And now...a word about endo cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

And now...a word about endo cancer And now...a word about endo cancer

Unread 06-14-2004, 09:23 PM
And now...a word about endo cancer

Just wanted to share with my sisters a word of warning about endo cancer, not to freak anyone out.....but just to give you all a heads up, we are helpless to protect ourselves without education. This is what I've learned from my experience..............
For years I had had trouble with not ovulating properly which thickens the uterine lining and placed me at risk for endo/uterine cancers. My doc in the city I used to live in performed periodic biopsies to make sure everything was ok. 4 yrs ago I moved to a new town and the new doc didn't think biopsies were necessary. He continued to treat my ever worsening condition with hormones, etc and always pooh pooh'd the notion of a biopsy whenever I brought it up. It left me thinking maybe former doc had been performing the biopsies unnecessarily. He never recommended a biopsy or ablation. Finally my condition and pain was so bad I requested a uterine ablation (which I found out about on my own) An ablation is a surgical procedure that removes a portion of the uterine lining. I had that procedure on 4/15 and the following Wednesday got a phone call from the doc telling me the pathology from the ablation revealed stage 1a endo cancer. HUH??!?!? How in the world is that possible? He referred me to a gyn/oncologist and I had a TAH BSO 7 weeks ago. Luckily there was no further cancer and no further treatment was required but if you have any of the following symptons, please seek appropriate treatment....
1) missed periods followed by months of heavy bleeding with clotting
2) watery discharge
3) a diagnosis of improper ovulation and ultrasounds that reveal a thickened uterine lining
4) vaginal bleeding following sex and bowel movement
NONE OF THE ABOVE MEANS YOU HAVE CANCER......but they can be indicators and forewarned is forarmed.
I'm not a doc, and I really don't want to alarm anyone, but I hope this is the proper forum for sharing experiences that may benefit a sister.
Good luck to you all and if a visit to the castle is in your future I wish you a speedy and total recovery!!
God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 04:14 AM

ceedeewho, thanks for sharing your story with us. It is always good to educate women about this. Now, have you been checked out for polycystic ovarian syndrome? It causes irregular ovulation and not getting it treated can lead to endometiral cancer, which is my story, plus other complications. Though I did have an endometrial biopsy a couple years previous that was negative, before the next one showed up possibly positive - it was the symptoms that took me back. I have incuded a past post about what I went through and explaining PCOS in detail. If this info isn't new to you, I apologize, but like you, I want others to know about this also. The best news is that they did catch it at stage 1a!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
please scroll down, way down, to my reply once you get there:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...arian+syndrome
Unread 06-15-2004, 04:32 AM

Thank you for your story. I also saw somehwere on here about making sure they run a pathology report on everything removed after the hyst. I asked my Doc about it and he said that was automatically done. I'm glad because I was going to request or demand one.

I wonder if I even would have thought about it if I hadn't seen it here at Hystersisters?!?!? Brain is frazzled here lately.

I'm so glad that all of us are here to help each other!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 05:02 AM

I'm glad you brought that up. A good friend of mine found out she had uterine cancer, but not until she was stage 4! She had normal paps and everything. The way she found out was that she was getting pains she thought was constipation so she took laxitives, which didn't help. The pain kept getting worse and worse, she missed work, couldn't even stand up straight. She didn't have any health insurance because she just switched jobs. It got so bad that she ended up going to the ER on a weekend and that's when it was discovered. They ended up doing an emergency hyst and that's when they found multiple tumors, and cancer that engulfed her uterus, ovaries, colon, intestines, you name it.

After several rounds of chemo, she is now "cancer free" and doing so much better.

It's a scary story but thankfully, a happy ending. The point is, always make sure you pay attention to your symptoms. But, like my friend, you can beat it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register