Hair falling out and texture changed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair falling out and texture changed Hair falling out and texture changed

Unread 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Hair falling out and texture changed

Had TAH on 7/7 and the past week I noticed that I have a good handful of hair in my hands when washing it in the shower.

This has been going on for 5 days now, and I am seeing some slowing down, but now the texture is changed.

A friend told me that the anesthesia causes hair loss in the 4-8 week timeframe, but there's no explanation for the texture.

I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow for my 6-week followup and will ask, but am curious if anyone has experienced this?

thanks,
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Re: Hair falling out and texture changed

I also am having alot of hair loss- not that you can tell by looking at it- but after I wash it I have a handfull in the brush & can just pull it out while brushing. Thankfully I have very thick hair, so you cannot see a difference. I am not noticing any texture change, still as wavy & unruly as ever!
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Hi, I am 8 weeks post op and lost quite a bit of hair. It has finally slowed down to just a few strands at a time. But- the new hair is coming in Grey! the texture seems a little bit wavy also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM

I had a tummy tuck back in Dec and then complications and returned to surgery in Feb and yes actually it was my hair stylist who noticed it. She said it was drying out, and cracking and braking...now with the TAH yikes, hopefully I'll have hair left. She just recommended a good shampoo and I keep using it to keep my hair from so much breakage.
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:05 PM

The texture of my hair hasn't changed any. Still straight and coarse as ever. I would like some wavy, please. I have thick hair as well, but some of it is falling out. Hope it stops pretty soon.
Unread 08-11-2009, 08:36 PM

With the humidity we've been having I'll gladly share my waves/curls with anyone who wants them.

But seriously, I'm five weeks post-op tomorrow and have had hair loss in the last week or ten days. My doctor's nurse said that it's likely the effects of anesthesia and hormone changes and to see what's happening in another four weeks.

~ M
Unread 08-11-2009, 09:02 PM

If it continues too long have your thyroid checked. That can cause hair loss if your counts are too low or high & it can make your hormone counts off too. Best wishes.
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:39 PM

I am 3 & 1/2 weeks post op and I have noticed my hair falling out in the shower. I do have thick hair so it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem but my hair styist did warn me that not only will it fall out for a while but that it may dry out too. So far it hasn't started to feel dry so hopefully it won't.
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM

I had this and was told that it's typical after surgery.

Neat. :P
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:28 AM

Me, too...I just assumed that it's hormonal. My hair feels much coarser than before. Any good products to recommend?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register