Scheduled TAH fibromyalgia & Hypothyroidism | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fibromyalgia & Hypothyroidism fibromyalgia & Hypothyroidism

Unread 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM
fibromyalgia & Hypothyroidism

Im scheduled for TAH on sept. 20th and I am kinda worried about the risks or problems that can arise during surgery and the recovery procees with having both Fibromyalgia and Hypothyroidism. My Dr. did say she would put me on a pump for pain while in the hospital and possibly send me home with some kind of tube in the insicion. Not sure what the tube thing is all about, to me it sounds like a infection just waiting to happen. If anyone has some incite please share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Re: fibromyalgia & Hypothyroidism

I would ask for some more specifics about what the tube is. It sounds like she is trying to address any problems and can probably tell you more about risk of infection so you don't have to worry. I know that they are very careful about that and that techniques for these have improved dramatically over the years. Hope that you get some answers. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes.
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Hi I have fibro too.I was very worried about the pain after surgery. I am 4 weeks post-op and hopefully optimistic. I have not had any major flare ups. In the hospital after surgery I was given morphine and percocet. My sweet was concerned about my tolerance to pain killers since I take them everyday. I had a LAVH at 7:00 am and went home that afternoon at 4:00 pm. He sent me home with 7.5 oxicodone and prescription motrin. I really did okay with pain control. I did not have a pump and I don't have thyroid problems,so I can't be of any help there. I just wanted to share my pain experience with fibro. I hope every thing goes well with you
Best wishes,
Jeanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Hi, Moore.

I don't have fibro, but I do have hypothyroidism. My TSH levels were well in control when I had the surgery, though, so there were no issues.

As far as the tube goes, I wonder if she was referring to a drainage tube? I didn't have one with my hysterectomy, but I did have one 2 years ago with another surgery. It wasn't that bad, just a little weird to get used to.

But it's always best to get clarification from your doctor.

Good luck with your stay at the castle!
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:28 PM

I have hashimoto's, fibro, cfs and addison's disease, so I can certainly relate to your concerns.

Your thyroid issues should stay stable as long as you stay on your meds.

The big thing is going to try and stay as comfortable and stress free as possible to try and prevent your fibro from flaring........all of us with fibro have to learn how to try and accomplish this....and some of us have an easier time with this than others.

I would ask your doctor about the tube you mentioned; it sounds like a drain tube, however there is also a tube that they can leave in there that delivers medication to keep the surgical area numb for a period of time.
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:07 AM

I have hypothyroidism and a TAH/BSO on 8-12. I had no problem.

I also had a pain pump and the "implanted" thingy you may be talking about near my incision. I think your doctor may be talking about an ON Q pain management device. It has little tiny wires or tubes that drip a continuous stream of meds to block the pain. It is implanted near the nerves that affect your abdominal incision area. You hardly know its even there. I woke up with my stomach taped up where the tiny little tubes were inserted. They were attahed to a black fanny pack type purse with a long strap. You hang the strap around your neck & shoulder and tote it along with you when getting up to potty or walk. It worked VERY well for me.... along with the pump, my pain was VERY manageable. The nurses removed it right before I left the castle. I didnt even feel it when the tiny tubes were pulled out.

Google "ON Q" and ask if that is what your doctor is referring to.

Donna
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanks Ladies Yes, the tube is for administering numbing medication directly into the incision. My Dr. used some big medical term to describe it. For the most part I know what my limits are in controlling a Fibro flare to occur. However having an invasive surgery like this is all new territory for me. As of right now I dont take any prescription meds for my Fibro, only over the counter motrin or tylenol. Mainly because there isnt anything besides antidepressants or narcotic pain meds available for Fibro sufferers. Ive chosen not take pain meds long term for a chronic illness like Fibro for fear I will end up dependant on them. My Dr. did said if the pain cannot be controlled by an oral pain medication. she will send me home with that tube in addition to the oral pain med.. My biggest concern is going home with it and not having a medical professional keeping a close eye on it daily. With just the incision alone Im already at risk for infection I would think having a tube in it would make the risk even higher. So if there is anyone who went home with one of these pain medication tubes in thier insicion I would be glad to hear your experiances.
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM

I dont have experiences to share. But I do have similar Concern. As I have ME/CFIDS, Fibromyalgia, Multiple chemical sensitivities, CMPS- and am concerned about the impact surgery will have on my ability to care for myself after surgery and what levels the pain will be.

Like you I dont take anything for pain aside from motrin- which I have to limit. I cant take tylenol and am extremely sensitive to meds. So I am concerned about being on Narcotics- If there is any side effects to be had they hit me hard. I am having Open surgery. And its coming up very soon. There is no real treatment for Fibro- Personally if I thought my body could tolerate the med in the pump I would take that and just be mindful of any signs of infection.

I havent really discussed the fact I am having surgery and how to deal with post op recovery.
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:26 PM

I have Hashimoto's but not the fibro. My last blood work shows that I am taking the correct dose. I will make sure I take my med before heading to the castle and have my prescription with so that they do not have to order some up for me during my stay.

I am interested in the On Q you talk about. With the pain I have been in for the last 3 years I have concerns that pain management may be an issue.

I would talk to your Dr and if they send you home with it make sure that the Nurses show you how to care for it to avoid infection.

Best of luck to you as you prepare to head to the castle.
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM

I would ask the hospital or your doc if it might be possible to have a visiting nurse come if they have to leave the tube in? that way they can monitor it. I know that they usually have a visiting nurse from home health that would be able to do that but you probably have to ask about it. Let your doc know and I would think they could have some of that in place for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register