December 10th, should I? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

December 10th, should I? December 10th, should I?

Unread 09-22-2003, 02:20 PM
December 10th, should I?

If I want to have my surgery, probable TAH, in our local hospital with the visiting gyn, I could have it on December 10th. Or I could go to the hospital where the gyn is a regular and have it any date. Having it at our local hospital would be SO Much easier on my DH. But would I be up and about good enough at Christmas? We usually have the kids and little grandkids here for Christmas Eve supper. I'm not worried about the cooking, cleaning etc, just wondering if I would feel good enough in two weeks or should I wait until after the holiday?
Idette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Later

Hi..I would wait till after Christmas. I remember at 2 weeks I wa s still sore. Unless you plan on just relaxing and lying around than I would go thru with it then. the holidays are usualy really hectic and you will need all the help you can get.
Good Luck......maryanne
Unread 09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
December 10th, should I?

Idette,

I'll be at 3 weeks in 2 days and I would not be able to handle a family gathering at this point. You most likely won't have a lot of energy. It's all I can do to walk through the grocery store with DBF...and then I come home and sleep for a couple hours. And I cringe when I'm there and a kid gets anywhere near that could run into my tummy (and I love kids).

You'd be better to either do it earlier in the year or wait til after Christmas.

s to you,
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2003, 04:37 PM
same holiday concerns

my doc wants me to have TAH in November, and I had the same thoughts: 6 weeks likely post-op, so how will I get the shopping, decorating, cooking done? Should I "skip" the holidays for one year?

I'm hoping to hold out 'til January. Here, in Ohio, I'm hoping by January I won't have to worry about outdoor stuff-gardening, lawn care, etc. And the holidays will be finished, so, HOPEFULLY my friends and family will have more time to visit and help me out.

Good luck with your decision! I did have 2 friends who said if I'm recovering in November, they would pay me to address all their Christmas cards!

hugs,
junie_seven
Unread 09-23-2003, 04:23 AM
December 10th, should I?

I'd wait until after Christmas, if I were you

At 2 wks I had my first big outing - going to my daughters soccer game - all I did was walk a small amt of walking from the car to the field and back, sitting during the game of course - I was wasted and went home for a lonnng nap. I can't imagine doing out (or having folks come in) for any length of time at that point.

I was also dealing still dealing with gas, bladder and bowel problems at that point - not something I'd like to link to the holidays and company lol

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, when ever you choose to do it!

Elissa
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Dates Dillema

I am going to the castle on December 9th. Not really a choice for me, as our company closes over the Christmas period, and this was the least disruptive for work, also as I have used ALL of my sick leave coping with horrendous periods ( can't visit clients, with blood dripping down my leg!) I have no option but to take holidays for the op and recuperation period. As work requires us to take our paid holidays during the close down, the decision was really made for me! The op is also 3 days before my birthday. what fun!!!

Any one else normally adore their job, but fed up with the job dictating health care issues like this??
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Re: December 10th, should I?

Idette

If were me......... I would get the surgery over with and just count on a quiet Christmas. (But that is me....... I had ovarian tumors and solid masses to deal with...they wanted them removed a.s.a.p. ** But if I had to do it again........... I am type that I don't like procrastination or I will just not do it........ so guess my thinking is get it done.............get it over with.........and you will be healed up just the sooner. Also............ you may not feel up to much company even after 3 weeks.........everyone heals differently and doing things may take time.... You will need lot of TLC
** I would think over carefully and look at upcoming holidays and say some prayers. Remember to put your health first. Just thoughts......... Ultimately the decision is yours. Just remember takes a while to heal................if you have it before holidays I would plan on a quiet holiday without too many people. That's my two cents... HUGS and Prayers for right decision best for YOU!
Cattitude,
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:59 PM
December 10th, should I?

Idette,

Like Yoda's Cousin, I must also have my surgery during the holidays for work-related reasons. I told my doc "anytime AFTER November 25 is fine. As he does all his surgeries on Thursdays, he scheduled it for 12/4 (as the first Thursday after 11/25 is Thanksgiving--no way).

He did say that 12/4 will give me 3 full weeks of recovery time before Christmas and that I should feel "decent" by then. We are planning on a quiet Christmas, (just me, DH, DD #1, DD #2 and DS). The surgery curtailed our plans to visit relatives on the west coast, but I had to consider my health and comfort first.

I think whether you have the surgery in December should depend on two things. 1) how much discomfort you're in right now and whether that will affect your holiday anyway, and 2) whether you're willing and able to minimize your Christmas festivities this year...allowing other relatives to do the cooking, cleaning, etc.

Good luck in your decision. It's hard to put our ourselves before others, but at times it's necessary to do so.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register