What are the questions to ask? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are the questions to ask? What are the questions to ask?

Unread 08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
What are the questions to ask?

I will be going to get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd opinion. My first dr. wants to do a partial hyst. leave my ovaries. She suggested this about 5 years. I have put this off. One because I had small children so I wouldn't be able to lift. I also didn't feel like it was that bad. I am 35 now. I am sure I am done having children. My monthly periods are enough of a problem. Every time I go for a pap she doesn't see how I can still use a tampon or have sex because my uterus is so prolapsed.

After reading all these posts though, I am not sure what questions to ask the doctors. Surgical menapause? What is that. HRT what is that? Everyone keeps using intials to explain their procedures. I need cliff notes. I have no idea what they have had done. I want to be sure I get all my answers.

My dr says I can do this surg. have a down time of two weeks and be back teaching 4yr old preschool 3 mornings a week after that. Is that realistic? I just don't know what to expect.

Anyone have answers for me?

Miss Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Dear Miss Deb

I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) and was off of work for 6 weeks. I wouldn't have been able to work taking care of small children at two weeks. Personally, I don't think that's reasonable. I would get another opinion.

There is a place on here (don't know where, on the home page I think) that explains the abbreviations. It took me a while to figure them all out, and there are a couple on here I still haven't figured out.

Take a list of your questions and take notes of the answers. You can always go back/call and ask more questions.

Here's hoping you have an uneventful surgery and recovery.

Unread 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM

Hi There!

Here are the Abbreviations used on the website. In the future, to find them, click on "Quick Links" in the lavender bar near the top right of this page. "Abbreviations" is listed near the bottom of the menu.

Surgical menopause happens when the ovaries are removed. Since you are keeping your ovaries, you shouldn't have to worry about that. HRT means "hormone replacement therapy" which, again, is primarily used for women who have their ovaries removed. There is no need for you to be concerned about these things at this point, since it's unlikely they will pertain to you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2005, 10:30 PM

Dear Miss Deb:

Kudos to you for seeking out a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion. My doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind for me than doc #3.

85% of hysts are elective, done for quality of life reasons. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 08-13-2005, 10:31 PM

Hi MissDeb,

it sounds like maybe your 1st Dr. is recommending a laparoscopic hyst, such as a LAVH or a LSH.

I had a LSH and I went back to work, slowly, at 2 weeks with a Dr's okay. A laparoscopic hyst is a less invasive hyst. I am one year post-op from my LSH and I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register