I'm paranoid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-30-2002, 02:07 PM
I'm paranoid

You can't believe what a twit I am being. The Norwalk virus has closed our hosp. to all visitors and now I am scared to death that some one in my family will get it (social butterflies that they are) and spread it to me in time for my surgery. I am totally obsessed over this. I don't want to leave my bedroom and I don't want anybody to enter until they wash hands and anything else they can reach. How can I get over this rediculous feeling.

I have been waiting so long to be out of this pain I don't want anything to stand in my way. HELP!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2002, 02:24 PM
I'm paranoid

(((Karen))),

I don't think you are being a *twit* about not wanting to get sick before your surgery. That is certainly a concern. You wouldn't want to be cancelled & you also wouldn't want to be trying to fight off some kind of infection while recovering from surgery.

This is a particularly bad time of year for all of the bugs to be passed around. We all spend so much more time indoors with windows closed. It's difficult to avoid getting sick.

But, all you can do is take care of what you have control over. Keep your hands washed, avoid those you know are sick, maybe even avoid going to public places a bit. (Not totally! You don't want to be obsessive about it!!!)

Just try to keep busy preparing for the day. In all probability it will go as planned & things will be fine. I'll be praying for you!
Unread 12-30-2002, 02:45 PM
I know just how you feel!

My surgery is this Friday, and it seems that everyone I know either has a sore throat type virus/flu, or the dreaded puke flu! I got the sore throat right after xmas, and called Dr and got antibiotic, just in case. Because of all the sickness going around, I think my DH and DS and I will be staying in on New Years Eve. We have everything arranged for my surgery date, and I *really* don't want anything standing in the way at this point.

Keep well! Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2002, 02:52 PM
I'm paranoid

I'd probably do the same. Don't worry about it...I'm sure everyone will understand that you've waited too long and gone through too much to be stopped now. Don't try to get over it....just go with it. You're just protecting yourself.
Think positive thoughts and breathe deeply.
Unread 12-30-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm paranoid

I know what you mean, one of my friends took me to lunch on Saturday and a baby kept sneezing on back, I was so worried. Get to work on Monday and everyone is sneezing and coughing, I've told them they are going to have me wearing a mask to work!!! I am trying so hard to stay healthy for another week and half. Good luck ladies.

Kim
Unread 12-30-2002, 03:19 PM
To Karen

Hello Karen, I am a "kook" about germs too and getting ill before my TAH on Jan 6.. the only advice I can give is to take Vit C am and pm, drink lots of water, wash your hands often ( remember the shopping carts at the grocery store are crawling with germs, and all door handles and money, especially...the coins if you venture out!) Even using someones ink pen to sign a receipt! Can you tell I currently do cashier work? Hahaha... Lord knows who has just coughed or rubbed wet from their nose and touched a door handle or money... or anything! When our imagination gets this way we can cook up all kinds of nasty thoughts and sooooooooo close to the castle day! Hope all goes well for you honey, keep those hands clean and hold your breath near people in public...hahahah such humor, we need a good laugh, don't cha think? Luv from Raphia in MD,

almost a
Unread 12-30-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm paranoid

I'm a paraprofessional with 46 1st graders and I feel the same way you did!!!! I think I washed my skin till it came off! In addition to that I went to the dr 2 or 3 times before my surgery date and made sure I was ok for the operation. I had a real strong antibiotic and even on the day of my operation, I was congested as can be but they were still able to do the surgery because I wasn't running a fever which meant I didn't have an infection. I came through just fine. By no means are you being a "twit" you have every right to be worried! Good Luck!
Unread 12-30-2002, 08:46 PM
I'm paranoid

Now I don't feel so bad. I have banned anyone from the house that have any signs of germs. And I try to avoid the malls and my best friends house who is blocked with little germ ridden kids. She takes offense to it. The same one who had chicken pox raging there for a month but I can't take any chances. I am so worn down that it wouldn't take too much for me to catch something. When DH had Flu he got barred from bedroom. DD has someone staying over and first question before I agreed was is she brewing any signs of sickness. So no you are not paroind.
6 days to go now for me. Jan 6 can't come fast enough. The wait is the worst. My mind kept shooting off til this time next week and what I will be like plus it will be all over.

Good luck on staying Germ free

Denise
Unread 12-31-2002, 06:03 AM
I'm paranoid

Just a note of caution ~ be careful if you decide to take anything while you are pre op, even seemingly harmless "naturals". There is a list at the top of the page about what herbs to avoid. Here is the link: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...php?forumid=23

At the first sign of a sniffle or sore throat CALL YOUR DR. They can usually give you something. When you are less than a couple of weeks before surgery ASK what to take, don't self medicate. Your doctor absolutely needs to know whatever you may be taking. Echinacea, vitamins C and E, aspirin/ibuprofen, all of these can change the metabolism of many anesthetic agents, antibiotics, and pain medications. Please don't hide these from your doctor, for fear that your surgery will be postponed or canceled outright. It may not lead to cancellation at all, but rather to changes in your care.

Good handwashing is the single most effective way to protect yourself against viruses.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register