Disappointed at pain @ 10 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Disappointed at pain @ 10 days post-op Disappointed at pain @ 10 days post-op

Unread 02-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Disappointed at pain @ 10 days post-op

I had a TVH, a bladder sling and anterior and posterior wall repair on Feb. 3. The surgeon nicked my bladder during the procedure so I had to go home with a Foley catheter. I had it a total of 9 days. Those were the worst 9 days of my life. The pain and discomfort was excruciating. I took the oxycodone on a regular basis just to bear it but I still ended up crying at night because it was so awful. (My 3 children were totally freaked out by the sight of it).

I finally got it out yesterday & felt like I had been released from prison. I had hardly any pain. I asked the nurse about activities and she said I could walk "as tolerated". I said, "I could walk up to 1/2 mile?" and she said Yes. She also said that I could bend over to tie my shoes or get dressed but just to avoid sudden movements. So, I continued from the hospital with my parents to Lowes, the post office, out to lunch and then to look at a new house. I really felt fine. At the house, I played with the kids on the floor and then did some very light picking up (bending).

However, I started to crash and burn yesterday evening and now find myself back on bed rest today. I have both abdominal pain and pelvic floor pain. I can't get comfortable with just the Ibuprofen. I took some codeine cough medicine and that has helped a bit. I am also using a heating pad.

I just am so disappointed about my slow recovery. Although I'm 42, I am very active in sports and was considered extremely healthy. I have always bounced backed quickly from injuries. I have read with great envy the other posts about the women who voluntarily stopped taking their heavy pain meds and were exercising in their pool at 2 weeks. I would love to take oxycodone if I had any left! (they won't refill the prescription) And I can't imagine a work-out in the pool in 4 days.

Sorry for the big whine but I'm just confused and depressed by the whole thing. I'd love to hear from other women who've had a similar experience. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Re: Disappointed at pain @ 10 days post-op

The nurse said you could walk, not go shopping, out to lunch and to look at a new house. Slow down!! The pain is a sign that you are waaaay overdoing things. Your expectations for yourself at only nine days post op, especially after having all that extra work done, are way too much.

I also went home with a Foley. Mine did not hurt - it sounds like yours may have been not placed properly. It really should not have hurt.

Watch the codeine... it is constipating. That's why they won't refill the oxycodone. The ibuprofen would probably help you if you'd take it easy and give it a chance.

Please... you have only one chance at an uncomplicated recovery. Don't rush things - there is the rest of your life to look forward to all your other activities. Right now it's all about healing.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-13-2010, 05:59 PM

I totaly agree with surferbabe !
I had a LSH two weeks ago. I had no complications, everything went great and I still feel pain ! I've noticed that the days I'm feeling specially well I tend to over do it. Them it's back to square one. So what I learned is to walk a little every day, rest a lot and just use comon sense. I understand that some women say they are back to normal after a couple of days BUT....
1-every person and every body is different. Don't expect to react to the same situation (and it's never the same situation)the same way....And
2- Do we really know they are telling the truth ? No we don't !
So,take it easy. Remember you had major surgery and need time to heal COMPLETELY. Even if the outside of your body the skin feels and looks healed, the inside tissue takes much longer to heal completely.
You'll get there. just don't hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 07:02 PM

I had a TAH Jan 18 and am almost 4 weeks post-op. I personally found it of benefit to exactly what the doc said and that was basically nothing. That was until the end of week two, then I started little "errands" throughout the house. I am an extremely active human being and have a very active job. I, too, am surprised at my body's reaction to this whole thing. It can be, and is, very frustrating.

We have just lost a uterus and whatever accessories (I only kept ovaries). You also had repairs and a nick to contend with. GO EASY! Putting up with the frustration now, in order to have a beautiful/healthy recovery, is more important! I am happy to report that because I have taken it easy, the end of week four is showing some great improvements for me. And my guess, although we are all different, is that if you take it easy for the first little bit, you will be greatly rewarded sooner rather than later.

They fail to tell us just how frustrating this recovery can be. And it is! Your body will remember what it was like pre-surgery. Just be patient, you had a lot of work done.

That's why we are all here. So we can share in this unreal journey of hysteritaville......oh joy, oh rapture, what a trip!
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Elbonaural:

Just reading your post tired ME out and I am 8 weeks post-op!!! You are trying to do too much too soon, that's for sure. And your body isn't dumb---if you won't slow down voluntarily, it will do it for you. With the repairs and the nicked bladder, you have a lot extra to recover from. If you overdo it now, you may regret it later. Give yourself a few more weeks to heal internally, please. it's frustrating now, but your body will thank you for it later!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register