Nervous of Doctor | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous of Doctor Nervous of Doctor

Unread 05-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Nervous of Doctor

I am 30 years old. I don't have any children and I don't want any, so I'm ok that my doctor recommended a hysterectomy. I have very large fibroids (18cm, and 6cm) and an enlarged uterus (size of 9th month pregnancy). Everything (uterus and fibroids) has been pushed up into my ribcage causing major discomfort. I'm supposed to go see my doctor on Wednesday to have my first injection of Lupron. After reading the horror stories about Lupron, I have decided not to have the shots. After consulting with another physician located in the U.S. via email (I live in Canada), he said that he doesn't recommend Lupron to his patients because it doesn't shrink the fibroids very much anyway. Strike one for my doctor. My doctor also told me that I would have to have a hysterectomy because it wouldn't be possible to separate the fibroids from the uterus because they were so big. The U.S. physician told me that it was possible. He has videos of himself performing such surgeries. Strike two for my doctor. Lastly, my doctor told me that I would have to have a vertical incision because of the size of my uterus and the fibroids. Again, not true. Strike three. I need to have this surgery as soon as possible because I'm running out of space in my abdomen, and I constantly feel a lot of pressure and pain. I want to start to feel normal again, and don't have time to shop around for different doctors (I had to wait 4 months just to see this gyno, and it's the same for other doctors). Do I let this doctor who I have doubts about perform this surgery, or do I continue the search?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Re: Nervous of Doctor

Oh my, this is rough for you! I'm very sorry. I know this may be hard to hear, but if you are not very comfortable with your doctor, it is crucial to find someone you trust--for a load of reasons. I speak from experience--I had a surgery with a doctor who I thought was just "okay," and it turned out badly (gall bladder). When I had 2 herniated disks in my neck, my initial consult with a doctor recommended by my GP left me feeling uneasy--I didn't like his bedside approach or his sort of flippant attitude (even though he had a good rep as a surgeon). I went for a second opinion, and found a great fit in a doctor--and had a good surgical experience and fast healing. If I'd stuck with the other guy, he probably wouldn't have treated me nearly so well.

Is it possible to come to the US for surgery with the doctor you've been emailing?

Another option (but one that requires some ability to be a little confrontational--which I stink at)--talk more in depth with the doctor you have now about the research you have done. Ask about the myomectomy (surgery just to remove fibroids). If he/she cannot do it, can they send you to someone who can? (I'm not sure how referrals work in Canada). I don't know all the details, but it sounds like your current doctor is sort of 'old fashioned' in his/her thinking about some things....

Best of luck to you,

Dee
Unread 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Re: Nervous of Doctor

I live in Canada so I know where you are coming from. I wouldn't let a doctor I didn't trust touch me. Ask your primary care doctor for a referral to another doctor even if he or she is out of your city. Getting a second opinion will settle your mind whether to go with the first or second doctor. To be fair, it could be that your present doctor's skills are not up to par with a myomectomy or with a bikini incision or even a vaginal hysterecomy with such large fibroids. My doctor did not have the skill to do my hysterectomy with my huge fibroids laparoscopically or vaginally so I did end up with a bikini incision. I was okay with that because I knew that he was the best gyno in town for the work he did inside of me. My daughter who is a nurse asked around and reassured me that he was the one that other nurses recommended to do this particular surgery. His follow up in the hospital was fantastic. He did a great job and I had a super recovery so in the end, I am quite happy with my decision. You need to be happy with what happens to you and don't settle for any less.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register