How long in hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy? Have been told 24 hours? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long in hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy? Have been told 24 hours? How long in hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy? Have been told 24 hours?

Unread 07-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Re: How long in hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy? Have been told 24 hours?

For me it was 2 days. I went in for the surgery on a Tuesday, and I went home on Thursday. I was ready to go home to my own bed by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Re: How long in hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy? Have been told 24 hours?

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on June 23 and I stayed 4 days... So It really depends on your Dr and how well your doing, and what all they did inside you. I had so many lesions and scar tissue, and I didn't even know I had endometriosis until they opened me, I was In For cysts and other things wrong. I was covered, my bladder also. My colon had twisted because of it, and it had grown thru my uterus and attached itself to my inside wall. I was so sore, just now 4 weeks post op and still sore. So every situation will be different as to when you will go home. All my best wishes to you.

KK
Unread 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM

For me, I was told prior to surgery I would be in at least 5 nights. My surgery was at 830 Wednesday morning and I was released early Sunday afternoon. I escaped the last night by showing I could walk, pee, pass gas. My BM came around 7-9 days post op. I was glad I stayed the 4 night. It helped my pain management, my steadiness, and sleeping. I was more than ready to be able to crawl in my bed when I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
I had a TAH on June 5 and spent one night in the hospital, it was fine and I was MORE than ready to go home. Was bored within 3 hrs of waking up from surgery. They woke me up at 5 am the next morning to rake blood, I took a shower after, got dressed in my own clothes, ordered and ate a bagel and then paced the halls for three hours hoping they would got sick of watching me and discharge me quickly. It worked!
Really? so you felt ok? not much pain to get up? is it really like a C section?
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Taylor, truly I never felt pain. Getting up, I was being careful not to open anything up, but I can't say that it was painful. I never needed narcotics or anything. I have never had a c section, but for me it really was very easy. i think my dr did a great job!
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM

thanks so much, Im getting nervous as I will have mine on 7-30

how did you prepare? or how are you feeling now?
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:02 PM

Hey Taylor,
I fully understand your nervousness, I was really nervous with mine also. I spent two nights in the hospital, the worse thing was the awful gas pains! I did use my narcortics, I have since two weeks in....have cut back to only one in the morning and one at nite. and using ibuprofen in between. My incision does not bother me, it was all the work inside that the dr did is where the sorness is. My advice is get your self ready now, if your not yet, by eating your greens or drinking them like I do, and walking a lot. cause that is what helps for recovery faster. Everyone is diff. some women breeze through it all and other don't.....by the way did I mention that I am 63yrs. old? haha.......so if I can come out on top you will too. Good luck, and enjoy the rest time!
Unread 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM

I went in on Monday and was home by Wednesday afternoon. My blood pressure was pretty low but I kept it just high enough to avoid an extra day in the hospital.
Unread 07-26-2014, 08:24 PM
How long in hospital for a total abdominal hysterectomy? Have been told 24 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegetha View Post
I went in on Monday and was home by Wednesday afternoon. My blood pressure was pretty low but I kept it just high enough to avoid an extra day in the hospital.
I had my tah at 7:30 on a Wednesday and was released Friday evening. My bladder was stuck to my uterus and that caused some problems with my urine output but I still only stayed two nights. I wanted to stay longer because I have two toddlers but my dr wouldn't let me. I was fine to leave though.
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM

It all depends on your surgery and your doctor. Depending on which way your hysterectomy is performed and what your Dr's practices are. I had a total hysterectomy via daVinci on 7/14 and my Dr told me some people are well enough to go home that day but his practice is to keep his patience over night. I got out of surgery at 3pm and was discharged at 11am the next morning. Best of luck to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register