About that GAS... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

About that GAS... About that GAS...

Unread 03-10-2002, 08:11 AM
About that GAS...

Okay, I just said in another post that I was about to pack for my trip, but...

I just can't pull myself away from this place! And procrastination about certain things has also become a terrible habit lately.

So, before I go, I must ask...

Ummm...

How do I put this?

Well, okay... uhhhh... the GAS I've seen referred to in so many posts... Now, would this be, uh, like, just, um, INTERNAL gas pains? As in ya feel 'em but no one else in the room is aware of it (unless they see the grimace on your face, that is)?

My parents are making a long trip to be by my side in the hospital. I'm guessing they will probably set up some sort of "rotation" schedule with my husband and they can all take turns "standing watch" over me.

In a way, I think it will be great (and I am very grateful), but when I think of "the gas crisis", I don't want 'em around! Ugh, what an embarrassing situation it could turn out to be! (Yes, I know they're my parents and they changed my diapers, etc., but hey, that was a long, long time ago! hehe!)

Should I be this worried? Can any of you, uh, be descriptive about just how bad (and AUDIBLE!) it will be?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 08:18 AM
About that GAS...

Hi there!

Hey - go pack for your trip and don't be worrying about such things!

....but as long as I'm here, I will say that, for me there was some kind of magical re-positioning of priorities and perspectives once I had my surgery and was lying there in the castle. All of a sudden, things that would have concerned me before (like .....um.... gas?...) became complete *non-issues*.

Take some white-out and just smear this one off your list, sweetie.

((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:02 AM
About that GAS...

I'm with Toonses on this on all fronts!

And it was internal gases moving around. The issue is that you want to move it out of your body (I had to in order to be allowed solid foods), not that it comes out too much or without warning. The fear it will hurt was way worse than the reality. Get up and walk as soon as you can, drink lots, and just go into the bathroom to release that gas - I had not one instance of it coming out without my choosing it to :-).

Also, bring something like gas-x (but ASK the nurses or your doctor before using it). They may give it to you as a matter of course in the hospital - mine did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 10:06 AM
About that GAS...

The big problem is getting the gas out. Certainly while you are at the hospital it won't be happening nearly as much as you would like it to and when it does you'll feel so relieved that if anybody is around you won't be in the least embarrassed.
Unread 03-10-2002, 01:34 PM
About that GAS...

I have to agree with Toonces and the others. The post op gas is more like a feeling of "rolling thunder"...it's internal and you'll be amazed how it feels like something is running around in there.

But it is certainly not a big deal and not something to be thinking about. It's true...the priorities we spend time thinking about here just vanish after the surgery. With everything else that's going on at the hospital, passing gas becomes a wonderful, highly awaited event, not the usual "embarrassing" inappropriate social behavior.

You can't eat until you pass the gas...so drink your water, walk those halls, and you will be celebrating the big event. And don't worry about anyone hearing it...you won't care, believe me!

Karen
Unread 03-10-2002, 04:03 PM
About that GAS...

Oh, Karen, you made me laugh (ooh that hurts:-) )! I was concentrating SO hard to get that gas out, walking and walking, and when I finally got it out, all alone, I let out a "YAY - Good Girl!" and went out to find my nurse and tell her "I get lunch!!". It really WAS an exciting event..hee hee! If you haven't been there yet, you'll think I'm crazy, but if you have, you can relate.
Unread 03-11-2002, 03:25 PM
About that GAS...

I also have a question about the gas. I am allergic to lots of foods and have problems with gas more often than not. I am planning on getting retested for foods since my doctor wants me to give the hospital a list of the foods for me to avoid. It's been 7 years since I was last tested. We're also testing latex btw.

What I'm wondering is if the gas is going to be worse for me because I'm so prone to digestive problems or if I'll be able to deal with it because I'm used to having digestive problems.

I'd love to hear how others with digestive/intestinal problems have done after TAH.

Thanks everyone!

Susan

Unread 03-11-2002, 05:17 PM
"Rolling Thunder?"

I'm rolling laughing! Although believe me I know that gas pains are THE worst and nothing to laugh about at the time. I'm with the others who say there are other things of more priority and that when that first magical "explosion" occurs you'll be so relieved it won't matter who's around! You'll feel better and your parents will too knowing you're getting there. Walking will help and if the pains are bad, ask for the Gas-X (another thing I didn't know about beforehand and wasn't offered--wish I'd known of this site pre-hysterectomy). Also remember we're all different--this may be a problem for you or it may not be. But gee--I think they tried to give me solid food before I could get rid of the gas--I looked at whole-wheat cereal, pancakes and fruit and knew if nothing was moving I'd be in big trouble.
Unread 03-11-2002, 09:43 PM
About the Gas

Ok, here's the 411 about the gas. After reading everyone's post messages about the gas, I was also nervous about embarassing myself in the hospital. I had my TVH on 2/18. My pre-op nurse and staff couldn't stop laughing when I explained that my major concern about my surgery was the GAS. She assured me that I wouldn't be the only person in recovery with a gas problem. But, the truth is that when you're in recovery, you will be so medicated and out of it, you won't remember anything but waking up. Believe me, by the time you return to your room, you are going to have the "I don't care attitude".

The gas is internal and it won't come out willingly. My doctor sent me home the next day after surgery and he wasn't concerned about whether or not I was passing gas. My DH rubbed my back which helped relieve the pressure that I had. My kids laughed and said they were going to enlist me in a belching contest.

I do strongly recommend to walk immediately and prior to surgery, purchase an anti-gas relief with simethicone and a stool softener laxative. After your surgery or as soon as possible begin taking them. You'll be glad you did. The walking wakes up your body systems and minimizes the gas. I walked as much as I could and the gas which felt like annoying cramps lasted about 3 days. I worried for weeks about the Horrified Gas Pains that I heard so much about and how painful it would be. I can't believe that I wasted so much of my time worrying about it. I look back on this and laugh at myself. Believe me, compared to the problems that you're probably currently experiencing prior to surgery - the gas is nothing. Sit Back and relax and think of happy thoughts of how great you're going to feel after surgery!!!! Best Wishes.....
Unread 03-16-2002, 03:45 AM
Thanks!!

It was so nice to return to my trip to find all of your replies! Thank you for taking the time to address my (silly) concern!

It was helpful to read the information you provided about what to expect. Equally important to me, though, are your messages about putting it all in perspective.

So, from here on out I will TRY not to worry about it... and I'll also do the things you recommended.

Rolling thunder... ugh, what a thing to "look forward" to!

Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register