Any Regrets?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any Regrets?? Any Regrets??

Unread 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Any Regrets??

I am waiting for my hysterectomy to be scheduled. I have a hystory of extremely heavy periods, every two weeks lasting 10 days with spotting on my off days. She will be leaving my ovaries but taking the cervix and uterus. Can anyone tell me any side effects they have had or problems with their hormones after having this done? Any regrets? I would like as much information as possible before anything is finalized. Also, my hormones are totally wacked as well. Very high estrogen, very low progesteron so I am on natural suplements for that. Any advise as to what to expect with my hormones after the procedure? Am I looking at an early menopause? I am 36, three healthy boys and no desire to have more children. Thanks for your time.

Bowdy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Any Regrets??

I am only five days post op and I have no regrets at all. I had a severe prolapse and that was the only real problem. I went through the change easily about 8 years ago. It was just so annoying having this bulge to deal with down there. I have basically had no pain but then I had a TVH with A&P repairs so I have no incision to deal with. I am sure that mine is the easiest type of surgery so I do feel sorry for those who experience a lot of pain. My butt is sore---- still and bm's are not pleasant but that is from the extensive repair to the rectum. We are all different but I sure have no regrets.

I am bored out of my mind. My brain seems to still be fuzzy from the spinal so I have to write down when I take my meds etc. but I think that is a good idea anyway. I am having trouble with my sudoku puzzles and that is bothersome. I do not know how druggies do it--- being in a fog is not that pleasant to me and I have taken very few of the pain pills which were prescribed. I think, I've taken 6 total in five days. Heaven only knows how ditzy I'd be if I took the allowed amount. I don't need it so I am not taking any more than I absolutely need.

Do all the research you can and weigh all of your options because it is major surgery no matter how it is done.

Good luck.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay.
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Any Regrets??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdy
I am waiting for my hysterectomy to be scheduled. I have a hystory of extremely heavy periods, every two weeks lasting 10 days with spotting on my off days. She will be leaving my ovaries but taking the cervix and uterus. Can anyone tell me any side effects they have had or problems with their hormones after having this done? Any regrets? I would like as much information as possible before anything is finalized. Also, my hormones are totally wacked as well. Very high estrogen, very low progesteron so I am on natural suplements for that. Any advise as to what to expect with my hormones after the procedure? Am I looking at an early menopause? I am 36, three healthy boys and no desire to have more children. Thanks for your time.

Bowdy

I had the same problems...long heavy periods,spotting on off days,cramping and even ended up in the hospital last April needing 4 pints of blood.My hormones have been all messed up also but that was caused by the Lupron
injections I have been taking to put my body in menopause so my blood count could build up for my surgery.I am now 6 weeks post op from having a TAH(kept ovaries) and I finally feel normal. No more worrying if I am going to start or having to take extra clothes to work. I am 41 mother of 2 young adults(daughter21,son18) and didn't desire anymore children either.I hope all goes well with your surgery and I will keep you and the rest of your family in my prayers. Take it easy and let them take care of you.There are plenty of ladies on here willing to talk...it is nice when you can talk to others that have been where you are and where you are going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 07:57 PM
No Regrets

I am 7 days post op and have no regrets at all. My situation is similar to yours...2 boys, bleeding most of the time etc.

I feel good and for the first time in a long time I don't have to carry a second change of clothes everywhere I go.
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Any Regrets??

I had mysurgery in November and have no regrets. I had my ovaries removed so I'm no help as far as the hormone issue.

Today I was about to leave for the mall and thought about wether to bring "supplies", the time of the month, etc.. I'd been having heavy periods for so many years I hadn't realized how much I thought about these things. It sure is nice to know you'll never have another period, accident, need for a change of clothes, cramps, etc... And the whole anemia issue...

Nope, no regrets at all.
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Any Regrets??

No regrets here, NONE! I'm only 8 days post op and I am happy, happy. happy!

I had periods that lasted 10-14 days and then came back in 10-14 days, flooding, clots the size of my HEAD. Every trip seemed to be an exercise in finding toilets in every city. I'm not even exagerating there. Hint: Most toilets in CA, Oregon, Seattle and Chicago have toilet seat covers. A real plus when you're bleeding like a stuffed pig.

Regrets? Only one, and that's that I didn't have it sooner.

Be good to yourself, be informed, trust your doctor or find one you can trust, and make sure you get a second opinion.

You'll do great!

Peace and Love
Brinks
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Any Regrets??

Hi Bowdy,

Regrets?? None for me.

My hyst gave me back my *quality of life*. It is nice to live a life without heavy periods and 24/7 pelvic pressure from fibroids. It is nice to have a bladder that works great and a high energy level.

My hyst is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term gyneo health.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Any Regrets??

No regrets and no problems!
Unread 01-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Any Regrets??

Count me in the "no regrets" column -- between size and problems, so far I feel like a new woman!
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:45 AM
Any Regrets??

NO regrets! I'm glad it's over. No more of those god-aweful periods. It's just beginning to sink in, that I have my life back. Don't have to plan vacations around me, no more making sure provisions were in every coat, glovebox, workbag, etc. I've ruined more clothes than you can shake a stick at. This site is great with a bunch of great ladies, take advantage of it. Let your decision be a solid one.
Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register