TAH 6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing?? 6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing??

Unread 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM
6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing??

Hi fellow Hyster Sisters. I have found this wonderful site so helpful, especially reading Q & A from others. I'd really appreciate some input now. I'm just over 6 wks out from TAH & BSO. My healing has been a bit of 2 steps forward, one back until this last week. I feel like I've taken a big leap backwards. I've been walking a little more to help healing and prep for going back to wk in 2 wks. The problem is I'm having substantially more pain across lower abdomen (about an inch to 2 inches above incision) I'm also weaning off pain meds. I feel so exhausted after a very short walk or doing a small errand. I'm up several times nightly so never feel rested. Also a few nights ago either had a 24hr bug or food poisoning & the violent vomiting has only made ab pain worse. I feel like I should be much further along in healing process & am anxiety ridden about going back to work in 2 wks, where I need to be on my feet for 4-6hr periods with just a 10min break to rest. Any suggestions to speed along recovery? Please Help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Re: 6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing??

OMG When I read your post about food poisoning and violent vomiting. The tears weld up in my eyes. I could not even imagine how that would feel, I am about to cry just thinking about it. You poor poor sweet girl. God Bless you.

I was just scanning the posts because I was going to post a new thread, with pretty much the same question as you Sue. Thank you for posting this. I am just over 5 weeks vertical TAH, kept both ovaries. I to think I should be doing better then I am. I have my 6 week exam next week, I know the Dr. will ask about going back to work. I don't think I am near ready. My first week I was doing very well. Up and around a bit, I felt I was doing pretty good considering. Week 2 Wasn't to bad got staples out day 8, wasn't taking pain pills any more. Doctor wanted me to continue taking them. Tired when I did to much. Week 3 Had a couple of days not so hot, a couple of days in pain. Still tired when I did to much. Week 4 & 5 incision pain sometimes very painful. I haven't seen much improvement in week 4 and 5. Everyday I have pain. By pain I mean a pull here, a tug there, a burn on the incision, an ache on my right ovary, etc. Mornings are good, mid afternoon the pain starts, in the evenings I'm sore and tired. Sometimes I will take pain pills but mostly I try and ride it out. Is this normal? I should be thinking about work soon, but I don't think I can do it. How long do you have pain everyday for?
Unread 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Re: 6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing??

Hi Ladies! I certainly hope you guys are doing well. Honestly I am nine weeks post op and dont feel bad. I felt the same way you guys did at six weeks. It seemed as if I was doing great then about week five/six not so much. I to had a lot of aprehension about returning to work. I have a physiscal job and to tell you the truth I was very sore the first couple of nights but it got better little by little everyday. I was exhausted though! I basically slept away my days off. I would not be to hard on yourselves though. I still get sore from time to time and cramp up a bit when I do to much. The biggest things is to listen to your body. Try to stop before you get sore and continue to rest as much as possible. It does get better. You will have good days and then not so good days. Today has been a not so good day for me personally. just sore and crabby *laughs* good luck to you guys, hang in there it does get better and when in doubt call your doctor. Thats what they are there for. *hugs*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 04:55 PM

You don't sound ready to go back to work in 2 weeks, especially if you are required to stand 4-6 hours! At the least consider modified duty. We can't force our bodies to heal faster than they are and it sounds like you are doing what you should be to recover. The 6 - 8 week time frame is not individualized -it's a general standard. Some heal quickly, others fit the general guidelines, others take longer. You have to listen to your body. I hope you have an appt with your doctor before going back to work, if not, please consider making one. Take care and hugs to you
Unread 03-13-2014, 05:06 PM

I'm a TVH 6 wks out and doing part time work . My dr said might be 8 wks before I'm better. I'm beginning to think the 6 wks thing is bunk! Still tired like you guys. Your not alone
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM
6 Weeks Post Op Hysterectomy ~ Feel Like I Should Be Further Along In Healing??

Thanks for reminding me I'm not alone. Other than this site, I do tend to feel alone in this. That's not to say I don't have a supportive hubby & a few friends who "get it", but there's so much physically & emotionally that goes along with this process. ((Hugs))
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Biker Lady1, I have almost constant pain. Sometimes a dull ache, sometimes after being up and around for more than a couple of hours the pain is more intense, along with the exhaustion. The vomiting episode has made pain very bad. I also didn't mention that I had to have unexpected surgery to remove gall bladder & related procedures 5 months ago ( when I originally planned to have Hysterectomy). My poor body has been through the ringer. Feel like I'm at least 20 years older than my 45 year old self.
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:03 AM

Sue V you have definitely been through the ringer. You've had a couple of major surgeries in a very short period of time. I've had 6 since 2009 and have to retire early because my body needs a long break. Please take care of yourself and be honest with your doctor about what you can and can't do. Also please talk to your doc about the vomiting - hopefully it's nothing but better to be safe than sorry. Ironically my first of this string of surgeries was having my gallbladder removed. Haven't been the same since!
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:16 AM

Wow Sue That is a lot on your body in such a short time. I couldn't imagine going through all of that. You are a trooper. My pain is not constant, mostly when I am up and around, and mostly in the afternoon and evening. Mornings are good. When I lay on the couch and don't move I'm pain free. My pain is mostly tolerable. By about 2 or 3 in the afternoon it's there. Mind you yesterday was a very good day and I went shopping in the morning. I was quite surprised that my afternoon and evening wasn't more painful. Usually the more I do the more pain later on. So there maybe hope yet.
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Hi ladies! You all sound normal to me .If it helps you to know I was just the same and still get twinges now,at 13 weeks.This is a big operation and shatters you.You will improve,bit by bit,sometimes without you hardly realizing it.If you have had an upset tummy as well,my heart goes out to you,be especially forgiving of your body.I still feel I have a way to go,and thankfully,my recovery has been straightforward. Big hugs to you all,hope this helps xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register