I'm overwhelmed...how do you cope? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm overwhelmed...how do you cope? I'm overwhelmed...how do you cope?

Unread 12-18-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm overwhelmed...how do you cope?

The basics is that I've been battling chronic iron def. anemia for several years and had heavy cycles and fibroids.

Since October my blood count has been steadily dropping and nothing we do compensates. Iron, B12, Vit D are all way low - probably somewhat associated with being a post-op gastric bypass patient. This week I'm getting a transfusion to try to catch up.

So I've been dealing with the anemia a long time now and I recently moved to another state to be near my family. So I have a new doctor. It's a blessing that he actually wanted to get to the bottom of my anemia issues (outside of the bypass, because this is extreme) but I don't think I was quite prepared for what they would find. I just figured it'd be another shot or a pill.

I ended up in Gyno, Gastro enterology, and Hematology consults...And I have problems in all three. So the first to ring in is Gyno....recommendation was hysterectomy due to heavy cycles/fibroids/prolapse and removing 1 ovary that has a large hemorraghic cyst on it that's torqing on the ovary...

I found this out last week and I'm only 33. I wasn't 'done' yet with having more kids and really struggling. I always figured this was out in the future and everyone around me is saying....this is good. You'll feel so better afterwards, while I know that in my head. I'm really not sure in my heart...even though I know the risks of another child with these issues...I just wasn't ready to hear that I needed this surgery.

Because of my anemia and such I'm not getting much time to adjust...they are talking about doing this the first week of Jan.

Since I've lost 140 lbs. from Gastric Bypass that creates another issue with having a large panus, so we are working with a plastic surgeon to do a tummy tuck at the same time since I had trouble healing after my daughters c-section.

I'm tired, don't feel good, and don't really talk to my friends because they always roll their eyes and make me feel like I'm whining. I feel overwhelmed with all that's going into getting this taken care of...the dr's appts, the money, taking care of my kiddo's and so forth.

I apologize for giving a lot of background...but how to you cope? How do you accept what all this means?

Thanks for listening,
Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM

I found out October 8th I would be having a hyst. Didn't confirm it until the beginning of November. I am 35. I am too young for this too. But then I thought of dealing with this for 20-25 more years and said......I want to live life not hide in pain. I have one son. Would have loved to have another but am glad to have him.

Writing out your feelings is the beginning of "coping." It is ok to get angry and sad. Read, read, read here. These ladies are wonderful at listening and motivating.

HUGS
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Im sorry your feeling so torn and they are pushing this so fast. I am done with kids (husband has vasectomy) and i was hoping for a hyst when i finally went to my doctor so I dont share those feelings but I do understand. You will feel so much better after this is all said and done. Is there any way to do a D&C and shave the fibroids down to give you couple years with fertility ??? Or maybe get a second opinion just to see if something less could be done if you are looking to have another child. Just some options because you shouldnt be forced into something you are not comfortable with. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 07:25 PM

This is the place to whine, and we promise not to roll our eyes! I was never able to have children, so when it was time to give up my uterus, I didn't feel as though I was giving much more than pain and weakness and periods from hell, so I guess it was easier for me in that respect. Whenever I was tempted to ask, why me?, I just told myself that I was lucky that a surgery was available to me that would fix my problems. I know this can feel overwhelming. If you're not convinced this is for you, though, do get a second opinion, see if it's possible to maybe just remove the fibroids. You have to be satisfied that the hysterectomy is the only way to deal with your symptoms. Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:53 PM

I understand your overwhelmed feeling. I am there as well. My surgery is scheduled for 1/2/08. I have been dealing with my fibroids for about 12 years. I had surgery to remove them in 1999 when I was 34. I had no children and had no plans on having any at that time but did not want to limit my options. It is now 8 years later almost to the month and I will be having a hysterectomy (hopefully leaving my ovaries) and I still have no children. I guess I never will at this point. No one can really understand how overwhelmed I am with this decision. Please make sure that you get a second option and discuss your options openly. My OB/GYN has been wonderful throughout this process. She has made herself available by email and telephone when I am having a mini breakdowns.

This website has been wonderful for me. I have read so many of the discussions and it has helped me to ask the questions and research answers.

I say Whine all you want!!!
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:27 PM

It really comes in waves...the overwhelmed feeling that is. It's already helping to read these posts. I swear its like I get PMS and get irritable for no reason or I get all teary with little notice.

I think part of it is just getting everything nailed down as far and what, when, where and then I can deal. I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon on Thurs. and getting an Iron treatment and possibly a blood transfusion that afternoon. So I may have more info on that after that appointment. My gyno is supposed to have spoken with the plastics guy before I see him so they can work together to get a timeframe for me.

Thanks for your support. It's really making a difference.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register