Scheduled TVH Worried about life after hysterectomy - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about life after hysterectomy Worried about life after hysterectomy

Unread 10-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Re: Worried about life after hysterectomy

I can't answer the sex question as I am only 2 weeks post and single, but in response to the person who said stay away from an abdominal hyster I will tell you that everyone recovers differently. I had an abdominal hyster and I have little pain and no bleeding. I am up and active and have been since I got out of the hospital. Quite honestly I am having an easier time of it than many on my recovery thread that had less invasive surgeries at the same time. So much seems to depend on you vs the type of surgery you have. If you are concerned with a vaginal hyster specifically I would look at a deVinci or abdominal procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2014, 07:10 PM

BTW, I also had an abdominal. I did feel like I got hit by a truck for two days, but I was back at work five weeks out, and could see normal from where I was standing three weeks out.
Unread 11-01-2014, 09:54 AM

I am only 8 days post -op. I have been concerned about the very same thing. I have been married for almost 25 years and don't want to lose what my husband and I have. I am encouraged by the posts I have seen here. I won't be cleared for sexual activity for another 5 weeks. I had the LVAH. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2014, 01:47 PM

LAVH, my body argued with the dr restrictions from about day 7 on!! The drive was and is definately still there for me! Ive found just moving a little differently than before, exploring a little if you will, was a good thing. It took a couple times between that and calming my nerves, but literally is as good as ever. Some people do have issues, and it is a valid concern. But remember also it is important to follow dr orders, and a good number of issues can be dealt with if you talk to your dr. No harm in starting that conversation now! Theres thousands of ladies on this site, and every one of us is a little different and has a little different experience. Talk to your dr, and if you think it would help get a second opinion!!
Unread 11-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Worried about life after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpb38 View Post
I'm scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on Dec. 1st and I'm worried about how this will affect my body. I've been reading a lot of posts by women who have totally lost their sex drive and/or ability to orgasm. I've been married for 28 years and have a wonderful, active sex life with my husband and don't want that to change. Anyone else worried about this? I'm having the surgery because of abnormal (heavy) bleeding. But maybe it's not worth it. Maybe i should just wait it out. Any suggestions?
I am 4 weeks post op removal of uterus and both ovaries. I feel great which keeps getting me in trouble because I over do so now I have to rest until I see the doctor on Monday. I am not sexually active but the urge is there. I am 46 and soon to be 47. Excited about meeting the right person to experience sex with until then I have to wait.
Unread 11-01-2014, 06:33 PM

TVH here, It was great before and the sensations were a little different for the first few months, I assume because of nerve endings healing, no longer having a cervix, etc. but then... better than ever, really.
Unread 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpb38 View Post
I'm scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on Dec. 1st and I'm worried about how this will affect my body. I've been reading a lot of posts by women who have totally lost their sex drive and/or ability to orgasm. I've been married for 28 years and have a wonderful, active sex life with my husband and don't want that to change. Anyone else worried about this? I'm having the surgery because of abnormal (heavy) bleeding. But maybe it's not worth it. Maybe i should just wait it out. Any suggestions?
I just had a hysterectomy on 9/26/14. had the DaVinci robot; everything was taken..ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes; Stage 1 Cancer..they got it all...I am SO HAPPY that I had the DaVinci; I went in on Friday, Sept.26, was home the following day, and was doing housework on Sunday..yes, that was a "bit much" but I felt so good! Everyday I felt better and better...do not be scared, I know what you are going thru..but this website is AWESOME and the support is even better...GOOD LUCK
Unread 11-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Worried about life after hysterectomy

I had my TVH on Dec4 2013. It took me a long time to feel comfortable. We waited 10 weeks even though I was cleared at six weeks and I have to be honest, it was uncomfortable and hurt a little, which is something I'd never expirenced before. My husband was sensitive, patient and loving even though our encounters were few and far between. As we begin to approach my one year post op anniversary, our sex life has never been better. I need to use more lubrication than before and everything feels great. Its true that there are more happy endings than sad. People don't like to brag but love to complain. Tell your partner to be patient and soon you'll both reap the rewards.
Unread 11-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTTeri View Post
kpb38 have you considered having an ablation done instead of a hyst? I had that done 3yrs ago and it did take care of the bleeding. Unfortunately, I also ended up with the ablation sealing my cervix. My lining continued to thicken and I also ended up with cysts on both ovaries. It was mostly because of them not being able to do a uterine biopsy on the lining that I decided to do the hyst. I have also been married for nearly 28 years and would not want to lose our sex life either. I am only 3 days post op with a davinci where they took the uterus, cevix, and both ovaries. I guess I will find out where we land when I am healed up more. I am glad I tried to do the abation first, at least I know I tried. There might be other options for you to try before you commit to a hyst. Good luck with your journey.
My first procedure was an ablation too. It stopped the heavy periods and the cramping for the first few months. Round about 4 or 5 months after, I began having severe abdominal cramping that worsened in intensity and length. I had to be rushed by ambulance to the ER in March because the pain was so severe I nearly blacked out, I couldn't sit or stand up, and I vomited repeatedly because it was so intense. Keep in mind, I have a high pain tolerance. I gave birth naturally both times with no problem. After I was admitted to the ER only a few months later, my doctor decided enough was enough. After much testing and ultrasounds, she found that my uterus was enlarged and the lining thick and hardened and lined with so much scar tissue that it was trapping pockets of blood that were causing uterine contractions. Please, please, please think long and hard before getting an ablation. Mine was a Novasure procedure. Just read up on it first. I did, and saw all the horror stories, and ignored them.

I had my TVH on October 9th, and so far, so good. My period would have been due now, but I am pleased to say that even though I'm only 3 weeks post-op, I have no pain. I read all the stories about women having issues after hysterectomy too, but I also read stories about women who's lives were vastly improved after hysterectomy, and their sex lives even better.

I was able to keep my right ovary, so I don't need hormone treatment. I have not, as yet, lost my sex drive. I'm just not cleared by the doc. And believe me... it's not easy, but I'm looking forward to the "honeymoon" once I am.

My hysterectomy was the best decision. I just wish it was the first thing I did, because I lost so many months of my life to debilitating pain, and it cost me thousands of dollars in ER bills and pain meds dealing with the pain from the post-ablation syndrome.
Unread 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM

I was having these same thoughts and questions myself last night. I am also scheduled (tentatively don't expect it to change)also for December 1st. I am 50 yrs old. I had gone to the Dr about 4 years ago to have an ablation done to stop my cycle, At the time I had no knowledge of what they were going to tell me. When I went in for my exam they realized I had an enlarged uterus so they had scheduled an ultrasound for 2 weeks later, At the time I was told I had a fibrous cyst (at this point I wan't told it's size). They did test it to make sure it wasn't cancerous. My mother had them and had a total hysterectomy shortly after my sister was born, I was told that she could still do the ablation but there was a 50/50 chance it would take, I was willing to take that chance since I had my tubes tied after my youngest was born. Everything had gone well. My cycles had lightened up, I went back for my annual exams and was told it hadn't grown any. About 2 yrs ago my cycles became irratic, almost to the point of every other week and were heavier than they had ever been to where I had to make trips home to change clothes from work. Luckily I live at the end of the street, I made a decision to make my annual appt (Sept of this year) and then schedule a follow up to see what my options were because this was getting ridiculous and uncomfortable for me. When I got there I was told that she could go in through the femoral artery and cut off the blood supply to let it shrink or she could refer me to a surgical team to get evaluated for a hysterectomy. I was still unaware of its size at this point, I let her know that I was really uncomfortable at this point and to refer me to the surgical team. I had arrived to the office only to find out that my Dr had not sent the tests and reports even though I had called her office 3 weeks prior to my appointment to send them. I had to call the DR and insist they send them asap otherwise they would have to reschedule my appt. Fortunately after the 2nd call the records were sent. When I met with this Dr he made me feel really comfortable, After reading over my results from the other Dr he came in and let me know that the cyst was now the size of a grapefruit (which the other Dr failed to tell me), Part of me just felt like I should've been told by my original Dr all of this. The Dr I saw on the surgical team has been doing it 30 years, It looks like it may be laprascopically done but since he does more of the vaginal surgeries and mine is too large to go that route I meet with his team member on the 6th, I found out, after I met with this Dr that a co-worker had hers done by this team and was really happy with her decision, I;m glad that I have found this site and know that I'm not alone,

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register