Nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-28-2002, 10:25 AM
Nervous

Hi Ladies,
I am new here. I am 33 years old with 4 kids. I was just told last friday I will need a hysterectomy. I suffer from endometriosis. I've had 4 laparoscopies, 2 cryotherapies, Lupron and Depo. I'm currently not taking the depo anymore(as of January) because it just wasn't working for me. I knew all along I would eventually need a hysterectomy. My doctor told me a long time ago that it would be inevitable. I've put off the surgery till the last week of May because I'm in school. I'm just so scared to death of having it. Not so much of the pain(I've had 3 c-sections), but of the whole process of a hysterectomy. My doctor and I discussed hormone replacement and all that. She's worried about giving me hormones at my age and said we could leave one ovary and come back at a later time to take it out, but my endo is so bad that it would probably be better to take it all. I don't know anything about hormone replacements, so all this stuff is making me a bit nervous. I really need so advice and info on hormone replacements. Are there different ones for different stages?

Thanks,
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Welcome!

Hi, Tammy! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the web! I didn't have endometriosis, but I had many cycles with progesterone, and finally DepoProvera which didn't work (but caused bad side effects). I think you will be feeling so much better after having a hyst, and getting your good health back. Some drs don't give HRT for a few weeks to a few months after removing ovaries in patients with endometriosis because they think the estrogen could cause it to grow back, and they want it to all die out first. But there's no clear proof of that, so some drs will give low (add-back) estrogen at first, just enough to prevent severe hot flashes/night sweats. And other drs go ahead and start their patients on regular doses of HRT. The dose is individual, depending on what each woman needs to feel good. Usually, the younger you are, the more estrogen your body has been producing, so you need a little more than us older gals whose ovaries have been slowling down. Most women only need to take estrogen, but others feel better with some progesterone and even a little testosterone. If you go to HysterSisters home page and click on Hormone Jungle (not the message board), there are many articles about HRT concerns. Look towards the top right-hand side and scroll down to find the subject you want to read about. Also, you can post any questions you have on the hormone jungle message board, and the ladies there are very knowledgeable in this area. (Of course, you can post questions/comments on any board you want, too)

I must say that if you are having an abdominal hyst, it won't be the same as a c=section. The recovery period is much longer, and more restrictions while you recover. For both an abd or vag hyst, the initial recovery if 6-8 weeks, though there may be less swelling/pain with a vag hyst. You must rest with feet up for the first 2 weeks, with only short walks allowed. Then you can slowly resume more light activity, but no lifting, heavy housework (including vacuuming), or standing on your feet for long periods. Ask your dr for specific instructions and see the HysterSisters book, too! You can go to the top of the page to "search" to find subjects of interest (like comparing TAH to c-section, recovery restrictions, etc.) Glad you joined us! Best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 02-28-2002, 02:16 PM
I have endo & my opinion is....

why remove something that is healthy???

I understand your feeling of why not remove it all now & save having to have another surgery to remove the remaining ovary. I was in the same posotion that you are just a few months ago. I had a really hard time making a decision about what to do.

I really (in my gut) hated the thoughts of going on hormones at the age of 24. But in the same turn, I hated the thoughts of having to have another surgery 3, 5, 10 years down the road when we could just have everything taken care of then and there. I asked anyone who would listen and got a wide variety of answers and replies. However, in the end, it was ultimately my decision.

At my pre-op appt. my and I had a heart to heart talk about this subject....he told me that he could not give me a pill that would be as good as what God had given me.

I came home and thought about it and those words kept popping into my mind. I made the decision that I would let the doctor decide according to how bad it looked when he got inside there and could see what everything looked like.

Well, that was my first question when I woke up from surgery and I was told that the right one had been completely eated to death by endo, but he was able to save the left one.

I knew going in that there if an ovary was left that there will always be a chance that I will have to go back in and have the remaining one removed. I have accepted that. I know that no matter whether it is 2 months, 2 years or 20 years post-op that my ovary continues to produce eggs and estrogen that it is doing something very valuable for my body. I just put my trust in God and know that he is in control of everything.

This is a decision that you will have to make for yourself...or you could do as I did and tell the doctor that if it is possible to save one, to do it.

I really wish you the best, and I know that deep down you know the right thing to do for yourself. We sisters will be here for you regardless of your decision and we will support you 250%.

If you would like to talk, you can e-mail me directly at working_4_endo@hotmail.com

Here's a as I am sure you could use one right now.

Endo_Chic

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register