It's "just" pre-cancerous cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's "just" pre-cancerous cells It's "just" pre-cancerous cells

Unread 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
It's "just" pre-cancerous cells

I am so glad I found this site! I was diagnosed Wednesday with endometrial hyperplasia without atypia, or as I was told "pre-cancer". I have surgery scheduled in November for a hysterectomy. I am dealing with an emotional rollercoaster right now and am trying to justify why, because I keep hearing it's just pre-cancer, not cancer. My past medical history has cervical pre-cancer (HPV) and breast pre-cancer (LCIS). I am being told it's pre-cancer, but feeling like a cancer patient. Am I crazy? How many times can you hear pre-cancer and be expected to just brush it off once the surgery is over? I know I can't be the only one, but from where I'm sitting right now I feel very alone and confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Re: It's "just" pre-cancerous cells

21Daisies -

Sorry to hear that you are joining the club that nobody wants to join! But equally glad you found us.

In my opinion most people don't hear the "pre" part and only hear the Cancer part. You have every right to be in the confused state. Yes it is pre-cancer, yes the goal is for it to be gone with the surgery but excuse me....you still have to have surgery!

It's okay to feel like a cancer patient. Think of yourself as stage 0 or stage -1. If nothing had to be done it would be different but that's not the case.

Are you seeing a gyn-oncologist? They frequently treat "pre-cancer" and can make sure that all the tests are done to ensure it is pre-cancer.

I hope this all makes sense. In short...

Sending as you deal with all of this.

G.
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Please be sure to see a gynecological oncologist. You will have the best possible outcome. Good luck--I am sending a million hugs--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Hi there. I had the same diagnosis except mine was with atypia. I understand exactly how you feel.

My gyn-oncologist made a point of saying that the "pre" didn't need to be emphasized because it was still a concern. While we are lucky to have caught it in the "pre" stage, it is still scary and it's OK to feel how you feel. You have found out that bad cells are growing and it makes you think about the same things as I'm sure someone would think had they been diagnosed with cancer; you just think about your life in a different way.

So, give yourself permission to be afraid and please don't minimize your feelings because others may think it's not anything to worry about. It's your life, your body.

I wish you all the best throughout this process. November is a long time away. I waited 3 1/2 months to have my surgery and the waiting time was both good and bad. I had time to think, pray, plan and find some peace about the whole thing. The bad part was that it became my main focus everyday and it was hard for me not to obsess over it.

I'm glad you found this site and you will find a special comfort here that you may not find anywhere else. We are here for you.

Unread 08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

I had pre cancer polyps removed from my colon in May. Scared me more than just a little. My Dad had colon cancer. I know what cames after pre-cancer. Be glad it was found at the pre stage, but it's still an emotional roller-coaster.
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:31 AM

21Daisies,

I also encourage you to see a gyn/oncologist. I've done a lot of research on hyperplasia, and from what I understand, hyperplasia without atypia is not usually considered pre-cancerous b/c there is a low risk of it ever progressing to cancer. Instead of hysterectomy, it is usually treated successfully with progesterone treatment, and only if that doesn't work, is hysterectomy considered. Has your doctor discussed any of this with you? Is there some other reason why he/she wants to go straight to hysterectomy?

I was diagnosed with atypia last year, which is the one usually considered pre-cancerous b/c the high likelihood of progression to cancer, and I've been treated successfully with progesterone for a year, with no return of the hyperplasia.

I'm just surprised to hear that you were just diagnosed, and are already scheduled for surgery without any other treatment options considered. I hope you consider a second opinion.

Good luck.
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:12 AM

I had dysplasia (pre cancerous cells) and a positive HPV test too. I had 2 years of abnormal paps and two colposcopies as well. The good thing about cervical cancer is that paps test for it and you get precancerous cells a good 10 years before the cancer starts. If you have regular paps and appropriate treatment, you shouldn't be getting cervical cancer. I had my hysterectomy for fibroids and painful periods but they took my cervix too. I do have to still get yearly paps for now. If they're normal for the next 3 years, I think I can go to once every 3 years. Please don't be scared. You're getting treatment and your doc will take good care of you.
Unread 08-08-2010, 06:24 PM

I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia without atypia in 2006 at age 46(office bx & d&c to confirm). Dr. started me on Provera (2mos. skin rash - Aygestin for the next 4 mos.). Repeat d&c 2 mos. later. Hyperplasia still there. At that time, he gave me a choice: complete hysterectomy or stronger progesterone (Megace). 2 wks. later at appt. I started asking ?'s about the hysterectomy. I think because of that he said try the medicine (6 mos.), which I did with much anxiety. I am not a pill taker. 2 mos. later D&C was clear. A yr. later the spotting started again. Office bx. showed hyperplasia back again, however, the D&C was negative, so no treatment necessary. I found that strange and really never got any answer as to why the reports were both different. Another year and the spotting started again, the office bx showed simple/complex hyperplasia without atypia as well as the d&c. This time he recommended a hysterectomy. Due to my gyn only performing abdominal & vaginal hysters, I choose to go to a gyn/onc that my friend had (LAVH). Yes, there is a small percentage of this type that can progress to cancer and this was a condition that he felt needed to be treated. He did explain that the uterus would be checked in the OR & if any cancer was present he would be taking lymph nodes. Good news, my path report showed hyperplasia without atypia, no cancer. Everyone's situation is different but I hope my experience helps you out.
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM

I am so glad to have found this site too! Because of it, I felt informed and ready for my appointment with my gynocologist when she talked to me about my biopsy. I am 57 and have been diagnosed with hyperplasia without atypia. She recommends hysterectomy, but she also referred me to a gyn/oncologist so I could get a second opinion. I am scared; however, I am open to the possibility of a hysterectomy and glad I have time to decide to do what is best for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register