Painful Bowel Movements | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful Bowel Movements Painful Bowel Movements

Unread 01-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Painful Bowel Movements

I had my surgery 9 days ago (Christmas Eve). I am doing very very well with pain, except for pain when I have a bowel movement. There seems to be a "pressure" at my rectum and I cannot seem to have a "complete" movement. Anyone else???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Re: Painful Bowel Movements

I had mine on the 13th and experienced the same thing. The rectal pain and pressure was pretty miserable! It seemed that my bowels would "shut down" and not empty completely. My doctor recommended stool softeners daily and suppositories as needed. By 2 weeks post-op, the rectal pressure had subsided and my bowels were moving on their own, although very painfully. At almost 3 weeks post-op, I still have pain with bowel movements but it is gradually getting better. I was told this is all normal and things are just healing.
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM

I had TVH on the 19th. I usually have a difficult time with constipation and sometimes Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so I thought this might be a challenge...but wasn't prepared for how much of a challenge it actually was! Started on Stool Softeners in the hospital. The results: Day 4 post op: Went off Percoset to 3 Ibuprophen every 8 hrs. - Suppository (no result), 1 dose of Miralax - no result. Day 5: enema - no fun, but got some results. Day 8: started Miralax 3/day with Dr. orders (usual dose = 1/day). THIS WORKED!! I don't know if it was all the pain meds leaving my system, and the Miralax doses, or the bowels just kicking in after being 'adjusted' during surgery, but it seems my body is finally trying to take on this problem (with a little help!). I have a bran muffin with hot decaf tea for breakfast, some REALLY fiber-strong bread at lunch, a sliced apple for a snack and drink LOTS of juice (hey, I've gotta give my guts something to work with!) I'm still trying to figure this all out - how much 'help' do I need = will 1/day Miralax do it? Can I do without extra 'help'? My tummy feels HUGE (my Dr. just said, "well, we didn't put anything in, we took something out, so that doesn't make sense!" -- luckily I have an actual hyster-sister and this site to explain that this is not uncommon, and is normal. Bowel movements and gas can be painful, but at least I know that 'things are workin'! I hope this helps!! We're all so similar, and yet each of us has our own story. Luckily, we can share these stories and find comfort in the known and the unknown! GOOD LUCK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM

Had my first BM last night after taking a dose of Miralax and it was the most painful experience of my life. Took forever and all I could do was sit and cry. I am on a stool softener too, but they dont seem to be doing their job. I am terrified to go again, which is gonna make it hurt again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register