Robotic 5/15 Resched due to recall!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Robotic 5/15 Resched due to recall!!! Robotic 5/15 Resched due to recall!!!

Unread 05-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Robotic 5/15 Resched due to recall!!!

I had a robotic hysterectomy scheduled for 5/15 @ 9am. I have been rescheduled for 7/3 after spending a good deal of the morning in tears and on the phone. Apparently there was a surgery with a problem somewhere that may have been related to the scissors that attach to the robotic arm. There has been a proactive recall on this instrument by the manufacture. It will take 4-6 weeks for replacements. Only options were wait or big incision which is not an option for me.

Making and sticking with the decision to have this done has been so terribly stressful though it's medically the right choice. I've prepped, shopped, cleaned, cleared my schedule, etc and it's been hell. Now I have to do it all over again which is daunting and overwhelming to even consider...

Anyone else impacted by this recall???

Healing and Happy Thoughts to you all,
Kristi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Re: Robotic 5/15 Resched due to recall!!!

Hi Kristi,
I'm so sorry you have to wait, that is very stressful. to cheer you up, I wanted to let you know what a wonderful experience I had with Davinci 3 weeks ago. (Kept ovaries, huge uterus, cervix & 4 large fibroids out.) I had no pain, my 4 tiny incisions are almost gone. I have followed all the post op rules to the letter and had no problems. I traveled to the next city in order to get the Davinci. Maybe your doctor could use a robot in a nearby hospital? My doctor uses them in two different hospitals. Good luck, in my opinion it's worth the wait.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks pj. The problem is that they have recalled this instrument everywhere so none of the hospitals should be able to do these right now is my understanding. I don't know why others haven't posted about this problem. I hope it's worth the wait.

I had the change doctors to get one who could do it this way. Now I hope it goes well when I finally have I done so she doesn't have to open me up anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Robotic 5/15 Resched due to recall!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d63toast View Post
Thanks pj. The problem is that they have recalled this instrument everywhere so none of the hospitals should be able to do these right now is my understanding. I don't know why others haven't posted about this problem. I hope it's worth the wait.

I had the change doctors to get one who could do it this way. Now I hope it goes well when I finally have I done so she doesn't have to open me up anyway...
It would not make sense for all the machines to be recalled. They were made in different batches and at different years months ect.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM

I don't know. I do know it has something to do with the scissor instrument but the robot itself is fine. I do know it impacts all of the devices in the greater Nashville, TN area but my doc did also mention machines across the country.

My hope is that those of you scheduled soon aren't impacted because this is terrible.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM

I called my doctor and our machine is not effected thankfully.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM

I saw an article about this. There have been a few micro-fractures found in the scissor devices that are not visible to the naked eye but can cause burns. The company is voluntarily sending out replacement parts across the country. I don't think there has been an FDA recall, but the hospitals would definitely have some liability issues if they used a faulty part and someone got hurt.
I am sorry your surgery was delayed, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Does your surgeon do other types of lap assisted hysts? I had a SILS (single incision through belly button) and everything went great.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Here is the story Medscape has which explains why this is not affecting everyone:
Crack-Prone Scissors May Burn Patients, Da Vinci Maker Says
(You may have to have an account to access the article.)

"Intuitive Surgical stated that 'certain -09 and -10 versions' of the scissors" are involved. However, they are not actually being recalled. Intuitive Surgical feels the risks are low so the scissors can still be used. Apparently medical facilities in the Nashville area do not agree.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register