Got 6 week post-op check-up 27/6 - scared!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got 6 week post-op check-up 27/6 - scared!! Got 6 week post-op check-up 27/6 - scared!!

Unread 06-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Good news!!!!!!

Don't panic!!!!!!!! I avoided going to the doctor for about 4 years because of how painful exams have always been for me (I am not sexually active either, and don't plan on starting to any time in this lifetime).

I had to have an exam at two weeks because of fever and problems I had a few days before when my incision ripped open (FYI if you spray stuff in your kitchen for fruit flies, it will eventually settle on the floor and make it slippery). I was scared to death of an exam this early! They were terrible before and I was sure this was going to be even worse because of the surgery.

Man was I in for a shock! It barely hurt at all! The speculum exam was very short and delicate, but for the internal he had to push pretty hard on the end of the vagina (cuff) to see if there was a pocket of fluid behind there. Before the surgery this would have sent me through the room. Anything touching the cervix hurt so bad. I also had a tipped uterus which I did not find out until a March ultrasound (and I've had a lot of them before).

Apparently, when you get your cervix and your uterus removed, there's nothing to hurt anymore! I had my 5 week check today and he only did the speculum, was super quick and it was done. He told me since I now have no female organs and am not sexually active that I would not need any exams anymore! He wants me to make sure I do self breast exams and come in to the office once a year just to get my blood pressure checked before refilling my hormone patch.

So, you might not be that far away from your dream of having no more exams.

Try to relax about the appointment, and know that if your doctor wants/needs to examine you it's for a good reason. Have to make sure the cuff is healed properly. Take deep breaths but think of me during this time also...I went from wanting to jump through the roof before surgery to no problem at all after, so hopefully this will be the case for you too. If I can do it, so can you!

Keep healing!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Got 6 week post-op check-up 27/6 - scared!!

hi
i had my op in may 6 weeks ago and my appointment at the hospital is for August .I actually went to the doctor last week and said my appointment is for August so she gave me an examination not internal and said that if all is well i could cancel the hospital one. Well we are moving in August so i am going to her for a full check of everything down below before we move.Saves travelling to the hospital etc. I feel fit and not so tired back to normal really just got a lot of packing to do!!!! and the kids to sort. Hope all is well with all you ladies bye for now.
Anne
Unread 06-23-2005, 02:52 AM

This response is directed to Maria (Blowhorn):

Please don't listen to your doctor when he tells you that you no longer need exams! The only thing he intends to do when you return to him is check your blood pressure and write you a new prescription for your hormone patch? He told you that because you no longer have your reproductive organs you no longer need a yearly exam?

I have been talking to my doctor during my last few visits to treat my granulation. Here is what he would tell you. Every woman over the age of 18 needs an annual gynecological exam. There are things a doctor can diagnose that we cannot. Did your doctor tell you that because he removed your cervix that you won't develop cervical cancer? If he did, he LIED to you. There is still a chance you could. Microscopic cervical cells can implant themselves in your vagina and cause vaginal cancer--it is rare, but it can develop. You still need to have a pap smear. Is your doctor 100% positive that 100% of your endometrial tissue was removed? Even a small amount of endometrial tissue remaining inside, fed by the estrogen in your hormone patch can cause your endometriosis to return. Even if you are diligent with breast self-examinations, your doctor can find some tiny lumps you may not.

Please do not listen to your doctor. If all he is going to do to you during your annual visits is check your blood pressure and write you a new prescription for your hormone patch, RUN, don't walk out of his office and find you a COMPETENT gynecologist, please!

Do any of my "sisters" share my opinion?

Carol
Unread 06-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Yes, Carol!

Yes, Carol...I share your opinons! I just had my 2 week post op appointment yesterday and asked my doctor if I still need an annual exam. She said yes, as she still does the breast exam AND pelvic exam (I think she mentioned PAP test also). Mind you...I've had EVERYTHING taken out. I am glad she wants me to keep coming back for those annual tests....despite having no "plumbing" left! Best to be safe!
Unread 06-23-2005, 07:22 AM

Doggone it, thanks alot ladies.
Leaving the hospital, hubby was trying to find nice, uplifting things to look forward to ( I was really sad about losing my uterus and finding the tumors and my options were not exactly a reason to party and live it up) and he mentioned "no more pads, no more accidents, no more pain, no more PAPS to dread, no more "spread your legs and say 'ouch!'", and so on and so on.

I have a one week check up on Friday and this is to the surgeon only as far yet as it goes. But I have to make appts for well checks for the boys with our PCP. I am now going to call today. I know I am set up for my first Mamogram this fall. I was not going to exactly keep that appt. But now I think I AM. I just got done reading a story in "Cup of Comfort" (It was a nice gift from someone at the hospital and if you like the "Chicken Soup" books- run and go get this book ! It's paperback.) and one of the stories was about a Mom who had a hysterectomy and then died of cervical cancer. I was laying out reading this yesterday going "RIGHT ! Like THAT could happen!"......
Then you go on here and SAY that it can.
I am keeping my appts for the future for PAPS and anything else.
Who would have even THOUGHT that I would get tumors and have all this happen?????
Ok, if I go and keep these appts. Then YOU ALL have to do this too !!! Remember, we are all holding hands in cyberspace no matter where we are !!!!!!
Unread 06-23-2005, 07:26 AM

I was also told to come back once a year for my annual check up...and I have *nothing* left either, everything is gone. So, I intend to follow her orders and I *will be* having my annual checks same as always. It is amazing how doctors are so different. My advice: Don't avoid going to have your annual exams...too many things *could* happen. Take care, sisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register