Nervous....scared....second thoughts - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous....scared....second thoughts Nervous....scared....second thoughts

Unread 05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Re: Nervous....scared....second thoughts

Thank you all so much for your responses! I really do appreciate them and you all so very much! I went for a motorcycle ride through the beautiful Black Hills where we live this afternoon. I decided I'd better get some riding in now since I probably won't be able to ride for a while after my surgery! It was a wonderful way to get my mind off of things and a ton of fun!

Thank you again for your responses! They really, truly help so very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Way to go izzy318! I ride a motorcycle too and love when I'm riding that all those worries buzzing around in my head get blown away in the wind!
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Hello Izzy,
I can so relate to your fear! I've never had children, and I had a TAH May 19th. I was so scared, never having had surgery before. It is absolutely normal to be nervous. Here's what I have learned: First, stay off the internet and the post-op boards until after your surgery! It will just unnecessarily scare the heck out of you. I did this, and I wish I had not. I BREEZED through my surgery, and I cannot believe how, for lack of a better word . . . "easy" it was. Every person is different, so do not assume--like I did--that I would have a HORRIBLE first day, that it would be super painful . . . . I know hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I would not have worried so much about what I could not control. The catheter was a bit of a nuisance while it was in, but it really wasn't painful. I was dreading when it came out, and then the nurse said, "Breathe in, now breathe out . . " and boom, just like that with no pain it came out! My advice: take the time in the hospital to just rest and sleep. My surgery was early in the morning--I wanted to get up and walk about two p.m. but they made me wait until five or so. Get up as soon as you can and walk if you can. I was most fearful just before surgery, but you can ask the nurse for something to calm you--I did and I don't remember anything! It truly was not half as painful as I thought it would be post op. Everything is going to be all right! ~Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2011, 11:38 PM

Two more things . . . Cyn brought these "must haves" up and I must second her:
1.) CHAPTSTICK!!! It's a must!
2.) Make sure you have loose, comfy sweats/sleep pants with an elastic band. I have the typical swollen belly (had a bit of one BEFORE but this is ridiculous!). I had to buy a size up in sweats from what I normally wear. I will pretty much live in sweats for the next six weeks or so.

Hugs!
Lisa
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM

hi Izzy...just wanted to wish you well. I remember crying the night before my surgery, evn though in my case I was well prepared for it and it was very necessary. You will have a good recovery, so be confident! I was 56 at surgery and was well on the road to recovery within 2 weeks. never even knew I had a catheter. the drugs they give you for pain afterwards are good, not to worry! I stayed on this site for weeks before and weeks after. These ladies were so kind to me, totally understanding all my fears. Be well and keep in touch.

love, Ruthie
Unread 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site and came across your thread as I am having second thought issues as well. I don't know you,, but I care an insane amount about your situation. I'm 37, I have pcos, fibroids, hospitalized bleeding's and all the same crap that goes with it all, and i have for a long time, I have no kids either, knew it wasn't possible to conceive when you bleed everyday, and to me, the hysterectomy seems very final and an upsetting end to something I already knew wasn't going to happen for me as well. There are plenty of kids of all ages in my family for me to love and care for, and sometimes it makes it easier and sometimes harder. I wish I had an answer or something to say to make you feel better about it, but I cant even find it for myself. I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and will have you in my heart and treasure you as someone whose like myself.
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM

I turned 40 in December before my surgery in February. No kids never been married. To top that off the only day my doctor did surgery that month was Feb 15, yep the day after Valentine's day. My boyfriend and I went out to eat for VAlentine's. I decided on Chick-fil-A, because I did not want to deal with crowds. I too was worried about everything. This was my first surgery and it was a MAJOR decision. I did not feel the cath go in, because they put it in after I was asleep. Did not really feel it after either. I would also suggest taking your own PJ's or gown. I took PJ's because that is what I normally wear. They had me take a shower the day after surgery. I was able to put on my PJ's when I got out. I felt better just being in my own PJ's and not a hospital gown. Also get a laxative to take just so if you need it. I had surgery on Tuesday & was in major pain, because I had not had a "normal" BM by that Monday. If you drink cranberry juice it will help keep the UTI's away. Any kind of juice are good. Make sure you keep hydrated. Sodas seemed to make me gassier than before surgery. Good Luck with your surgery.
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Thank you so much! I really do appreciate your reply.....and hearing about similar feelings and thoughts you have had......I hope your healing is going very well......and thank you again for such a kind reply!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register