4 weeks on after Sub Total | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks on after Sub Total 4 weeks on after Sub Total

Unread 04-21-2006, 03:49 AM
4 weeks on after Sub Total

Hi,

On the 24th April it will be 4 weeks to the day since I had my sub-total Hysterectomy. Overall I'm doing well, I have a few concerns. Is it normal to expect lower back pain? Is it normal to experience a throbing sensation around the cervix? ( I have been completing my daily pelvic exercises). Will my swell belly go down?

I know that having a sub-total, is not as dramatic as most of the other variations of hysterectomies that can be experieinced, so is it normal to recover at the same speed or quicker?

I had to go through with the sub-total, after all avenues had been tried to get my fibroids under control, which I suffered with for more than 20 years. I previously went through with a myomectomy, which was successful at the time, but the fibroids came back after 18 months.

I'm still having to take iron tablets and still feel drained at times throughout the day.

My last concern at the moment is that, if having a sub-total the doctor feels that I can return to work quicker than I'm ready, what do I do then? I enjoy my job, but I do a lot of travelling and that means carrying luggage/laptop and documentation.

Feedback welcomed

Take care All!!

Sweethoney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2006, 07:51 AM

If you don't feel ready to go back to work, try writing the reasons out (very briefly) and giving the list to your doctor, so he or she has some simple documentation. I bet they'll understand; they don't want you overdoing it with lugging laptops around, etc.

I had a subtotal as well, a few days later than yours (so today is my 3 week anniversary). I feel like I've recovered very quickly, and my guess is that part of that is because the subtotal is less extensive. But who knows. I do know that I wouldn't feel up to flying with my luggage and laptop in a few days, certainly!

Checking with your doctor about that throbbing sensation is a good idea.

What kind of pelvic exercises do they have you doing now? My surgeon hasn't had me start anything (except walking, of course, several miles a day) yet, but I haven't asked if I should be doing anything. hmmm.
Unread 04-24-2006, 03:29 AM

Hi Tiva,

The following are the main exercises I have been given to complete since the day of my discharge from hospital.

1. Pelvic floor exercises - 5 slow, 5 fast 10 times a day.

2. Lying on your back with knees bent. Hands resting by your sides.
Place your hands on the lower part of your tummy.
As you breathe out gentley tighten your tummy muscles and hold them for 5 seconds, feeling the tension with your fingers.

3. Lying on your back with knees bent and arms by your side.
Tighten your stomarch muscles and press the small of your back against the floor letting your bottom rise slightly. Hold 5 seconds - relax.

4. Lying on your back woith knees together and bent.
Slowly roll your kneeds from side to side keeping your upper trunk still.

Points to note:
Never press on with an excersice that causes pain.
When bending or streaching legs, ALWAYS move one at a time.
Start by doing each exercise 3 times then add on repetition each day until you are doing 10. Continue doing 10 each day for 3 months at least.

Hope this helps (it's brilliant for the wind)!

Regards
Sweethoney

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register