Clothes to wear home after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothes to wear home after surgery Clothes to wear home after surgery

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Clothes to wear home after surgery

Hi...

I was wondering what to wear to come home after surgery...I'm supposed to be getting the daVinci procedure done and my dr. said she makes an incision above the belly button, with two "ports" off to the side as well.

I was going to wear stretchy athletic "bike" shorts home, but was concerned about where the waist band hits...I guess a sundress or something like that would be the best?

UGH...i feel so dumb. The only clothing in my wardrobe are jeans, jean shorts, and t-shirts (and one pair of stretchy workout shorts).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Re: Clothes to wear home after surgery

I had a laparoscopic procedure done before. And i have had a c section. so i know loose clothing preferably with NO waistbands will be best for me. My mom went and bought me some long, soft, flowy sun dresses for the week after.

HTH!
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:44 AM

Nothing on the waistline----that is the main thing, and it should be loose. A dress, or something like yoga pants where you can roll the waist up or down would be good. No jeans. You may need to line up a new item or two if you don't own something loose, or at least not hitting the waist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM

My two lowest suture sites from my daVinci are about an 1/8 inch lower than my belying button. They were covered with derma bond glue, but very tender. Add to that the swelling and my inability to twist or bend - loose clothes are the way to go home and for first couple of days. Even if your bike shorts are strechy, they may be difficult to get in and out of. I lived in two inexpensive pull over t- shirt sundresses from Target the first 10 days. Not very shapley but very comfy.
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM

I had TAH, so I just wore pajamas home. The kind with big stretchy elastic waist band, a big shirt, and my good ole flip flops...lol.. While I was in the hospital I actually changed into my own nightgown and wore a robe to walk down the hallway. I too own alot of jeans, jean shorts and t-shirts!!! Prayers and thoughts coming your way Sister!!!!
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:52 PM

I also wore home my pajamas. It was Christmas Eve when I left the hospital. I just stuck my big heavy robe on as I was only going from the hospital to the car and into the house. I also had on moccasins with hard bottoms and husband just had to give me a hand to get into the car and house. Luckily it was only very cold and not snowy or icy when I went home. I do only live 5 min from the hospital though.
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM

I wore yoga pants and just folded the waistband over. On the top, sports bra and loose t-shirt. That's pretty much what I lived in for my 6-week recovery period as well
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I bought a couple of loose sundresses from Wal-mart today. Not very attractive on me, but who cares!! Also bought a couple more long night shirts.
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM

I'm planning on wearing capris with elastic waistband, and a loose fitting top home from the hospital. I hope I'll be comfortable
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM

I bought a night gown and robe and left in those - wheelchaired it out right to the car then right to bed when I got home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register