I dont want a abdominal cut!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I dont want a abdominal cut!! I dont want a abdominal cut!!

Unread 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I dont want a abdominal cut!!

Hi there ladies
Im feeling nervous to say the least about my upcoming hysterectomy. I had a laperoscopy and D & C last week. Have been bleeding since. I have tried to get answers as to why this is happening to me and why the IUD (merina) fell out the second day after surgery.
Finally I talked to the doctor at hospital and she said that my uterus is very enlarged (size of 16 week pregnancy) and my lining is 1 inch thick. I had so many fibroids in my womb that they only removed about 30% and hoped for the best. I am now scheduled in for a hyterectmy which I had requested previously but they had talked me into trying the merina IUD first. So I did.
Anyway there is now no way I can have my uterus removed viginally and have to go through the stomach. I am overweight and feel scared. I am now trying to get fit lose extra kilos before the surgery, I am on tablets to shrink the uterus and fibroids to minimize the chance of a bloodtransfusion.
This is going to take about 6 weeks to do. even then its not going to make a difference with the incession.
I am scared. but I know there is no way out because Im still bleeding while I am taking primulut, and two other drugs to shrink and try and stop this bleeding untill they can do the hysterectomy. I feel this site is great and would love any advice on dealing with the pre op jitters. "I want a viginal hysterectomy"!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM

sweetie I feel for you. the only thing I can say to you is that I know you want the vaginal but your DR. will do what he/she thinks is best for you. From what I have read the vaginal hyst is not the bestway to go due to limited sight on what is taken out. research it first and consult with DR. If you decide to do abdominal talk about bikini cut that way the scar is hidden a little(if that is what you are concerned with). Good luck with whatever you decide...I hope everything works out for you...Get better soon
Unread 04-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Hi! I'm sorry that you are having the jitters! I was hoping for a vaginal but had a horizontal abdominal cut right at the hairline. I have to say the recovery is longer but I am impressed at how good my scar looks! My Dr. did dissolvable stitches for me to try to cut back on my bill as I don't have insurance - and that might be what helped it. So you may ask if they would do that for you if vanity is your reasoning. Also, I have read that vaginal's do come with their own set of probs like sore hips and stuff. So hang in there - it will be a small price to pay to get rid of the bleeding, and pain if you are having it. 16 weeks is a lot! And its not as bad as it sounds, it really isn't. Take care and I hope you feel better soon! Hugs!
M.
TAH 04/04/06 adeno in cervix, cervix and uterus removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2006, 08:04 PM

Look in your area for a skilled surgeon who specializes in laparascopic hysts. I went to this region's expert and he still couldn't do mine laparascopically, but my uterus was more like 24 week size. Ended up being almost 5 pounds and 18cm x 16 cm x 15cm!! So he made a cut across my abdomen but down very low. I don't think the scar will bother me, but of course recovery is longer.

Anyway, if it could have been done with the tiny cuts, my surgeon would have done it - he's aces in that area, but not all people are trained or experts in that kind of operation.

Good luck!
k.
Unread 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM

I had to have an abdominal incision because my uterus and fibroids were too large to remove vaginally. Get a second opinion by all means, but eventually you will have to go with recommendation of a doctor that you trust. My recovery was without complications, and my scar is beginning to fade. You will be able to do what's necessary when the time comes.
Unread 04-11-2006, 08:39 PM

Hi widdle44!

I had an total abdominal hysterectomy three years ago and recovered without incident. In fact, I can't even see my surgical scar anymore! The important thing about a hysterectomy is that it results in the solution to your problem...the type of surgery is not significant in the long run.

Let me tell you a story: At my six-week post-op appointment with my gynecologist, I happened to encounter my hospital roommate...she had a TVH the same morning I had my TAH. (As it turned out, we coincidentally scheduled our follow-up appointment with the gyn the same afternoon.) Anyway, because she had a vaginal hyst, I thought she would be so much further in her recovery than me. But, she told me that she was still achey and sore, too!

Best Wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Many s to you,
Unread 04-12-2006, 04:57 AM
abdominal hysterectomy

Thank you ladies for your quick response to my letter. My sister had a hysterectomy years ago and she said the pain is just unbearable, she said you have to go through it Anne it will be worth it. It burns inside the stiches and she said it was a slow recovery. I know I am not her and I could have it different scenario coulndt I?
I am not worried about the scar at all as I have a flab that hangs over the bikini line...unfortunately been there ever since the three darlings..
However If they are going to cut me anyway couldnt they at least cut the flab hanging down at the same time? I would like to see in a crystal ball and see if they will do the right thing and not hurt other organs (as they say could possibly happen with any kind of major surgery.) How often does that actually happen? I am comforted to know that I am not alone. I have to have this Operation or basically bleed for the rest of my life and have a womb hanging down in the underwear.
not nice.
Take care and thank you
Unread 04-12-2006, 06:40 AM

Hi Widdle,

I'm 54, just entering my 6th week post-op and also wanted a vaginal hysterectomy ... but now I'm glad I didn't go that route.

I had a bikini cut (8" incision) and it's doing fine. If anybody hated that cut it was me ... not for the vanity thing, but it just gave me the creepies. LOL ...

But I have to say, I'm healing well .. the incision is healing really fast, and that's not really sore anymore, it's the skin and tissue above and below it. But then again ... those who have had the vaginal surgery also have this ... so it's not that much different.

Another thing I've noticed is that many women here complain about pain in the 'vaginal cuff' and since I didn't have that, I don't have any of that pain. I also think I felt safer that he opened me up and was able to see clearly and have things go faster and smoother that way.

My sister had a laproscopic surgery and they had a heck of a time getting things out ... she bled allot and had allot of pain and trouble, so I guess I'm actually now GLAD he went this way.

HTH

Hugs,
Dee
Unread 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM

Hello!

I am now a year post op -- went in thinking an LSH and because of the size of the tumor (and it was just one monster of a tumor) ended up with a horizontal bikini cut (SAH). It upset me at first and the recovery time was about 4x longer - BUT a year later and I feel great actually the great feeling started about 6 weeks after surgery. I was in the gym doing light workouts at 3 weeks (lots of cardio and balance and bonsu work which help the core abdominals) and could drive at 2 weeks. Looking back - it's not how it was done - it got done and solved the problem I had.

I remember being terrified - in fact I was ready to cancel right in the pre-surgery area until a nurse told me that if I cancelled, I would have to take the problem home with me. I was ready to be rid of my soccer ball!
Unread 04-12-2006, 07:17 PM

My doc told me that a TVH is the same as a TAH in the fact that both are surgeries and that doing a TVH is just changing the route used to get to the uterus. He cautioned that with TVH you can't see the cut and so you don't baby yourself like you should and you over do it.
My sister had a TAH/BSO and she told me she didn't find it unbearable. The biggest thing for her was taking it easy--she wanted to get right back into life--and after tackling some stairs, she paid for it. I am hoping to have a TVH. I have a 12 week size uterus that is full of adenomyosis and the doc told me its growing bigger with each passing month. I don't want to wait and watch problems develop (my sister had the same thing and went years with progressive symptoms until a biopsy revealed pre-cancerous cells)--so I have agreed to part ways with this unruly organ.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register