Lavh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Lavh

What can you all tell me what to expect getting a LAVH? I have heard from a couple people already.
I need info please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Lavh

I had a LAVH/BSO for fibroids on January 12, went back to work after two weeks, and feel terrific, except for being a little tired at the end of the day.

I spent one night in the hospital, used the morphine pump maybe a half a dozen times, and haven't taken anything for pain after that except a few Advil or Tylenol right at first. I had three small incisions that are almost healed, and except for a slightly swollen abdomen, I would hardly know I'd had anything done.

I know that not everyone gets through it as easily as I did, but for me, the waiting was truly the hardest part. I hadn't had any symptoms until a couple of months ago, so having to have surgery was a real surprise. It wasn't an emergency by any means, but I wanted to get it done as soon as possible on the chance that the fibroids would grow too big for me to have LAVH. As I understand it, I was borderline anyway because of the size of my uterus, but it all worked out okay.

My only problem was that I got somewhat nauseated in the hospital, probably due to the morphine, but they got that under control, and I haven't had any problems since.
Unread 01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Lavh

I had my lavh on 1/12 for enlarged uterus and fibroids. Luckily I was able to keep my ovaries. I almost chickened out but now that it's over I Have No Regrets at all. The only pain I ever felt was in recovery when I first woke up. Morphine did not help much so they switched to Demerol. When I got to my room I was ready to walk around. That wasn't a good idea because I got very nauseated and almost passed out. I was able to go home the next day and I have not had any pain at all. I did get a little sore but that was it. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2004, 03:38 AM
Lavh

Thanks Willac and Kacy! I am having that same procedure and it really helps to hear the experience of those having the same procedure. Willac, your experience sounds similar to mine. The need for surgery came right out of left field for me! It's good to know I'm not the only one! It seems most women have been dealing with issues for years and sort of saw this on the horizon for awhile.

I just don't want to fool around. I want to get it taken care of so I can move on.
Unread 01-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Lavh

Debby,

I had a LAVH/BSO as an outpatient. The surgery was at 7:00am and I was home by 5:00pm. For pain management the doctor told hubby to make sure I had a hydrocondone (sp?) every 4 hours for the first 24 hours whether I thought I needed it or not.

My disability insurance approved for me to be off 4 weeks - which I took. I could have gone back after 2 but I'd just been dragging through the day. I'd had 2 laps prior to the hyst and went back after 2 weeks and it was rough.

Now, at 9 weeks out, I'm doing okay. I've been healing slower than normal and just quit bleeding this week. I still have some swelly belly in the afternoons and a few twinges here and there but doing good for the most part.

I think I'm healing slower than normal because I waited so long to have the surgery and let myself get wore down. I've had endo for years but in Feb 2003 I started bleeding and didn't quit. Due to my hubby having surgery I ended up waiting until Dec 2003 to have the hyst.
Unread 01-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Lavh

LAVH/BSO this past Monday morning, was home about 7:30 Tuesday evening. Only issues in hospital, my catather tubing twisted twice, not allowing bladder to empty. The nurses just had to unkink tubing and it released all that pressure. Have been doing nothing this week so far, resting, resting, resting.

Got three same incisions from the laproscopy and internal stitches. DH cleans and redresses the external incisions after daily shower. Removing the packing in the hospital was uncomfortable and felt really odd. I was beginning to wonder if they tore up a bedsheet and stuffed in there. Not painful, but definitely something I don't care to repeat.

Unread 01-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Lavh

Packing?? Oh God! No one told me about packing. What is that?
Unread 01-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Lavh

They just pack your vagina with dressing to absorb blood/discharge/etc. It's necessary since they are going in that way. Mine was in less than 24hrs. I had a little pressure on my back, which the nurses said that where that would be. Wasn't painful, just different. I handled the packing better than the catather.
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:20 AM
Lavh

My need for surgery was somewhat out of the blue. I suspected I had fibroids again. I had surgery for them 8 years ago. So, I kind of knew, but allowed myself to be in denial. My surbery, hopefully LAVH is on 2-18. We wont know for sure which way the surgery will be until that day. Depends on whether or not the fibroids and my uterus have shrunk enough (with the help of lupron). The packing sounds absolutely horrible. I hope if I go that way that it is not too bad. Good luck to all of you.

jshots
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:37 AM
Lavh

Well, the fun just never ends, does it?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register