Gas-x | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Gas-x

I saw a suggestion to begin taking gas-x before surgery. How soon before surgery should I begin? Morning of? Night before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Gas-x

Hi Diamond1!

It always concerns me when patients decide to take over-the-counter medications shortly before surgery, without checking first with their medical provider. While members here share their personal experiences regarding prescription and non-prescription remedies for gas, I think it would be a good idea to check with your doctor about taking Gas-X just to be sure it's okay for you.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

s,
Unread 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Gas-x

I made the mistake of taking Gas-X when I got home without clearing with my doctor, thinking it would help... but it didn't work with the stool softener they perscribed, so I had some hard times... once I stopped all the meds, I began to feel better, with doctor's permission. My advice is wait until you *know* you need it, then clear it with doctor first. I have used it after the first ten days, after my first two BM's... but I knew I needed it then, and it does help, but I don't like seeing people just start it because they read about it here... (not saying you are!) ... because it doesn't always have good results. Sometimes you just need to cope with the gas pains to get it all moving! Just my little input Best wishes on your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Gas-x

I didn't take anything for Gas, I guess I am very lucky not to experience that. I did get prescribed stool softeners and pain meds. I had a friend that gave me some anti Gas just before surgery, but I didnt take them, I was too scared to take something my doctor didn't prescribe to me.

Best Wishes to you,
Unread 11-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Gas-x

I am going to copy my Gas X story here for you. I HIGHLY recommend it - following surgery, not before, that won't help. Maybe some don't have a problem with it, but from what I have seen, most do and you simply won't believe the pain it can cause. For me the cure was simple - Gas X!!! Please read...

Take Gas X with you and take it when the gas sets in! At my pre op I asked my Dr. if it was ok because I heard the gas was a big probem. He said "yes, that's a good idea just be sure and let the nurses know." Well, when I got to the hospital I told the nurse and she said she didn't recommend it because they want you to pass the gas before you go home. Well, on the third day they pulled my epidural (which had been heaven!) and the gas set in. I have never known pain like that. I could hardly breathe. It was like little gremlins running up and down my freshly cut abdomin. My kids could even see it. NOTHING helped. I took Milk of Magnesia, they gave me two suppositories, I drank tons of water, I walked a marathon. It would not pass. Finally my husband walked me up up to the nurses desk. I said, "I have Gas X and I am going to take it!" She was like, sure, whatever. Within 30 minutes the pain lessened to a reasonable level. I took it again (2 extra strenth capsules) the next morning. The hideous pain went away and has never been back. I never took another pain pill - not even Tylenol. As a matter of fact, I was finally able to pass some gas AFTER taking the Gas X. I guess it was so backed up before that it wasn't going anywhere. Other than the gas, it wasn't a bad experience.
Unread 11-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Gas-x

I also had heard about the gas pains after a hyster, but didn't know what it would feel like until I got home. Oh, my, so that's what gas feels like! Actually had my mom take a special trip to the store to get me some gas-x. I took it when I needed it for the gas pain, but that was about it. I didn't BM until six days after surgery, so I was waiting until things started moving down there before taking any other pills.

Personally, I was so sore and almost numb in that entire lower abdominal area, front to back, that I couldn't, shall we say, squeeze or manipulate the proper muscles to pass gas or BM normally. Milk of Magnesia helped me go, but it was about a week or two after the surgery that I was able to go normally.
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Gas-x

Diamond1,

Please don't take ANYTHING before your surgery without getting approval from your Dr - even if you think it is no big issue. As for taking it to the hospital with you - my hospital confiscated all my meds I brought with me (even those necessary for asthma) and issued me some from their pharmacy and they admistered them to me. At first I thought this was just so they could make more money, but then it was explained to me that they have quality control issues. They even confiscated my lip balm because I was on oxygen after my surgery and the mix can cause an explosion.

If you need something for gas in the Castle, they have something they will give you. You are paying your Dr and the hospital staff big money to take care of you. They cannot always explain their reasons for their decisions. It is usually not wise to go against their orders.

s,
Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register