months is were I really started to feel better. I know it doesn't help but all I can say is hang in there. Your body will heal & you will feel better again. You just have to get through it somehow. Maybe rent some good movies that you like? I hope you are feeling better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2010, 09:29 PM

Hi Countryliving,
I too had lost alot of blood, and am still on Iron pills as my bloodcount is slow to rebound. I had lost quite a bit of weight at first but sadly have slowly gained it back.
I am a slow healer but at six weeks post op, I'm going a little stir crazy. Still swollen and lots of cramping.
I know ( well pretty much know) what you're going through and can relate. We are the same age too !
Although my hubby is very supportive, he too sometimes says things he doesn't actually mean. They are guys after all and well they're not perfect. That title belongs to us !
Best thing I can suggest is find something to keep yourself occupied and make sure it's something positive.
I find when I keep my mind busy I don't get as depressed with all the delays in my recovery.
Wishing you all the best and hopefully the skies clear soon !
Hugs,
Hellokitty17
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Ok...well..lets start at the beginning...why did you refuse the transfusions? I had a transfusion...my H & H dropped 2 points in an afternoon...so what was your H&H? It usually takes your body months to get back to normal! You will be super sleepy and things will take you longer! Although my levels are back up to normal...I am still very sleepy...just continue to take vitamins and workout....well...walk That's about all we can do I guess
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbow81 View Post
Ok...well..lets start at the beginning...why did you refuse the transfusions? I had a transfusion...my H & H dropped 2 points in an afternoon...so what was your H&H? It usually takes your body months to get back to normal! You will be super sleepy and things will take you longer! Although my levels are back up to normal...I am still very sleepy...just continue to take vitamins and workout....well...walk That's about all we can do I guess
My H&H is 6 and 28. It was lower than that after surgery but has come up a couple of points each as of last week.
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:17 PM

I was on iron supplements for years due to my heavy periods and fibroids. At one point, prior to surgery, my hemoglobin was a 6. This is dangerously low. I also refused a transfusion because there's a possibility of death. My doctor recommended that I take a vitamin c 500 mg with once a day. Also, he advised that I drink orange juice with my meals. Vitamin c binds the iron (a good thing). My iron levels were rechecked quarterly. With the incorporation of drinking orange juice with meals and adding high iron foods to my diet, it didn't take a year to get my level back to a safe number. Try orange juice, vitamin c, and eating high iron foods. For me, these foods included raisins, blackstrap molasses, avocados, pumpkin seeds, and spinach.
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Prior to surgery my hemoglobin level was a 6, which is dangerously low...my doctor had me go into the ER for a transfusion (2 units).....it was still low (8.4) but she didn't want to attempt the surgery with it any lower....and believe me, I felt the difference after the transfusion - it was worth it. I'm still on supplements, iron rich foods etc to build my blood up (my post op was last Wednesday, I have to call tomorrow for my level to see where it is)......Some of the foods I have been eating is
plain oatmeal (not flavored, plain has more iron), the occasional spinach salad, nuts, prunes (those individually wrapped Sunkist prunes are good!). I had not heard about the Vitamin C as it relates to iron, so I'll try that too. I haven't started "exercising" yet since I only got clearance to do so on Wednesday (8/18), but will....I do still get really sleepy!!!! I "hit the wall" at the end of the day so it'll be interesting since I'm going back to work tomorrow!!!
Good luck!
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Ask your husband if he is a colleague of your surgeon's. If not, then he has no basis to comment on your recovery milestones.

I've always taken iron (slow Fe) prior to surgery, as my levels are usually just barely acceptable. I donate blood and platelets and have been deferred a few times due to low iron.

Since the surgery I have not restarted the iron because I ran out, and also for fear of constipation. But, I get a bit dizzy when I get up from resting, so I think I'll get some more today.

On day 9 postop I started the Jenny Craig plan. I decided that since my appetite was low and I am less active than usual, that now would be a good time to do this. (My goal is to lose 26lbs.) The plan has me eating more salads, veggies and spinach than I normally do, and so I think that will also help with the iron. (FYI, I get weighed tomorrow, so will see if this is working. I think it is. My scale is showing a 5 lb loss, but most of that is water, since it's a low sodium program.)
Unread 08-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryliving45 View Post
My H&H is 6 and 28. It was lower than that after surgery but has come up a hcouple of points each as of last week.
Oh my...that's crazy low! Why did you not take the transfusion....you could've died woman! I mean...I know that some people have religious views on not doing that...my thing is...as long as I get some A positive..I am good to go...mine was 7.4 when I had my transfusion....if it gets under 9...they do transfusions with the doctors I work with. Girlfriend....you need to re-think this whole transfusion thing....it will make a WORLD of difference in how you feel and heal up. Your body is trying to heal...help it out some. Bring up your blood count. You have been taking iron for how long and your count is still that low...dang girlie...help out your body..please!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register