Information about a myomectomy, please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Information about a myomectomy, please Information about a myomectomy, please

Unread 06-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Information about a myomectomy, please

i'm new to this site, as i just received the news that i have multiple fibroid tumors, "too numerous to count", as the report says. they only measured the 4 largest, ranging in size from 4.3cm-7.5cm. my dr. says what i choose to do from here is completely up to me. she says i can observe, have a myomectomy, embolization, or remove my uterus.
i've had two back surgeries in the past. despite the fact that i'm ok from them, i really just don't want another surgery. but, i'm willing to consider it, if it's right for me.
i'm looking for feedback from those of you that have had a myomectomy - what is the recovery like? are you glad you did it, or do you regret it? do you recommend it?
i realize that it is impossible to remove all of the smaller tumors without a hysterectomy, but i just don't want to jeopardize my chances of having a child. i'm 32, and would like to still have the option. does that make sense? basically, i was never really sure, and now, i feel like i'm being forced to decide NOW. it's really an awful feeling.
if anyone has any insight for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM

Hi Slane,

Just wondering, are your fibroids causing you any symptoms that you can no longer live with? If they are not interfering w/ your life, then hold off, and go the "wait-and-see" route. I had 6 grapefruit sized fibroids at age 35 (biggest was 8 or 9cm). They were painful and I was told that I couldn't get pregnant... but the day before my hysterectomy they found out that I was pregnant!!! After a high-risk pregnancy, then C-section to deliver one fibroid and one baby, I had a myo 1 year later to remove the remaining 5 'broids... although there were many, many smaller ones... my utereus was so sutured they stopped counting stitches, but my ob/gyn said that I could try to get pregnant again. Although for me, that thought is a little scary after all that I went through. Now, I am 38 years old, and am looking forward to my scheduled hyst to remove the new, large, and old fibroids for good!

I am glad that I did the myomectomy, bcs. at least I tried a more conservative approach. I am not glad that they grew back (causing me to suffer or choose more surgery). Kinda makes me wish that I had a hyst instead. They myo for me was a vertical abdominal incision... it seems as rough as the abd hyst. If you can get a laparoscopic procedure (either abdominally or vaginally) the recover is usually easier and faster.

Thats just my story. I hope it helps you in some way. Don't feel pressured into making a rash or immediate decision. Take your time and decide when you are ready to decide! I wish you all the best!!
Unread 06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
thank you

thank you for sharing your experience with me. it helps me as i go though the process to make the choice of what i want to do. my family is pulling for the myomectomy, of course, b/c i'm a newlywed - and they don't want to jeopardize the possibility of having children around. i guess i can understand that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2006, 04:04 PM

Here is a link to the fibroids section of our resource database: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26. You may also wish to check out Hope For Fibroids - Uterine Fibroids-Other Sources-Fibroid and Women's Health Books.

Have you sought a second opinion about your situation?

Feel free to use the search tab at the upper right of your screen to search for phrases concerning your options and diagnoses. This way you can find older threads by other ladies who have had similar experiences.

Many best wishes to you!
Unread 06-27-2006, 05:40 PM

although I had a few myomectomies, even if I would have known the outcome for me would have eventually been a hysterectomy, I too would still have gone the same route. It was the best one for ME.

Recovery from the two surgeries I felt were similar.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register