DaVincci... What have I done??? LONG & Whiny! (UPDATE) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DaVincci... What have I done??? LONG & Whiny! (UPDATE) DaVincci... What have I done??? LONG & Whiny! (UPDATE)

Unread 11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Re: DaVincci... What have I done??? LONG & Whiny! :( Sorry!

ajgtampa -

You are not alone at all. Recovery is definitely a "your mileage may differ experience" since our bodies are different and our surgeries are different.

Most hospitals will get you up and walking within 24 hours as a combatant to blood clots. However if you are experiencing that much pain and they can't get it under control they may forego that.

You will need to walk a bit a few minutes every couple of hours so that you can get things moving (gas and bowels).

This isn't necessarily the result of the method of operation it is a result of the operation and your bodies reaction to it. You could have had this type of reaction if you had an abdominal procedure.

Although easier said than done. Hang tight!

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2010, 09:16 AM

My surgery was on Oct. 25th, and I too did not feel well enough to go home. I stayed almost 2-days. In recovery the IV drip was leaking and I had horried pain. Actually requested another nurse for telling me not to wiggle! Geez felt like a Jack Hammer to the stomach, and not my fault no pain meds yet. The pain was bad. barely could get out of bed. I just had the Uterus removed. The nurses were useless until the afternoon one finally gave me ibroprofen with pain meds. For the inflamation when the other nurses would not listen. I was not one of those who was up walking around. The gas, from this and the cramping for the first 3- weeks made me feel like I better run to the bathroom From bowel issues. I started to feel better within the past week or so. Hang in there, Also I do not know what was worse the pain or the emotional rollercoaster, from this. I wish you the best.
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Both things are totally normal. I had my da vinci on June 30th and had severe gas pains for two days to help get the pain under control and rule out anything else it might could of been (it wasn't anything else thank god). After two days it was so much better so i imagine it will be better soon. Try and walk as much as possible, it will help with the gas, and drink ginger tea, that what they gave me in the hospital and it really did help. Hope you all feel better soon. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Dear AGJ Tampa:

Hang in there! It will get better, I promise! That pain is so long ago now. I haven't forgotten it but I swear it was worth it! Take heart.

Sincerely, Pam
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks Sisters! I am still in quite a bit of pain. I'm not eating much, but I am using Gas Ex & it seems to be working. The Colace is NOT working. I had one pretty good day. Hung with the kids, helped with homework, ect... Next thing you know I am knocked on my butt with pain. My hubby has been waking me up to give me my meds. I missed one dose once and tought that I would lose it is. I feel like someone has taken a bat to my abdomen and there is a ton of pressure & some burning in my vagina. This sucks I am one week out and feeling super crappy. I am crying all over the place and don't even want to talk to anyone. All I do is complain & I don't have the energy to help with their stuff. So, I feel like a selfish jerk! Aaaack! I can't stand to be alone with myself Davinci Took Uterus, Cervix, Removed Endo & Kept Ovaries
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgtampa2 View Post
Thanks Sisters! I am still in quite a bit of pain. I'm not eating much, but I am using Gas Ex & it seems to be working. The Colace is NOT working. I had one pretty good day. Hung with the kids, helped with homework, ect... Next thing you know I am knocked on my butt with pain. My hubby has been waking me up to give me my meds. I missed one dose once and tought that I would lose it is. I feel like someone has taken a bat to my abdomen and there is a ton of pressure & some burning in my vagina. This sucks I am one week out and feeling super crappy. I am crying all over the place and don't even want to talk to anyone. All I do is complain & I don't have the energy to help with their stuff. So, I feel like a selfish jerk! Aaaack! I can't stand to be alone with myself Davinci Took Uterus, Cervix, Removed Endo & Kept Ovaries
OH AJ I'm so sorry dear! I had a TAH and they took the same stuff outta me and left the same stuff in me like you.

The first week was awfully hard. Don't feel like a whiner, please let it out! My gosh you just went though the motherload of surgeries, and trust me, it will get better with time, and I know how slow that time passes.

I missed one demerol during the night and I was a pain basket case the next morning, and yes...I cried. This pain is not for everyone, it takes a lot of courage to manage it until the medicine kicks in. And you learn right fast not to miss any more meds. By the second week you should be doing a lot better.

What happened for me that was a shocker...was I had been in pain quite a bit. Mind you..I can't have codiene, morphene, any of the big narcotics. I am allergic!

So..I have to have sissy pain pills, that don't really help as much as it should. Then....almost like magic...as I was doing what felt like awful...one morning I woke up, and did not need anymore demerol. It was a full 180 turn from bad to suddenly, "Oh..hey, now that's a LOT better..." it surprised all of us. My mom was getting ready to extend her 3 week visit b/c it appeared I was never gonna get off the heavy pain meds, but like I said, one magic morning everything turned around.

And...I have absolutely no answer as to why. It was a hump I had to get over, and my body decided when and where it would hurdle that hump.

I'm pretty sure you'll understand exactly what I'm saying, if it hasn't happened yet, you will see.

Hang in there, and if it helps, have your husband or family member really massage the soles of your feet. We practice reflexology, and there are certain nerves in your feet, above the arch, that taps the energy directly to your surgical locations. The blood flow and release of energy did wonders.

I recommend a slow and 30 minute foot massage....and let me know how you feel after that!
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Maidyn, THANK YOU! And thanks to the other sisters with their thoughts as well. I have been walking the house so much, it's making Petey "the dog" dizzy! I am trying to do everything right, but still no relief. My husband is panicked because I only have 4 pain meds left and my next appt isn't until next Tues. I called and left message with nurse asking for maybe a different med, one still strong but that would make me feel less "fuzzy". We'll see. Family has been awesome to me, THANK GOD!!! I can't believe how supportive my hubby has been and even the kids have gotten in on the act. Not "too" much arguing (big one), house hasn't burned down or looks like CPS would take the kids if called in. I just asked my hubby last night, after my shower, to rub my feet w/ lotion. It was heaven!! Now both kids want to help mommy by "doing" her feet. It is a nice touch, I must add. I just need to get over this HUMP so I can ease back into doing what needs to be done around here. AAAAGGGGHHH!!! I'm trying to "stay positive", "look on the brightside", "know it's almost over," and my favorite "just give myself time." Anymore time feeling like this & I may start throttling someone... LOL I feel like once I have the pain controled somewhat, I will be feeling more like myself. At least I hope so! I am SO HAPPY to hear that your progress has advanced so much. It gives me something to look forward to. Thanks again all my sisters, because without you I would be lost in this sea of pain, confusion and misery! I love you all!
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Does your pain still seem related to gas/bowel pains?? (as I said previously, this for me was the worst part for me...and until my bowels started working again...(ie: passing gas easily and having BM's) the pain was tremendous....like the pressure from gas pushed against all the internal surgical sites/incisions. If you think this is the case, and Colace isn't helping, please call your doc for instruction on another bowel type med that could help for you. (i eventually ended up using Milk of Magnesia and a suppository...and once things got moving, I went down to Milk of Magnesia once a day, Colace with each meal, and after that, weaned of MOM, and now just Colace with each meal...with occasional need for MOM). For me I absolutely HAD to get that moving to control my pain. But like I said, be sure and call your doc about it, since that would be the wise thing to do before just trying it....

Hang in there...I feel your pain, and hope you get some really good relief soon.
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:35 AM

AJ - what you are feeling is normal! I had a SAH on October 27th and I was in the hospital for 4 days. I was comparing myself to everyone else as far as the recovery went, until I realized that everyone heals in their own way and everyone will have their own story to tell. I started to compare myself to how I had done and felt the day or week before and that helped. There will be good days and not so good days but it's all part of the healing process.

I'm glad to read that you are walking! I've been told by several doctors that walking is good and it will help you heal well.

I was on the heavy-duty pain meds (Percocet and oxycodone for breakthrough pain) for the first two and a half weeks, then I started to wean myself off of those. I'm still on extra strength Tylenol but I'm finding I have to take less and less. At first it felt like I'd never not have the pain or have to take the pain meds, but it did get better. It will for you too! Just hang in there.
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Hang in there!
I am 6 months out today!! If my dog had not broken my foot, I would be doing so many things I could not do before. But the first few weeks were really rough. I felt great at the hospital, felt great at first, but I was really easily tired, and at first I was very discouraged. I went back to work at 8 weeks, and I was really hurting the first 2 weeks. But then it got easier and easier until I realized one day that I didn't even hurt anymore. I was able to go for a 2 mile walk with my dogs and came home and sat down and was so happy to have my life back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register