Scheduled but ? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled but ? Scheduled but ?

Unread 11-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Scheduled but ?

Hi there! I am a 43 woman that has heavy periods with clots that are coming closer together and last much longer. I have been bleeding for 3 weeks on average in a month. Not excessive at all times but still enough to wear something for coverage. My biggest complaints have been "flooding" while on period which can't be controlled, swollen and painful right side with stabbing pain at times, lower back pain, and general fatigue.
In past three years had the myomectomy to remove a fibroid and stop the bleeding. It was successful for several years.
Now I am out of breath walking up a few stairs, headaches, rapid heartbeat throughout day, bloating, sometimes mind seems to be confused, tongue tied, and general fatigue.
I am anemic but not as severe as three years ago. Although, my body feels like it did prior to surgery. I have hypothyroidism which I control with medication.
I just want to feel better. I had biopsy and doctor said okay and ultrasound which show large cysts on cervix, on right ovary, and in uterus a small fibroid. One doctor suggests a hysterectomy. One suggested an ablation. I chose the first because surgeon confirmed information I read that an ablation won't work unless uterus is smooth and mine is cobblestone. Surgeon also said, many times patients come back for hysterectomy.
I scheduled a hysterectomy on Dec. 17 to remove everything except left ovary with surgeon who performed my myo in 2011. She will try and save right if possible. She said she needed to check my abdomen? What does that mean you ask? I asked the same, she said she would check to see if it everything was alright. Nothing further. I feel completely uneducated about this and over whelmed, what should I be asking? I am just not sure. Thanks for reading this and offering me support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Re: Scheduled but ?

The best thing I can suggest is that you get a second opinion. It never hurts and it can help you understand whether this is the right decision. The other thing you can do is write out the questions you have like what does she mean exactly by "check your abdomen?" and for what? and make sure you get answers you understand. A second opinion may be able to offer you more options too. Here is a link to our Treatment Alternatives Articles. I hope you find them helpful. The more you know about your condition and what treatments are available, the better choices you can make. You may also want to look at www.givemeasecond.com. That's how much HysterSisters believes in second opinions. We're here to support you no matter what you decide.
Unread 11-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Re: Scheduled but ?

Thank you! I will write out questions. I have a visit scheduled with her in two weeks to talk about further. I scheduled another appt with a urogynecologist because of another symptom but it is not til beginning of December. She performs hysterectomies so I am going to talk with her further.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register