Not Scheduled My Story...Plus Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Story...Plus Questions My Story...Plus Questions

Unread 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
My Story...Plus Questions

Hi,
I am new here and just joined today. I have been following the forum for over 15 months.

I will start from the beginning. I started menstrating at 11 years old. Acutally, it was the day before my 12th birthday. Nice birthday present. From my first period, I was in pain. I vomited, cramps for 2-4 days, heavy bleeding (clots), lived on pain medication since I was 12. I am now 35 yeas old.

I was dx's with endometroisis at 20 years old and had 3 lapro. surgeries. I was on birth control for a while and it did help but came off it because it caused me to be depressed and then I ended up on psychotropic meds which I had strong reactions to it and can't be on any meds.

I had one child at 30 but had bad complications and can't have anymroe children. I almost died from 3 DVT's that developed 6-12 hours after my emergency c-section. I suffered so badly from post-partum. It took 18-20 months for me to be better. I have to say that I never felt better when I was pregnant. I was so happy and never felt that way in my whole life. Well, maybe before I started menses.

I was scheduled for a hyster. last year but didn't go thru it cause I wasn't ready. I am now and am not scared. The pain I live with is just not good at all. I also suffer from moderate PMDD. From the time I ovulate to 1-3 days from the time my period begins I am just miserable. I have a appt. with my doc next Monday to schedule a date but I have some questions for you all.

1. He suggests a hysterectomy but to leave my ovaries. I see from other women on here who have PMDD that the took their ovaries out. I am wondering if I should do the same but I can't be any any HRT due to my clotting disorder and history of DVT's.

2. I have a swallow cervix so he is taking that. What does that mean? Will my orgasms be different and less pain when I have sex?

3. What about weight gain? I am overweight and have lost 30 pounds since he saw me last. I actually thought of getting gastric bypass with my hysterectomy. I am 100 pounds overweight.

That is me in a nutshell and I am sure that I have left out some things but I am veyr happy to be on this forum and look forward to your answers and opinions.

Sincerely,
Jenn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Re: My Story...Plus Questions

sounds like u have had a long and painful journey. I havent had my surgery yet. One thing that we do have in common is that we are overweight I have also lost 30 lbs my doc wanted more because I am getting da vinci and the extra belly fat makes it hard to do that sorta surgery and my surgery maybe abdominal surgery which is a longer recovery time.
well best wishes hope u get the answer u need
Tamika
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM

hey jenn, i am 14 weeks post op, so wanted to share my answers...

1. as for ovaries, i had mine out because of history of cysts and endometriosis/pain... i am on HRT... women who keep their ovaries still ovulate and can have PMS symptoms, but i'm not sure if they are as severe as the PMDD... i was never diagnosed with PMDD, but i'm pretty sure its what i had... i fit all the symptoms starting at age 10 when my periods started...

2. i had my cervix removed... i was concerned about how sex would be, but for me its just as good... my orgasms are different, but not in a bad way... my husband says there is no difference...

3. since my hyst, i have lost 18lbs without trying... now i've noticed that my weight fluctuates during the day... i have easily gained and lost 6lbs in a day... i think being on HRT is causing some of that... i am also extremely overweight...

good luck,
marlee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamikaallen85 View Post
sounds like u have had a long and painful journey. I havent had my surgery yet. One thing that we do have in common is that we are overweight I have also lost 30 lbs my doc wanted more because I am getting da vinci and the extra belly fat makes it hard to do that sorta surgery and my surgery maybe abdominal surgery which is a longer recovery time.
well best wishes hope u get the answer u need
Tamika
Hi Tamika,
I am seeing my doc this upcoming Monday to schedule my surgery. I am to the point that I don't want to suffer anymore. I am a pretty spiritual person and I am going into this with a open mind and only but positive thoughts. I am a big follower of the law of attraction. I guess I am tired of living in prescription/over the counter drugs. I feel that the quality of life waiting for me after the surgery.

I probably will have the surgery in Sept. which gives me mroe time to lose some more weight. I think that I will be keeping my ovaries. Part of me wants to get them out but I can't be on HRT due to my clotting disorder and I have had DVT's in the past. I don't want to risk it.

Thanks for saying hi.

Jenn
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly36 View Post
hey jenn, i am 14 weeks post op, so wanted to share my answers...

1. as for ovaries, i had mine out because of history of cysts and endometriosis/pain... i am on HRT... women who keep their ovaries still ovulate and can have PMS symptoms, but i'm not sure if they are as severe as the PMDD... i was never diagnosed with PMDD, but i'm pretty sure its what i had... i fit all the symptoms starting at age 10 when my periods started...

2. i had my cervix removed... i was concerned about how sex would be, but for me its just as good... my orgasms are different, but not in a bad way... my husband says there is no difference...

3. since my hyst, i have lost 18lbs without trying... now i've noticed that my weight fluctuates during the day... i have easily gained and lost 6lbs in a day... i think being on HRT is causing some of that... i am also extremely overweight...

good luck,
marlee

Hi Marlee!

Thank you for writing me back. To be honest, I am not scared anymore. I have gotten to this point because the pain I suffer is just old and too much. I think after many alternatives and advice, I think the surgery will give me quality of life.

I thought of having my ovaries out but I don't think I will cause I can't be on any HRT due to my clotting disorder. I have had DVT's before. I am wondering how having my ovaries will be after the surgery. Maybe my PMDD will decrease? I don't know. I know I felt the best in my life when I was pregnant. I don't know the extra hormones one has when pregnant. I will have to ask my doctor.

I think my cervix will go too. Now, if it stays is there more chance of cancer? I am just wondering to know how sex is different? I guess that I will see once I have the surgery. Again, I am to the point of not worrying about this because the pain I live with is just too much.

Maybe I will lose weight cause I will feel better to do some exercising.

Thank you for sharing your story with with me and best to you.

Jenn
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:58 PM

I would like to hear from more of you...if you can add anything to my questions.
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Hi Jenn,

I had a vaginal hysterectomy last December. I kept both ovaries, but they took the cervix out.

Before the hysterectomy I had PMDD. I was put on YAZ birth control to try to control that, along with the severe cramping and flooding I had every month. I never noticed any difference with the PMDD while I was on YAZ, nor did it control the cramping or heavy bleeding.

After the hysterectomy, I noticed a difference in my pre-menstrual symptoms right away. I still had a slight form of PMS (it could have just been my ovaries not being awake yet), but nothing like I had before the hysterectomy. 6 months later I have zero symptoms of the PMDD, and boy is my husband happy! I was a raving lunatic 10 days before my period, in severe pain for the first 2 days of my period, and bleeding to the point of anemia for 7 days. My husband suffered right along with me, just in a different way.

The cervix being out has not been an issue at all. Sex is actually better now, because I would feel pain every time my cervix was bumped before it was out. Orgasms felt different at first, but now they feel the same as they always have (for me anyway). Husband does not notice any difference. If you keep your cervix, you can experience mini periods, and yes, you can still get cervical cancer, so you would have to continue pap smears.

I don't know very much about having gastric bypass done along side a hysterectomy, but if it were me, I am not sure I would have 2 major operations like that done at the same time. It may be too much for your body to handle. But if your doctor's feel comfortable doing that, then I would say go for it. I lost weight right after the surgery, but it was because I got the flu right after I got home. I gained it back when I went back to school, but I haven't gained any "extra".

So that is my experience. Hope it helps!!
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles_1 View Post
Hi Jenn,

I had a vaginal hysterectomy last December. I kept both ovaries, but they took the cervix out.

Before the hysterectomy I had PMDD. I was put on YAZ birth control to try to control that, along with the severe cramping and flooding I had every month. I never noticed any difference with the PMDD while I was on YAZ, nor did it control the cramping or heavy bleeding.

After the hysterectomy, I noticed a difference in my pre-menstrual symptoms right away. I still had a slight form of PMS (it could have just been my ovaries not being awake yet), but nothing like I had before the hysterectomy. 6 months later I have zero symptoms of the PMDD, and boy is my husband happy! I was a raving lunatic 10 days before my period, in severe pain for the first 2 days of my period, and bleeding to the point of anemia for 7 days. My husband suffered right along with me, just in a different way.

The cervix being out has not been an issue at all. Sex is actually better now, because I would feel pain every time my cervix was bumped before it was out. Orgasms felt different at first, but now they feel the same as they always have (for me anyway). Husband does not notice any difference. If you keep your cervix, you can experience mini periods, and yes, you can still get cervical cancer, so you would have to continue pap smears.

I don't know very much about having gastric bypass done along side a hysterectomy, but if it were me, I am not sure I would have 2 major operations like that done at the same time. It may be too much for your body to handle. But if your doctor's feel comfortable doing that, then I would say go for it. I lost weight right after the surgery, but it was because I got the flu right after I got home. I gained it back when I went back to school, but I haven't gained any "extra".

So that is my experience. Hope it helps!!

Hi Giggles,

I am very happy othear of your story. I have a appt. with my doctor tomorrow afternoon and am kind of anxious (in a good way) to see what he has to say and when I can get the hysterectomy. I just had my period and the pain in my lower stomach was just horrible. The only thing that I am concerned about is what if he goes inside and needs to take the ovaries. I don't want my ovaries gone as I can't and won't take HRT, ever! I don't care what any doctor says. I won't risk my health in that way.

I do think I want my cervix gone as I don't want mini periods. I start to get terrible around 10-12 days before my period and 1-3 days afterwards. I am really looking forward to be pain free and I always think positive thoughts...

Thank you for sharing and will let you know how everything goes...

Jenn
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM

Oh sweetie. Our stories are just about the same except I had 2 children and the 2nd didn't have the c-section compliactions. I had my hyst 3 yrs ago and the dr took everything but my cervix. Now 3 yrs later I am scheduled in 2 weeks to have my cervix removed and the newest edition of endometrosis that grew because of the left cervix and being on HRT from the second I got out of surgery, removed! I thought after my hyst I was done with endometrisis and surgery but aparently I was wrong. I have learned that when dealing with endo. they need to take everything. If your overies are left, the endo will continue to grow.

Only thing that changes reguarding sex is you no longer have the excuse that you are on your period!

Good luck to you. Keep me posted!
Allyson

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register