LAVH Three days post hysterectomy - no bowel movement yet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three days post hysterectomy - no bowel movement yet Three days post hysterectomy - no bowel movement yet

Unread 06-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Three days post hysterectomy - no bowel movement yet

I am 3 days post hysterectomy and not had a bowel movement. What do you suggest? I am taking stool softners that the doctor prescribed but no movement.

Thanks for your support.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Re: Big Move

I think you're making good timing honestly. Try walking around your home which seemed to help me create a BM and drink a lot of water. Keep taking the stool softener as directed as it will make easier on your body when the time comes. I know it's frustrating but it will happen. I was cleared to use miralex but it only made matters worse for me. Good luck.
Unread 06-28-2014, 08:41 PM

3 days is really not long, especially if your bowels were cleaned out before either by doctors orders or like me - nerves. Are you feeling like you are backed up? Do you feel the urge but can't? Are you eating a lot or lightly?

There are a lot of things that factor in to when is too long to go. On day 3 to 7 I had sort of diarrhea but not a lot since I was not eating much. Then I went a few days before they started in again. I am still having one about every other day now instead of daily. but then I am trying to watch what I eat in an attempt to use this surgery to jump start loosing weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Maybe some prune juice??
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay.Newton View Post
I am 3 days post hysterectomy and not had a bowel movement. What do you suggest? I am taking stool softners that the doctor prescribed but no movement.

Thanks for your support.

Kay
For me I had surgery Thursday the 19 and first bowel movement was Tuesday
Wow I felt sooo much better
Took prescribed Colace and was also taking Percocet for pain
How this helps
Also drink a lot of fluid (water)
I had a friend pick me up a large (vente) Starbucks cup of coffee that seemed to help also
I hope you feel better and are able to move your bowels
Keep your chin up hystersister
Hugz always
Unread 06-28-2014, 11:49 PM

Magnesium citrate, lemon flavor, half the bottle = MAJOR movement.
Be prepared and have your wet wipes handy.

Good luck!
Unread 06-29-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay.Newton View Post

Thanks for your support.

Kay
I am 10 days post op after having a total abdominal hysterectomy with a sacral colopexy (mesh) to hold everything all up. I've also suffered from constipation my whole life and so I found the following helps me go poo every morning:
1. Drink 1 to 2 cups of coffee every single day only in the morning and it will help you go poop every single day.
2. When sitting on the toilet rest your feet on the stool this could help too long get your spine and open the sphincter muscle.
3. This may sound weird however I find it helps greatly... Sit on the toilet, lean forward holding your incision, with the front balls of your feet raised upon the floor leaning forward stretching up and say "moo"-- say it slow and take your time...relax and push gently with your pooing muscle and your spine will elongate and your sphincter will open and then the poo will slide out. (very weird to do by it works) see this website for some great tips: https://www.pelvicexercises.com.au/s...-hysterectomy/
4. Drink warm water with lemon
5. Eat a "fruit by the foot". -- it's the sugar I think that makes things work.

Good luck sister.
Unread 06-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Re: Three days post hysterectomy - no bowel movement yet

Peppermint tea, coffee, softeners, and short walks around the house...and try not to worry!
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM

I'm 5 days post-op and just today had a bm. I agree with the others, keep taking the stool softener, water water water, walk as much as you can, and coffee. For some odd reason coffee works.
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM

My bowels went on strike after surgery .
I tried softeners, suppositories , teas . I was well over a wk before I went . And when I did the pain of my bowels starting back up was excruciating !
I don't drink coffee but I bet that works !
Stressing will prolong going .it will happen when your body says so

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register