Just wandering..any other Aussie's here atm... post-op check-ups? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just wandering..any other Aussie's here atm... post-op check-ups? Just wandering..any other Aussie's here atm... post-op check-ups?

Unread 10-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Just wandering..any other Aussie's here atm... post-op check-ups?

Hi everyone, I'msp lucky to have come across and joined this group. It has put my mind at ease reading and relating to so many posts.

But I have noticed that most women are saying they have 2 week & 6 week post op checkups.

I was told on discharge from hospital to see my GP or come to ER if I needed to before my 6wk appointment.

So that's why I'm putting a call out to other Australian hystersisters. Was this just my Dr's routine because I'm a public patient.? I think I would have welcomed a 2wk post op chat. I still don't know exactly what was done.

So Aussie ladies jump in if your lurking, I mistakenly thought this site was only for adds, when I first came across it mths ago. So happy I came back for another look.
Best wishes to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2015, 07:03 AM
Re: Just wandering..any other Aussie's here atm... post-op check-ups?

I'm Canadian and had one post-op appointment at four weeks. (This might have been influenced by the fact that I had a two-hour bus ride to get to the city where my doctor is based. Trying to make the trip at two weeks would have been pretty miserable.)

I've also heard from several sisters in the UK who don't have post-op appts with their surgeon at all but rather are told to call their GP if anything arises.

So you're right, post-op appt strategies can be strongly influenced by country and healthcare system.
Unread 10-24-2015, 07:40 PM

I didn't see my gynaecologist until my six week post - op check up. I think that's fairly standard in Australia (and I went through the private system). I was told to call if anything was worrying me before the six week appointment. My gynae also suggested I should go to the local ER if I suddenly started bleeding heavily (which thankfully I didn't).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2015, 03:22 AM

Six weeks was my post op checkup. Ring if any worries or ER on weekends. I was a private patient on the Gold Coast Australia.
Unread 10-25-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzle View Post
Six weeks was my post op checkup. Ring if any worries or ER on weekends. I was a private patient on the Gold Coast Australia.
Thanks cazzle for responding.
I asked questions while in hospital as to what had exactly been done but the two resident gyos that came on day one & two just said everything went as planed. As I had only seen my gyno of choice once then had to wait over 12mth before there was room on his "public" list I can't exactly remember what he said. Anyway at least the nurses where great and did fill me in on a bit of what to expect when I got home.

Hope your healing well.
Unread 10-25-2015, 03:59 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about follow up appointments.

It does vary somewhat. But then I suppose we all recover at our own pace. And we were all told to ring,go back to the hospital or see a GP, so its been up to us to decided if we need anything before last check up.

Thanks again
Wishing you all good health.
Natalie.
Unread 10-30-2015, 04:36 AM

Hi everyone, just thought I'd do a little update. Have my 6 wks post op checkup today. Found out that things were worse down there than I realised. (Which explains 2 yrs of daily back aches,running to the toilet 40 times a day & various other issue.)
Dr said as well as hysterectomy I had back& front vaginal wall repair & vaginal cuff stitched (so I think the cervix is gone too...I forgot to ask.)
Everything is healing well she dosent expect that I will have any problems, but advised I should be careful for a few more wks.
She also prescribed Ovestin vaginal cream 3 times a wk to help with healing & to avoid hardening of scar tissue.
So I'm pretty happy. And glad I finally got it done. My back no longer aches all day & night, my lady bits are all good as new. I'm going to keep up the pevic floor exercises. Loose some weight and enjoy the future.

Good luck & good healing to all
Unread 11-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Re: Just wandering..any other Aussie's here atm... post-op check-ups?

I'm in Victoria Australia and every op I've had (3) it has always been a 6 week check up. I have 3 weeks to go then a 4.5 hour drive to get to my appointment. My results have come back all clear which is great as I had a TAH and they said if my tubes (which they forgot to take) had cancer in them I would then need to go under again for a laparoscopic removal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register