Friends say my surg is no big deal. - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Friends say my surg is no big deal. Friends say my surg is no big deal.

Unread 09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Re: Friends say my surg is no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Gotta wonder if it's because apx 50% of the population will never, ever have to face having a hysterectomy - and it's the 50% that makes most of the rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Booho, you need to remeber that there was a reason you had your surgery. That means you are not only healing from what the doctor did, but from what your body was doing to itsself. I was terribly sick from the pressure my fibroids were putting on my insides. So once the stitches were healed my body still had to deal with anemia, with the stress put on the bowels and other small things that occured before the surgery. The only person who needs to understand is, ultimately you. Their comments can only upset you if they hit home...so give yourself permission to heal at the rate you heal and not when they think you should heal. Afterall, it's your body and nobody else knows what is happening inside of it.
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
If there's one thing that you should learn from the hysterectomy experience, it's that you don't *always* need to be pleasing everyone else all the time. Set aside time to treat yourself as Number 1! :-)
I agree with this 100%. I feel like my hysterectomy was medically necessary but also mentally/emotionally helpful. Taught me it's ok to let others help (big thanks to my daughter), and ok to feel how I feel, regardless of how someone else THINKS I should feel.

I hope you're feeling better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
Booho, you need to remeber that there was a reason you had your surgery. That means you are not only healing from what the doctor did, but from what your body was doing to itsself. I was terribly sick from the pressure my fibroids were putting on my insides. So once the stitches were healed my body still had to deal with anemia, with the stress put on the bowels and other small things that occured before the surgery. The only person who needs to understand is, ultimately you. Their comments can only upset you if they hit home...so give yourself permission to heal at the rate you heal and not when they think you should heal. Afterall, it's your body and nobody else knows what is happening inside of it.
Very true true shelfish thanks. I know im not done healing and its ok regardlees of what others think.
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_ View Post
I agree with this 100%. I feel like my hysterectomy was medically necessary but also mentally/emotionally helpful. Taught me it's ok to let others help (big thanks to my daughter), and ok to feel how I feel, regardless of how someone else THINKS I should feel.

I hope you're feeling better soon.
Thank you mary. Iam feeling a little better.

Unread 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM

Wow - are you sure they are "friends"? It took me a good 8 to 10 weeks to start feeling somewhat normal and even longer to get my hormones balanced. Take no notice of these "friends" - take it easy and remember you only get to heal once PROPERLY.

xoxo
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM

A hysterectomy is a HUGE deal. No matter which type of surgery you have it is MAJOR surgery!!! You need to be very careful afterwards and follow your doctors instructions. Yes, you look ok on the outside but are healing on the inside, often with many, many internal stitches. If your friends do not understand this, give them some of the information on here to read so they do understand. Even when you do start feeling better after a few weeks, you are still healing and still need to take it easy. It can even take months before you really feel back to normal.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:07 AM

Wow,
I know exactly what you're saying. 1 week post and some can't understand why I'm not "doing anything" or doing usual activities and I had a TAH!! I listen to my doctor and I've been tempted to say " I'll listen when you get that medical license." Don't let it get you down. I'm not doing too bad but did a little more walking than I should have the other day and boy, did I pay for it. So listen to your doctor and your body. I also think that women can be especially bad because we're expected to be some kind of martyr. I know a few that are. My friend had a vaginal hysterectomy some 25 years ago and is always saying how she was back home taking care of the kids because she had no one to help her and did just fine. Sigh, in most things she is a dear friend but when she pulls her martyrdom attitude i get pretty irritated.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:12 AM

I wonder if people say hysterectomy is no big deal because it is a very common procedure? Anytime you are required to be out of work for four or more weeks, means surgery was a big deal! please continue to take care of yourself and take as much time as you need!
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Unless someone has been through what you have been through, they should just be quiet. True friends would be supportive instead of judging. Hope you are feeling better soon. Your body will heal in its own time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register