Hysteroscopy / D&C recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysteroscopy / D&C recovery Hysteroscopy / D&C recovery

Unread 06-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Hysteroscopy / D&C recovery

Hey All!

My friend is having a D&C and Hysteroscopy. Her
Doctor is telling her that she'll need a week to recover. She's had other surgeries and thinks that the week recovery time seems like a long time for what they are doing? Has anybody been through this who can offer some insight into the recovery from these procedures?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2006, 05:23 PM

I had the same procedures two weeks ago on an outpatient basis. It was about one hour from the time they gave me the IV until the doctor talked to my family in the waiting room to tell them I was okay. I was discharged from the hospital one hour after I woke up. They told me that I could not drive home. I felt fine enough to drive (but I did follow their advice).

Before the procedures my ob/gyn told me to take 2 days off of work (one for the procedure and the other to recover). Her office manager told me they wanted me to take the 2nd day off work because they did not want me to drive until I was 24 hours post-op.

When I came home from the hospital, I slept on and off the rest of the day. The next day when I woke up, I felt a little tired however I was well enough to go to the mall for about 2 hours and to the beauty salon for about 3 hours. The next day I went back to work and felt like I never had the procedure.

My D&C was done because my doctor did not get enough tissue for a biopsy in her office so my D&C was for a "simple" procedure. Maybe your friend is having a D&C for more complex reasons. I would encourage her to ask her doctor why does she need a week to recover. If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a private message.
Unread 06-22-2006, 05:44 PM

Hi NC_123
I had my hysteroscopy/D&C done 8 days ago. Yes, the day I had it done was a bit rough, got to the hospital at 12:30 and was home by 5pm or so. The day after I was actually feeling pretty good. Been a bit draggy, not painful exactly, just "dragged through a knothole" achy since then. Dr. gave me a prescription for Darvocet and only took one pill one night. Tylenol has been just fine, otherwise.
I know each person reacts differently and hope your friend does well! Good thoughts are with her.
Jacki in FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2006, 06:31 PM

When I had my hysteroscopy and d & c in March I was at the hospital for a few hours. I was given what they called, "heavy sedation." I didn't take anything more than tylenol once I was home. I didn't remember much from the hospital but my husband told me that I seemed like I was in pain when he came back to my cubby. My doctor said that generally she likes to do them on a Thursday and her patients go back to work on Monday.
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:14 PM

I've had 4 of them, with varying experiences based on a variety of issues. For the worst of them, I bled in lessening degrees for about 1 week. In the same case, I was a bit off the day after. When I did try to resume full activities (gym and I swing dance) I had to take it slower then typical for about a week as I found I'd get weak. Other then activites that I exerted myself alot, I was fine.

Other D&Cs, I was back to normal within 3 days.

Angelnight
Unread 06-23-2006, 01:34 AM

When I had mine done, I was a mess. I was sick from the anesthesia the entire first day, but the interesting stuff happened on day#2. I started hemorraging. I'd had mine done on a Friday so that I could get back to work on Sunday night. I was such a BLOODY mess that I couldn't stay longer than about 4 hours. I was in the restroom every 20 - 30 minutes changing the pad (rule was nothing in the vagina for 8 weeks). I went through my entire supply of about 10 before I had to leave or risk terrible embarrassment when my coworkers arrived. The next day was just as bad, and so was the day after. I had to work those days from home except for the things that HAD to be done at the office. Not fun. I will say that it is possible that an entire week may be necessary, depending on what she had done. My surgeon (at that time) told me to expect 1 day. She SHOULD have said 1 week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register