Cancer, TAH, and Blood Clots! *Scared* | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer, TAH, and Blood Clots! *Scared* Cancer, TAH, and Blood Clots! *Scared*

Unread 04-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Cancer, TAH, and Blood Clots! *Scared*

Hi, I am so happy to have found this page . . . what a wonderful network of caring people. I am a 33-year old woman who has one child (age 13, vaginal birth) and have had PCOS for 12 years. I am very obese (130 pounds overweight) have HBP, chol. and trig. and suffer from severe panic/anxiety. I have experienced abnormal, heavy bleeding for years and been through so many tests and different doctors . . .
I was diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer last week and am scheduled for a TAH on April 24. I am so scared, that words cannot describe how I feel.
Not only am I afraid of the cancer and the possibility that it has spread, but I am terrified of undergoing this major surgery and most of all, of BLOOD CLOTS. When I was recovering from a D&C, I had myself so afraid of getting blood clots that I could not sleep because I literally had to keep pacing the floors! I am convinced that I will experience a fatal blood clot from this surgery, because I have so many risk factors (major surgery, cancer & obesity) among them. I have never had a blood clot before, but have only had two other surgeries in my life. Gallbladder removal (laparoscopic) when I was much younger and lighter and the D&C two weeks ago. I already take Paxil for anxiety and was recently prescribed Xanax, but I literally feel like I will go crazy with worry about theses things! I have been searching for statistics on the net about mortality rates for TAH (especially in obese, hbp, etc. patients) and statistics on the incidence of blood clots in TAH patients, but can't find much.

Any advice is welcome . . . I feel like I am all alone with these horrible feelings and my surgery date is looming on the horizon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Dear Morticia Rose,

Do not cause yourself unnecessary stress and anxiety-surgery is stressful enough in itself.

Be sure to share your fears with your Doctor-have you ever had blood clots?

If so, they can put in something called a Greenfield filter. They will also put compression stockings on you before surgery and leg pumps-they felt so good to me and aid in circulation. You can also discuss with your Dr. giving you a blood thinner before surgery and see what his feelings are about this.

I wish you the best with all and am sorry for all you are going through. To me, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

to you.
Unread 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM

Hi!

I know this is a scary time, but talk with your doctor before you worry yourself unnecessarily. First of all, they normally place a type of compression device on your legs that you wear during and after surgery that helps your body maintain adequate circulation to prevent clots from forming. Also the doctor can provide a type of support hose that also helps maintain good circulation once you are able to move around. Make sure you are aware of the signs/symptoms of clots as prevention/early detection are the key. Most importantly....Relax so your body can spend the energy it needs to heal instead of stressing over something the medical staff will be prepared to prevent and/or deal with should it happen.

Best wishes to you! My surgery date is the same as yours too.

Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2006, 11:13 PM

s MorticiaRose
This is a scary time for you. Be sure to discuss the clots and other issues with your Dr. The Dr. is the best resource for this.

Many times it is the anticipation and the waiting that is the hardest and I hope this will be true for you also.

I would like to invite you to our forum here which is called Cancer Concerns for any questions you may have regarding the cancer.

s
Jane
Unread 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM

Hi MorticiaRose ,
I'm so sorry for all you are going through right now. I am "fluffy" too and from what I have read here in the HysterSister forums is that overweight women come through the surgery without any more problems then average weight women. Blood clots following surgery are very rare these days, primarily because of the pneumatic pressure stockings. They are the funny things they wrap around your lower legs that blow up and squeeze your calf. It's an amazingly simple, yet effective way of preventing the formation of blood clots. When you hear of blood clots in the lungs, it's because part of a clot has boken off from a clot in the leg and travelled to the lung. The compression stockings prevent this from happening. The single best way to prevent blood clots is to get up and walk. Keep that in the back of your mind and use it as motivation to move about after your surgery.

Right now, focus your energy on preparing for your surgery and spending time with your child. As the previous posters have stated, go to the cancer forum. Those are amazing women who have seen it all, lived through it all, and can guide you through your journey. There's no doubt that you have a lot on your plate right now, but trust me, it will give you a lot of confidence communicating with women who have walked down the same path. One other thing you can do is contact the American Cancer Society to find a support group in your area.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on how you're doing. We care about you!!!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lori
Unread 04-18-2006, 01:07 AM

HI MorticiaRose

I too, am obese and have hbp, and recently had this surgery. I know how you are feeling. I was very worried about the same too. Although, I did not have the cancer, but the rest of the worries were always with me.
All I can tell you is that they do do everything to prevent blood clots now and are much more aware and prepared to deal with them than in the past. My blood pressure actually went down in the hospital.. I think it is because of the drugs they put you on that brings it down.
I made it through the surgery, just as you will, with flying colors!!
Nothing was ever said about my weight being a problem, and nothing was mentioned in the hospital about it. It made me feel much more relaxed that they were prepared and used to the fluffier women in today's society.
I hope you find some peace about this...I know it is hard, especially with panic attacks, but the best thing to do is to let the doctors and hospital know about it when you go in for the surgery. I was molested when I was young, and having my arms and legs held down in the hospital brought back anxieties. When I informed the anesethetist, he put me out before I even got to the operating room, so I didn't have to deal with that part of it. They will work with you, as long as you let them know of your fears.
My thoughts and prayers and blessings are with you. Feel free to email me with any questions or just if you want to talk..
We are all here for you!!

HUGS!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register