Fibroids: Scared and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids: Scared and confused Fibroids: Scared and confused

Unread 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Fibroids: Scared and confused

I have fibroids and have had for close to 10 years. I am 47 now and am having more problems with them. I can bleed for 2 or 3 weeks, be done for a week and start again. Not heavy bleeding, but it sure messes with living a normal, fun-filled life.

I have a hysterectomy(leaving the ovaries) scheduled for April 17th, but I am getting terrified the more I read on this forum. Is there anyone who has not had a problem? Or that has not had their sex life affected? I have been married for 28 years, and am very concerned about it.

I have been reading about alternatives and wonder if anyone has tried DIM to shrink their fibroids? I'm considering delaying the surgery and giving this a try. But I am still on a very low dose birth control pill and have heard this might interfere with it.

Thank you!
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Re: Scared and confused

Hi!

I just read your post, and think of myself.. I had a TAH on March 7, 2013, due to a LARGE uterine Fibroid (about 16 cm around).

I am only 30 years old, no children, but I went through the same thing.. no quality of life when you are constantly worrying about wearing tampons, or pads, because you bleed for a month!

The first week I cried and wondered why the HELL did I do this..
The second week, I cried and wondered why the HELL did I do this..
now into my 3rd week I am feeling much better, I can shower, cook, do dishes..
Yesterday I attempted to vaccuum, and wash the floors, little stiff today, but OK!

I dont regret it one bit..
I had a pretty normal surgery, however ended up with a pelvic hematoma which set me back a week.. but other than that.. the pain is manageable, and the recovery process is slow.. the more you try to do , the slower the process...
When people say REST and drink WATER they mean it..

shoud you need anything, or have any questions.. post.

Good Luck to you! Everything will be fine.

Manda
Unread 03-29-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm almost five weeks post op and I have to say that I wonder WHY did I wait so long to do it? I had huge fibroids the size of cantaloupes and my uterus was like a five month pregnancy. I haven't had any problems with my recovery at all. Yes, I was in pain just like everyone else the first couple of weeks. But, I was able to manage my pain very well (both at the hospital and at home) I followed all of my doctors orders and did almost nothing everyday. I was very lucky to have help at home everyday. I go for my six week check-up next week.

I haven't been cleared for sex yet so I can't speak to that issue but my hubby has assured me that no matter what, he loves me and that he will make sure that I enjoy making love again. I used to hate it because I was in so much pain all of the time.

It's a major surgery but most women don't have any complications with recovery. I advise you not to read the post op sections of the website. They can be deceiving and make you think that everyone is having major complications and issues. It's actually the opposite. Those of us with no issues rarely post over there unless we have a specific question. Hang there sister. Everything will be fine and the other side is beautiful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Have you asked about alternatives to remove your fibroids? I had a myomectomy (da Vinci) in January and the recovery was pretty easy and the great results were immediate. No more pressure, no more distended abdomen, no more bladder and bowel issues, and best of all, periods are now light and normal.

I am 43, married, and didn't want to risk any of the horrible potential side effects of hysterectomy I read about here (Post Op forum) and other sites. I also had to get four "second" opinions before finding my awesome surgeon who said he always recommends myomectomy before resorting to hysterectomy to address fibroids. Anyway, good luck and make the best decision for you because everyone is different!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register