?'s about work, nausea, back problems, etc. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

?'s about work, nausea, back problems, etc. ?'s about work, nausea, back problems, etc.

Unread 09-20-2008, 07:13 AM
?'s about work, nausea, back problems, etc.

My surgery is Sept 30. i'm having the bladder sling, TAH w/ colpopexy (?, the vaginal cuff mesh thingy ).
I have several questions.

1-I work retail, on my feet 6-8 hrs each shift. My dr said I'd be out probably 6 wks. I'm concerned about returning to work and being able to stand for even 4 hrs and being able to do my job. She has said already no lifting, no opening boxes, etc but I do alot of bending,et c. Any suggestions?

2- I'm terrified of being nauseated/sick afterwards. I know the pain meds can do that and I dont' deal wtih pain meds very good, tylenol/advil make me feel wierd. Not sure how I'll deal with morphine

3-I have several sublexations in my back, am under chiro care. My neck and lower back/right hip are the two major problems. I don't have the movement I should in my right hip. I'm concerned about how I will be laying.
She is doing the hyster abdominally but the bladder sling vaginal. So, will my legs be up in stirrups? I go back to the chiro next week so going to talk with him and see if he can give me any suggestions.

Sorry this is alot but I'm getting a bit anxious about the whole thing.
I had a break down yesterday. Whew!! REady for this to be over with.
Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2008, 01:45 PM

I didn't return to work until 8 weeks but I didn't have any extra work done, was told to stay out for an additional 2 weeks after 6 weeks because my vaginal cuff still had all the stitches. I talked to my Dr. about my job because it is fast paced and very hectic and I am on my feet and traveling all over the plant making sure stuff is getting done and ready to be shipped out the next day and am constantly on my feet. My Dr. put me on reduced hours of 4 hrs. a day for the first 2 weeks, so I could ease back into the job again. Make sure you talk to your Dr. about everything that is involved with your job and let her know what you think you can tolerate and what you can't so she can write out a restriction paper for you. I asked my Dr. if he could include on my paper: To be able to take frequent breaks as needed, Return home if needed, Change into comfortable clothing if needed. We wear uniforms and they are not giving. He said whatever restrictions I needed in order to be comfortable. He was very understanding. If you are concerned about certain issues maybe you could write some down and see if she will add them to your restrictions.

Talk to your Dr. about your concerns about the pain meds. and how you are afraid of being nauseated by them. They can give you something that will help with that.

I am pretty sure if she doing something vaginally then your legs will be in stirrups. Yopu should voice all your concerns with your Dr. and maybe she will figure a way to do something that will be more benifital for you. And by voicing all your concerns with your Dr. she will better understand what your concerns are.
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:55 PM

Definitely talk to your doctor about the meds and nausea. You might be able to see if your doc will do an epidural (if your back allows) with sedation instead of a general anasthaetic. I had that and it was AWESOME. None of the side effects or nausea of a general anastesia, and the epidural was turned into a "walking epidural" while I was in recovery, so no need for morphine. Hopefully there are other options for pain relief for when you get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Hi Celerystalk,

I pulled something in my upper back about 3 months ago and I go the Chiro at least once a week for adjusting.

I actually went the day before my surgery and told him to adjust everything that he could because I couldn't go back for at least 6 sixs. We went into several details about the surgery because his wife experienced just about the same thing. He also told me that if I was hurting in my upper back he could still adjust there without it effecting my lower body.

You may consider an extended visit with your Chiro and tell him about your upcoming surgery and I bet he has a few tricks he can share with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register