Hysterectomy tomorrow (10/31): Worried About Working from home next week | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow (10/31): Worried About Working from home next week Hysterectomy tomorrow (10/31): Worried About Working from home next week

Unread 10-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Hysterectomy tomorrow (10/31): Worried About Working from home next week

I just found this site, having laparoscopic hysterectomy, leaving only the ovaries, tomorrow. I work from home and scheduled 18 hours for next week. The hours have to be done Monday through Thursday. I work sitting at a desk. Has anyone else had this type of surgery and able to tell me if I should be worried about completing the hours next week. Really wish I would have found this site earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Re: Worried About Work

Some people have said they have had problems sitting for long periods of time, that didn't happen to me. So you would be at your computer about 4.5 hrs each day? Can you break the time up so that it is throughout the day, in smaller chunks if you need to? Also I'm not sure what you will be doing, but if you are taking narcotics, your brain might be too foggy to be effective. I had my surgery on Thurs and really by Sunday my brain fog was gone, but I didn't take any drugs at all after my surgery if you are still taking drugs, might not be a good idea.
Unread 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Re: Worried About Work

Hopefully I won't need too much pain meds. I can work any time of the day, as long as I finish the hours by end of Thursday. I didn't think it would be a problem and then started reading posts here and was a little worried. I'm starting to freak out about the entire thing. Couldn't sleep much last night and will probably be worse tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Re: Hysterectomy tomorrow: Worried About Working from home next week

I was dull-witted for a couple of weeks post-op and I didn't have any hard-drugs after discharge from the hospital. Very tired. Hopefully you will feel a bit perkier, and there is not too much pressure on you to get a certain amount of work done. Good luck.
Unread 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM

I probably *did* spend 4.5 hours a day at my computer during my first week after surgery! *grin* Break it up with short walks once an hour and naps as needed, you should be fine physically.

Mentally might be another story. My work's very detail-and-numbers oriented. I wouldn't have wanted to try working that first week because I had some serious brain fog going on *in spite of* the fact that I was *not* on narcotic pain pills, just ibuprofen.

If you can choose different tasks to work on, try to stick to the more brain-dead ones that first week.

By the second week, yeah, no problem. I did a couple of tax returns for friends that week.
Unread 10-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks!
Unread 11-08-2014, 06:58 AM

Really glad I found this thread - I have a similar concern. I'm scheduled for a total laparoscopic hysterectomy on a 12/2 (Tuesday). I work from home and am blessed to have an awesome support network at my job. My plan is to return to work the following Tuesday but take it easy, naps during lunch or just breaking up the day into smaller chunks.

It sounds like that's reasonable after reading this thread.

Good luck SJL8!! Try not to stress out about work too much. Your health is most important and the rest of the stuff will fall into place. Take care.
Unread 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM

I will just say that I had a TLH and my doc refused to let me work (even from home) for the 1st 2 weeks. She wanted me resting and healing - both physically and mentally. She also did not want me sitting at a desk because it was not the optimal position for healing internally (reclining is best). I was very, very tired those first 2 weeks and used the time to sleep and take walks. I then returned to work part-time from home for weeks 3, 4, 5 and 6.. but even then she only wanted me sitting for 2-hour increments and nothing longer. I was grateful to be able to do this, because I was still very tired and need naps in between work hours. I blocked my calendar so that my co workers knew not to schedule meetings during my off hours. It worked well.

I'm now 9+ weeks post op and working from home full time and still having issues since the fatigue kicks in hard at about 2pm every day, making it hard to focus.

You might be a rock star and be able to power through all of this, but I just thought I'd share my story because even though this surgery is "minimally invasive," it's still major surgery - and often times weeks 3 and 4 are harder than weeks 1 and 2. On the advice of another sister, I watched a You Tube video of a TLH and was amazed at just how much they "cut" inside of me to remove my tubes, uterus and cervix. ... this is nothing to mess around with. Please get your rest and be careful not to push yourself. There is a reason that most doctors request up to 6 weeks off for their patients.. even TLH patients (some need it, some don't). I needed it..... and I'm a very health, fit person.
Unread 11-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn1971 View Post
I will just say that I had a TLH and my doc refused to let me work (even from home) for the 1st 2 weeks. She wanted me resting and healing - both physically and mentally. She also did not want me sitting at a desk because it was not the optimal position for healing internally (reclining is best)...
That said, the nurses in the hospital encouraged me to sit upright in hard armchair starting right the first morning after surgery. I managed about 15 minutes. *grin*

But the second and third day I spent most of the day in the armchair reading when I wasn't walking laps of the ward. I was sitting in it when my doc came to visit, and he didn't say anything, so presumably that's what I was supposed to be doing.

It just goes to show that different doctors will offer different advice. You need to follow what *your* doctor and *your* body* say.

What I found myself for the first week was that after I'd been sitting upright for an hour or so, my abs would start to feel a bit of a burn. When that happened, I'd lie down and give them a rest. It's all about listening to your body.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register