Hysterectomy......TO HAVE OR NOT TO HAVE............ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy......TO HAVE OR NOT TO HAVE............ Hysterectomy......TO HAVE OR NOT TO HAVE............

Unread 05-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Hysterectomy......TO HAVE OR NOT TO HAVE............

I'm a nubie to your site and to see that I am not ALONE in this is a blessing. Uterine fibroids were discovered in a routine pap and my gyn immediately made plans for a hysterectomy. I was not comfortable with the idea. After listening to the 5th gyn telling me why a h. was so appropiate, I found out about a procedure called myomectomy. At the time I felled like I had won the lotto. An ultrasound revealed 5 broids but the surgeon found 8 (the biggest one was the size of a melon). Only 6 were removed because 2 were so intertwined in the uterine wall that their removal was downright dangerous. I was told that those two might keep growing but I was willing to take my chances. This was 5 years ago. Yep, you guessed it, they've grown. My gyn says that my uterus is the size of a 20-week pregnancy. He's really worried because it/they can be felt right underneath my belly button and therefore can interfere with the function of other organs. I'll be going in for a ultrasound on June 2nd but he's already putting me in touch with a surgeon and wants me to do this in the next month or two. He also mentioned the fact that there might be cancer in the broids and so I should not waste any time. I am beside myself over this. I've heard tons of horror stories about hysterectomies. My gyn has monitored me for 5 years after my myomectomy and has always discouraged a hysterectomy if there was another way out. I've been doing some research and have read about something called a subtotal hysterectomy. They only take out the top part of the uterus and everything else stays. One does have to qualify for it though. I don't have any pain,severe bleeding or anemia. The size of my broids might be the clincher though. Has anyone ever heard of this procedure or had it done? I'd love to keep my cervix,ovaries,etc. I'm afraid of the post-op symptoms and not feeling like a woman. I feel like I'm ****ed if I do or ****ed if I don't. HELPPPPPPPPPPP! I don't want to loose it all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi GP,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

It's always amazing the horror stories you hear about this surgery from people who have never had it done, but whenever I talk to women who have had a hysterectomy, they all say it's the best thing they have ever done!

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy a year ago for fibroids (kept my ovaries), and I can tell you now that it was the best thing I could ever have done for myself. I feel like a new woman and have had no problems whatsoever.

The procedure you mentioned leaves the cervix, which is just the opening of the uterus. Many women have successfully had that surgery. There are pro's and con's to the procedure, the main point against it being both the possibility of mini-periods if you leave the cervix and one or both ovaries. Some of the lining of the uterus also lines the cervix, and this lining can respond each month to the hormones secreted by the ovaries. Usually this results in just some minor spotting, but in some cases the bleeding can be considerable and may necessitate further surgery to remove the cervix at a later date. Not all ladies who have a subtotal hysterectomy have these mini-periods, but there are some who do. The other consideration is the potential for cervical cancer. Plus, there is really no proof either way as to whether the cervix offers any support for the pelvic organs, since it is only the size of a button.

This would be something you would really need to discuss with your doctor.

If you haven't already, check out the Hints-Articles section on the main homepage. There's a lot of good information there that can help you in your decision. And feel free to post any questions or concerns you may have. We're here for you whenever you need us.

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:25 PM

Hi, I'm new and this is my first post! I just love all the info and closeness of the sisters. I had my Hysterectomy on 5/21/03. My GYN removed only the uterus abdominally. I have been fighting with a fibroid inside the muscle of the uterus for almost 2 yrs. now. I tried natural progesterone creme which helped with the break through bleeding, about 4 months ago the tumor started growing and doubled in size. I had a 6cm tumor 2 yrs ago, my stomach which is normally flat looked like I had a grapefruit poking up out of it. That's what really alarmed me besides the abdominal and back pain. Then when my left leg started catching and almost giving out on me I decided I had enough of this tumor. I made my decision to keep my ovaries and cervix because I'm 43 and have not went through menopause. My mother died at the age of 51 after fighting with breast cancer from the age of 37. HRT would double my chances of breast cancer so I told my GYN to leave the ovaries for hormones. I left the cervix for bladder support, and also it helps keep a healthy environment for the vagina (less yeast infections, and dryness) The tumor weighed 2 1/2 lbs. Wow, I couldn't believe I had put up with this for so long. My GYN was super through all of this. He's very conservative and prefers to try everything else before he considers surgery. So far I feel great! It has been 9 days since my surgery and I only have soreness in the incision area.
Thanks for listening! Teena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2003, 03:50 PM

Hi Sedroul,

Shashi has given you some great information on a sub-total hysterectomy (supracervical hyst). Whether or not you are able to have this type of hyst will depend on where your fibroids are located and if there is any possibility of cancer. Fibroids seldom are cancerous, but if your gyn is suspicious then I'm sure he will be very vigilant with your treatment.

If the ultrasound raises more concerns about cancer, I hope that you will consider seeing a gyn oncologist. They truly are the experts and are especially skilled surgeons when it comes to reproductive cancers. Be sure to check out our Cancer Concerns forum here at Hystersisters if it looks like you may have cancer ... the gals there are wonderful and will be great at helping you prepare for treatment.

Sending gentle hugs your way. Please let us know what you find out after the ultrasound on Monday.

Beth

p.s. - Teena - It's great to hear that you are doing well so far. Please continue to be a good princess and let your family pamper you for awhile!
Unread 06-05-2003, 07:43 PM

I am also considering a partial hyst to keep my cervix and possibly one ovary (I have endo and it depends on how bad the ovaries are but I want to keep at least one). The only reason for the hyst is not for endometriosis but for adenomyosis (where the endometrium lining grows into your uterus) and this has cause me to bleed every day for a year. There is no cure for adenomysis except to remove the uterus.

I have been on BCP for a year and that has made my endo period cramps disappear. Anyways I want to keep an ovary and my cervix and if I get spotting like my period who cares. I have put up with having my period, severe periods, that a little spotty or some days of blood during a monthly cycle is fine with me, it is better than bleeding every day. I am not getting a hyst so I don't get my period anymore, I am getting it because medically I have to remove my uterus. I am sure women are not lined up for a hyst surgery just so they don't have to have their period anymore?

Of course, I am still reading as much info as possible.
Good Luck and God Bless.
Unread 06-07-2003, 11:51 AM
hello

i am having a tah on june 18th 2003 and i have asked all the questions you asked and my doc sais that the cervix is not at all supporting for otherorgans and it should come out so chance of cervical cancer in the future , i am keeping my ovaries and i am scared too death , but i only wantt toodo this ounce and i had a myomectomy schedueled but i justcancelled it cause i want too get it done and over with
Unread 06-08-2003, 06:04 AM

Hi Jessie,

Just to give you a little more information about the cervix and whether or not to keep it, here is a link to our Resources forum where you'll find a few links to websites that discuss this. I hope this additional information will help you.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=93985

Beth
Unread 06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Keepin' My Cervix

Hi, everyone. I am always overwhelmed by the support found on this board. I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about the cervix issue.

After years of recommending HRT, based upon scientific research and its findings, all of a sudden, it is not recommended anymore for many of the women who had been taking it. Even LESS research has been done into the issue of the cervix and its role in sexual response and I'm not sure about whether as little is known about its support function in the pelvic floor. If there are differences in opinion about this by medical professionals, it seems more research needs to be done or more prejudices need to be released by medical professionals. So if it is just as possible that the cervix will still help my sexual response and if it is just as possible that my pelvic floor could use the additional support as not, then in the absence of overwhelming agreed-upon evidence to the contrary, I prefer to take the conservative approach.

I have decided to keep my cervix for similar reasons as someone above - I am removing my uterus because it has a large fibroid growth, which has nothing to do with my cervix. I have had problems with my cervix (cryo'd for HPV years ago, no sign of it now) but if I were not having this operaiton, no one would be telling me to remove my cervix because it MIGHT cause problems in the future. I am assuming they would only do so if an existing problem were to point to a surgical solution.

No, I do not relish the thought of further surgery some other time but until I have to, I don't want to remove it. If my fibroid were not in the wall of my uterus and at 5 months size, I would be insisting on a myomectomy even at my advanced age of 48.

That being said, I may reverse my decision at my last pre-op appointment Monday! (for those of astrological bent, I am a Pisces with Gemini rising- indecisive as all get-out).

Sorry so long,
Gemma
Unread 06-13-2003, 09:14 PM
cervix debate

i am glad you wrote too me , i have also hd a hard time with this decishion on hysterectomy i recently decided too go with the uterine artery embolization i have heard a lot of good things about it and it is much easier than hyst. or myomec. and you get too keep all your body parts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register