smokers? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-19-2000, 10:59 PM
EX- SMOKER LADY IN WAITING

HI LADIES AND PRINCESSES,
just to encourage those of you who wish to quit, I have been a non-smoker for 2months,1week,6days...
Quitting was very easy for me, my doctor (the same one that will be doing my hysterectomy) gave me zyban and it worked great.
Good luck
Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2000, 11:26 PM
dear smoke sisters,

I remember a couple of months ago asking that very same question. I mean, the doctor had just said the S word and here I was thinking surgery and smoking? NO way...

I was also very nervous and started to smoke even more. I made sure that I told my anestesialogist that I smoked so he would make sure to keep that in mind.

I did not smoke the morning of my surgery, don't ask me why, because I really could have eaten the darn things.

The afternoon of surgery and the day after I was on the pcp pump and slept most of the time. I went in on Thursday and came out on Sunday. I did not even think of smoking the whole time I was in the hospital.

Of course, as soon as I got home, I did smoke, although not as many. By the second week, I was back to normal..sigh.

As far as the breathing treatment in the hosptial, I did not find it to be uncomfortable. I had it two or three times. Afterwards, I would cough once or twice, that was it. Not a deep cough, but a very, very shallow cough. More like a good clearing of the throat.

I had no side effects from smoking, which I guess were my main worries.

Best of luck to you ladies, I am 4 weeks post op and am feeling very good. Went to Wal-Mart today and Christmas shopped while hubby got the groceries.

Unread 11-20-2000, 01:49 AM
smokers?

Flora
thank you, thank you, thank you, for asking that question, thats another thing that i've been stressing out over, i've been a smoker for a very long time, 11 years, o.k. it doesn't sound like that long but then again i'm only 24. i have 2 kids, i stopped smoking with each pregnancy and even though child birth is such a big and exciting evet, believe me i was still outside 2 hours later puffing away. i couldn't believe myself, i stopped for 9 months and boom i'm back on the wagon, i just couldn't wait for that first inhale, you know what i'm talking about. what concerns me is the fact that the big hyst is so much more stressful then birth, atleast it was for me. i don't think that i will be one of those people who just puts it down. you know out of sight out of mind. i'm afraid that i'll go crazy just nikkin. will the staff let me go out for a smoke, as soon as i can walk? and yes like the rest of you, as soon as i found out about the trip to the castle, i've been smokin like a train. this may sound crazy but i take alot of vicoden for pain, and whenever i take these pills after about 20 min. ciggs. just taste so good that i can't stop lighting up until i go to bed, even then i get up in the middle of the night just to puff. god i'm so ashamed of myself. does anyone else get the same feeling from pain pills or am i just crazy? thanks for listening, the best of luck to all the other trains out there lol.
nocluegirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2000, 07:14 AM
NOCLUEGIRL!

Hello Sisters,

This is a great post. I'm 16 days post-op, and smoking was a concern. I had no problems. I got my DH to wheel me down for one on my second night (didn't want to be out there in daylight!)

Nocluegirl...you are the first person I've heard (besides myself) mention the pain meds and the smoking. I get the same thing. I just want to smoke once they've kicked in. Very strange!!

I wish all of you the best. The waiting is really the hardest part. I've had a pretty uneventful recovery. Keeping myself down is tough, but I know in the long run it will be worth it.

Hugs....
Unread 11-20-2000, 07:37 AM
Hello

I used to be a smoker, i quit on Oct 26th its been almost two months since i smoked. I'm truly glad i quit. But trust me it has'nt been easy there are days that i would love to light one up! But I know its better for my kids and i and hubby that we don't smoke. You really have to want to quit other wise it won't work
What made me quit is that i got reall sick with bronchitis I coughed so much it was redicuolus so that was it no more i did wear the patch for about a week but gave those up too to exspensive so 2 months later still not smoking and feel great as far as that goes
If any of you ladies would like to chat please e-mail me at luckylady379@aol.com. If i can sit here and wait without a butt just about anyone can, I never thought I could quit.But i did!
Unread 11-20-2000, 08:31 AM
smokers?

Hi Flora,
Yet another thing we have in common, smoking landscapers who had to stop to pee all the time! I too am concerned about the smoking issue as I saw it listed as a factor for risks involved with surgery, not too mention the other health drawbacks. Well, I am so stressed that I have been smoking more as well except for those days when I struggle to limit it to only 2 or 3 which I did yesterday and so far none today. I read about doing deep abdominal breathing techniques for stress and for those who are quitting. They help. I'm not worried about not having one while in the hospital. I figure that will be the last thing on my mind and maybe give me a jump on quitting. I read though that others went with the patch to the hospital to relieve cravings. I'm hoping I can really just cut back beforehand to clear my lungs a little. Apart from being incapacitated, it's the anesthesia I fear the most.
Hang in during the waiting-I keep telling myself that too!
Maggie
Unread 11-20-2000, 09:59 AM
smokers?

Flora - My instructions before going to hospital for 8:00 AM surgery was NO liquids and NO cigarettes after midnight. I had tah/bso 3/22 - general anest. and didn't have any problems associated with smoking. Keep your tummy pillow close just in case you need to cough.
Unread 11-20-2000, 10:19 AM
Another Socially Unacceptable Smoker

My pre-op instructions said not to smoke after midnight. Well, I was chain smoking on the way to the hospital and actually smoked my last cigarette in the car with my hubby and adult son, while I cried, about 2 minutes before I was supposed to check in.

I was immediately doped up in the waiting area so no problem there. That afternoon and night were a total nightmare and I was out of it, for the most part. After being set free from the cath and packing, still no problem, although I think I could have gone pee sooner if I could have sat on the john with a smoke.

By Friday night, I was beginning to get the urge. My husband finally told me I had to make a decision, since all the doors, except Emergency, were locked at 8:30. The nurses were kind enough to get us a wheelchair since they wouldn't let me walk that far. I finally went out for my first cigarette at 8 pm.

Come Saturday morning, I wanted one BAD. People kept stealing our wheelchair so my hubby finally went down to Emergency, took one and we kept it in our room. Actually, the nurses said they were grateful my husband was taking me outside since they had several other patients they were having to wheel outside.

I now wish I'd never had that first one after surgery. I'm back with a vengence. But I had no problems with coughing. Just keep your tummy pillow close.
Unread 11-20-2000, 12:37 PM
DH and I both smoke

I was concerned about smoking too! Figured I would quit after surgery (12/6), I too am smoking bad. I figure if I can get threw the surgery without one I will be ok. But only God knows my fate..
My late Grandmother's name was Flora. You don't hear that name often. She was my best friend and I miss her dearly.
Hope all ends well with you Ladies
Unread 11-20-2000, 01:18 PM
smokers?

Just one more note from a smoker. I had TAH on 10/12 and really didn't think anything about quiting or not being able to smoke in the hospital (I guess I assumed there was someplace I would be able to). The 1st 2 days after surgery, didn't even think about it (and I am a true smoker). The 3rd day - after my 1st shower (which was awesome!) I really wanted one. Asked the nurse, but she said there was nowhere I could go. Oh well, home on the 4th day, lit one up and caught a major buzz. Contemplated (for about 2 minutes) quitting since I had gone so long, but alas... that did not happen. Back to my normal pace. God forbid I should have another surgery - but if I do, I may want to try to psyche myself up for quitting after. Coughing not too bad. As the other sisters mention, have a pillow or stuffed animal handy to hold onto your tummy. All my best to you!!

Diane
TAH 10/12/00.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register