Had my pre-op appointments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had my pre-op appointments Had my pre-op appointments

Unread 01-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Had my pre-op appointments

and they went fairly well. However, the doc did do a biopsy of my uterine lining while I was there. I did NOT like that at all. I have been crampy since. And am spotting again. But I'll live with it. Afterall, I go to the castle in a few days and then it will all be over and done.

The doc did suggest I follow a clear liquid diet and drink a can of magnesium citrate the day before surgery. He said it would make me more comfortable after surgery, but I don't have to do it if I don't want to. What I'm thinking of doing is eat a normal breakfast, take the can of stuff like mid-morning and then do clear liquids. Since I am off work the day before surgery, I will be as close to the bathroom as I want to be. Any suggestions or comments on my idea/plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 12:08 PM

I put up with three years of those biopsies - true, not fun!! The spotting does subside but I did find the cramps worse from that than from normal period pain.

I was able to eat up to midnight the night before surgery (at 2 pm next day) and could drink clear liquids until 8 am - too keep from getting dehydrated. Had no bowel prep but did make sure that I was "regular" so as not to get backed up the day before. Light eating helped. Surgery on Monday and needed a suppository Thurs. to wake things up - with a little prune juice every once in a while all has been working well.

Good luck on Tues. - looking forward to you joining us on the other side.

Tracy
Unread 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM

I had the biopsy last year and it was awful for me too, when I got dressed and the doc came back into the room I was lying on the table in the fetal position, it was clear though, which I guess is nice to know, but man it hurt! As far as eating, do what feels best for you, I won't be eating and I have to do a bowel prep but some people feel better when they have something in their stomach, good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 04:33 PM

yeah. That one was a bear. My doc said she'd have told me to take ibuprofen ahead of time if she'd known she'd be doing one, but this was a post cone appointment when I told her I was bleeding continuously.
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM

oh man no kidding on the biopsy hurting. I called the doc. the next day just ot make sure i should still be cramping and spotting. they said it was. im almost done though only one week left. cant wait till all teh pain is over. although i will admit i am scared i think the waiting is the worse part. My pre op is on the 28 ill have to ask doctor about this clear diet i havent heard anything about yet. all i was told was i may not want to eat anything greesy or heavy 3 days before so next weekend im eating all the bad stuff . hope everyone elses surgery goes well

cat
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM

Hi Ladies,

I'm reading all I can on here before my surgery and was wondering what the reason was for the pre-op biopsy? Does everyone need this done before having a hyst? Just curious...thanks.
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:25 PM

I hope I won't have anything of the sort come the 29th, my pre-op.
I had a colcoscopy, and leep treatments which had awful cramps and bleeding, I feel for ya sister. Good Luck!
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFK
Hi Ladies,

I'm reading all I can on here before my surgery and was wondering what the reason was for the pre-op biopsy? Does everyone need this done before having a hyst? Just curious...thanks.
The reason for my biopsy was because the doc saw a thickening of my uterine lining at my last appointment and wanted the tissue biopsied before my surgery. He was worried that by doing my surgery laproscopically there wouldn't be enough tissue left over for a biopsy afterwards.
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFK
Hi Ladies,

Hi fellow Canuck!!

I had biopsies every 6 months for the past 3 years also for hyperplasia (over-growth of cells in the uterus). My GYN was watching that these cells stayed "normal" and didn't turn pre-cancerous - after my surgery the path report came back all clear - now it's one less thing to worry about!!

Tracy
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Thank you for replying, bean_dog and TeeKayJay.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register