Hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Hrt

I'AM GOING IN FOR SURGERY OCT 27TH TO HAVE TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY (BUT HAVE A CHOICE TO KEEP OVERIES)??!!
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ADVICE I'AM 39. ALSO WHAT DOES HRT MEAN? THANK YOU LADEIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Hrt

Welcome, welcome...HRT means Hormone Replacement Therapy. You will want to check it out before surgery...and get knowledgeable...and THIS is the perfect site to do it.

I recommend a book: "Women, Weight and Hormones" by Dr. Elizabeth Vilet...and the hostesses on this site will be along to post alot of really good advice.

My doc said that after age 40 or so, the ovaries are nothing but a cancer magnet, so I had mine removed, and my experience with HRT has been VERY positive....I had terrible PMS all my life...but with HRT it has stabilized my moods big time and not having a period has been OUTSTANDINGLY great.

Good luck, and welcome...you are IN the right place!
Unread 09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Hrt

HRT stands for Hormone Replacement Therapy. You can find more info about this in the Hormone Jungle. It basically refers to hormones like estrogen which your body stops producing when you go through menopause, either surgically or naturally.

I can't give you advice about your ovaries, I haven't been given much of a choice, it's safer for me to have them removed because of cancer concerns. Since I don't know your medical reasons for having a hysterectomy it's impossible to give you advice other than do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions before making your decision.

Best of luck.

Mary Ellen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Hrt

Hi Margie.....I'm also having a TAH on the 27th. I'm 35 and also had a choice about my ovaries. however, I will be having mine removed because I actually have premature ovarian failure. HRT stands for hormone replacement therapy. Did your doctor discuss this at allwith you? What are your thoughts as far as your ovaries?
Unread 09-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Had to gO

Hi MARGIE17 ..
I didn't have a choice in keeping mine. I had Cervical Cancer so my body made that choice for me. But I can say I would have made the same choice that was made. I didn't want to take any chances on another surgery ....
Nobody can tell you to have yours, removed or to keep them. That's going to have to be your choice. I just know I have read story after story in here about ladies, keeping theirs and haveing to go back into surgery. To have them removed for some reason or another. Allot of it depends on your age to ... When your in the menopausal age they aren't to good for anything.
((My Dr. explained that to me)) I am 51.. He has me on Premerin hrt .. and I am doing just fine, I haven't had any hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings ect ... I hope everything works out for you. And you will make the right choice when the time comes ...
Best Wishes
Enjoli
Unread 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Re: Had to gO

Quote:
Originally posted by Enjoli
When your in the menopausal age they aren't to good for anything.
In menopause your ovaries DO still continue to trickle out hormones. The amounts are diminished over time, but if the ovaries are functioning they do still secrete hormones, throughout and after menopause, although the amounts greatly dimish over time so that in the end the amounts are very minuscle. If your ovaries continue to function they do still serve a purpose, even after menopause. The amounts may be tiny compared to our pre-menopausal years, but those amounts can make a difference.
Unread 09-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Hrt

If your ovaries are healthy and there's no history of ovarian cancer in your family, why not keep them? Your ovaries continue to dribble much needed hormones, even after menopause. Besides, it's much easier to supplement your own hormones than to find the right HRT if you have them removed. Even if they do fail after a while, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have them removed. Why don't you do a search of the site for information on this subject. We've had many, many discussions on this subject.

Had I known before my hysterectomy that I wouldn't be able to take estrogen, I definitely would have elected to keep my healthy ovaries. I had already finished with my periods and thought my ovaries were of no value anymore. Wish I knew then what I know now.

Click the link below for information about the benefits of keeping at least one ovary.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=10987

Gather all the information you can, and then ask yourself this question...if you were not having a hysterectomy, would you ask your doctor to take your healthy ovaries? Talk to your doctor about it. Together, you can make the decision that is right for you.
Unread 09-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Hrt

Hi Margie,

Welcome to Hystersisters from a fellow Chicagoan.

My best suggestion is to educate yourself with informaton and ask your doctor questions. Whether to keep your ovaries or have ovaries removed depends on a many factors. How is your health, your age, the age your mother started menapause, are the ovaries healthy, is there a family history of ovarian cancer?

This is a decision no one can make for you but you. Make a list of pros and cons, talk to ppl who have both kept and others that have had them removed. Look into Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). Today there are more options for HRT too.

The main idea here is education, the more you know the better off you will be when it comes to making your final decision.

Best of luck on your surgery and your decision making!

Reen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register